Hello From Australia

Welcome to Agaveville! Please stop in and tell us a little bit about yourself and your gardening interests.
AgaveAdam
Rhizome

Hello From Australia

Post by AgaveAdam »

Hi all, thought I'd jump on this forum hoping to learn more about what I'm keeping.

I'm based in Australia, any other members here from Down Under?

Have recently gotten into keeping succulents, mainly keeping Agave but have bits and pieces of other stuff also, Haworthia being a fave though.

Have recently bought through eBay here in Australia some bits and pieces, some of which I'm not 100% sure are so thought I'd jump on an Agave specific forum to find out exactly what I have, also collected some bits and pieces locally around town and would like to know what they are.

I currently have A. potatorum (I think), A. parryi (I think), A. americana, A. attenuata (LOTS), A. desmettiana 'Variegata' (Pups), A. titanota, A. victoriae-reginae, A. victoriae-reginae variegata (Pups), A. shoji (Pup), also have some of what I got this morning, no idea of what they are but will take a photo later and post on here.

Also, am wanting to know if it's possible to propagate Agave from leaves, cuttings taken off, left to heal, dipped in honey and planted into a well drained soil, kept moist for a few weeks, is it possible at all, or a waste of time?

Would love to be able to get a hold of more, just a matter of finding nice pieces, mainly keen on the 'rosette' forms of Agave, beautiful looking plants for sure.

Thank You.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: Hello From Australia

Post by Spination »

Welcome. We have several members from Down Under, so you won't be alone.

Interested in seeing what you have in the way of Haworhia as I understand there are avid collectors and nice collections there.

Regarding the propagation of Agave by leaves - no can do. The only propagation that comes by way of tissue taken from the plant is the use of meristem when labs do Tissue Culture propagation. Otherwise - seeds, offsets, and bulbils.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Welcome, it's nice to have you here!
AgaveAdam
Rhizome

Post by AgaveAdam »

Thanks guys, in regards to Haworthia, I have H. attenuata, H. tessellata, H. attenuata, H. glauca, H. limifolia, H. nigra, H. reinwardtii, H. retusa, had more but lost them over a winter.

Love the H. tessellata though.
AgaveAdam
Rhizome

Post by AgaveAdam »

Also have some Gasterias, Gasteraloes as well, some really nice pieces all sitting in an old wheelbarrow in the garden, haha.