New member So. Cal.

Welcome to Agaveville! Please stop in and tell us a little bit about yourself and your gardening interests.
OLD BLUE
Rhizome

New member So. Cal.

Post by OLD BLUE »

Hi all. Thanks for allowing me to join your forums. I have been lurking around here for quite a while and know there is a lot of great sharing of information and experiences by a number of active members. First, my handle is Old Blue, my name is Dennis. The Old is because I am old and now happily retired. I was a Blue, having umpired youth and a little adult baseball part time for a number of years. I live at the edge of the desert where East Los Angeles and West San Bernardino counties come together. I became interested in cactus and succulents because my mother-in-law bought a weekend home in Baja back in the 60’s and she just loved Dudleyas. Over the years she gave me a few and eventually she gave me all of her succulents when she couldn’t manage their care. She eventually sold her original Baja home that had Dudleya brittonii all around the house and almost every year they self sowed. I have a varied collection of things I like, Dudleya, Echeveria, Haworthia, Aloe, small Agave and a few odds and ends. I don’t have a huge amount of any specific type. I don’t have a greenhouse, I grow everything outdoors, some in the ground and some in pots. In the summer I use shade structures to protect the plants from our blazing sun. I have a few noid plants and will eventually ask for help for names on some of my noids. Oh, we did inherit grandmas new Baja house at a golf coarse so I do have a number of succulents at the Baja home. I am looking forward to spending more time commiserating with people like myself, as my wife calls us, C & S plant nerds.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: New member So. Cal.

Post by Gee.S »

Welcome aboard! Plenty of Californians about, and we're always happy to see more.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Welcome, glad you've joined us!
OLD BLUE
Rhizome

Post by OLD BLUE »

Thank you for the nice welcome.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

LA here too, Sunset z. 23. What's your zone?
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Welcome!
OLD BLUE
Rhizome

Post by OLD BLUE »

I am at the edge of LA county east, 9b. Frost every 8 to 10 years. The only plants I have lost in the winter were Euphorbia.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

I thought you were from Cal Berkeley- but welcome anyways!
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.