Newbie from Norcal

Welcome to Agaveville! Please stop in and tell us a little bit about yourself and your gardening interests.
Ellebracht

Newbie from Norcal

Post by Ellebracht »

Hi,

I'm a big fan of succulents from Fremont, CA. This forum looks great and it's fun to come across so many like-minded people.

I could use some help with a plant ID. I bought this plant a few years ago at the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden but it's not there anymore. It's easy to grow, flowers readily every summer, is attractive to native bees and is easy to propagate from division. I would've posted this request in another subforum but I'm not sure which one is appropriate.

Thanks in advance!

Ed E.
Attachments
Basal closeup
Basal closeup
IMG_20170730_135632314_HDR.jpg (129.77 KiB) Viewed 954 times
Entire plant with flower
Entire plant with flower
IMG_20170730_135608990_HDR.jpg (199.87 KiB) Viewed 954 times
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Re: Newbie from Norcal

Post by Paul S »

Hi Ed. Not a succulent - it is Eryngium pandanifolium, one of the pale flowered variants (check out the cv 'Physic Purple'), that is native to many South American countries. Despite their succulent looks they actually like water - to the extent they can actually be grown in pond margins. When thus grown they can get rather large! 8-10ft high in flower with leavesn 4ft or longer. They do get by in dry beds, though, as your picture demonstrates.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: Newbie from Norcal

Post by Stan »

Fremont is a stones throw from me. One of the best climates in norcal. On hills it can be frost free and summers can be nice and warm. You can grow almost anything.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.