New member from San Diego

Welcome to Agaveville! Please stop in and tell us a little bit about yourself and your gardening interests.
reality_velo
Bulbil

New member from San Diego

Post by reality_velo »

Hello all, my name is Kellen from north county San Diego, Escondido/Valley Center. Awesome site with lots of great info and photos. I'm mostly interested in aloes but I enjoy all cacti and succulents! I have a small collection of mixed plants but aloes are my main enjoyment. I'll be sure to post some photos of my plants and plants I come across in the gallery sections.

Re-potted aloes in my small collection, along with the plants my collection its growing every week!
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Re: New member from San Diego

Post by Azuleja »

Welcome! As you can probably tell, we love aloes too. :U
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

I think it's fair to say if agaves are #1 in Agaveville, aloes are #2.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Nice start. Whats in the greenhouse? We do have "Others" section for other types of plants. I dabble in everything.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
reality_velo
Bulbil

Post by reality_velo »

Thanks for the kind welcomes!

The greenhouse if full of our other plants, aloe, agave, haworthia, gasterias, conophytums, cacti, etc.. I live in a very small area so its cramped. The photos below were taken 2 years ago, its completely full now and expanding outside the greenhouse!

My main goal is to be able to one day own a property where i can plant a lot of the stuff in the ground, especially the aloes and agave, but until then everything I have is in pots. ::x

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I'll echo the welcomes and also pleased that the Aloe collective here continues to grow. The more the merrier. :))
Brooksphilly
Ready to Bolt

Post by Brooksphilly »

Wow, really beautiful plants. Stunning. So glad you have joined the group.
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

Welcome Kellen! That's a nice collection of plants you have there. I like your row of aloes in your original post. Is that an Aloe vanbalenii in the 4th large pot from the left with the bright red coloration?
reality_velo
Bulbil

Post by reality_velo »

Thanks everyone!

Aloe vanbalenii it is! One of my favorites!
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Very pretty. Feel free to add it to the aloe gallery, here.
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

reality_velo wrote:Aloe vanbalenii it is! One of my favorites!
Wonderful plant, great color!

A month or so ago I ran across A. vanbalenii on another website and here in the gallery. I wanted to added it to my wish list, but for the life of me, I could not remember what it was or where I saw it. So last weekend I sat down and went through the aloe galleries, one by one, A...B...C... By about N or O I was thinking I'd never find it. But I pressed on, and finally, in the V's, eureka! A. vanbalenii, that's it!

On seeing your photo I thought that just had to be A. vanbalenii, with its beautiful red and unique growth form. Nicely grown! :U

It's now very high on my wish list.
jayhouseplant
Rhizome

Post by jayhouseplant »

reality_velo wrote:Hello all, my name is Kellen from north county San Diego, Escondido/Valley Center. A

Welcome!

I'm also a new member from SoCal. I was wondering if you ever visited http://www.grigsby.cactus-mall.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ? It's located in Vista, CA. I'm planning to visit, but I'd like to know if you ever visited and how you like the nursery before driving there.

-Jay
reality_velo
Bulbil

Post by reality_velo »

jayhouseplant wrote:
reality_velo wrote:Hello all, my name is Kellen from north county San Diego, Escondido/Valley Center. A

Welcome!

I'm also a new member from SoCal. I was wondering if you ever visited http://www.grigsby.cactus-mall.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ? It's located in Vista, CA. I'm planning to visit, but I'd like to know if you ever visited and how you like the nursery before driving there.

-Jay
Hello Jay,

Yes I have been to Grigsby before, actually just last week i stopped by and brought home some goodies!
They have a large selection, lots of variety. I would definitely recommend going. The specimen plants on the property are insane :o !
If your going to be in the area, I would make a few stops around north county San Diego, there are a ton of awesome cacti/succulent nursery's. Rancho Soledad is amazing, as well as Desert Theater too!
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Beautiful setup and plants! Love your shelves & arrangement of the different sized pots. Very aesthetically pleasing.
reality_velo
Bulbil

Post by reality_velo »