Too Late now...

Use this forum to request changes, language packs, other additions or to report a problem. Comments are also welcome.
Harriet
Bulbil

Too Late now...

Post by Harriet »

I know it is too much work to do now, and if done, should have been done at the inception of this site, but, there is one thing that would make this site "perfect" for non-experts like me. I would like a search function that would allow me to enter basic identifiers like plant size and shape, leaf shape, leaf color and variations, and spine color, then produce a list of plants that match or are similar. It would be nice for both agave and aloe.

Just saying.

Not that it isn't nice to have the experts tell me what I have, but the comparisons help me learn more about the plants and how to "see" them.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Too Late now...

Post by Gee.S »

That is a fine idea Harriet, I would also enjoy such an app. If anyone here is smart enough to build it, please step up. :))

First step would be to build data sets (lists) of features, graduations, and species fitting each criteria. Sans an actual app, these lists might be quite helpful in and of themselves.

In the meantime, our best ID tool in the Agave arena is our Photo Gallery Tour, and I believe Geoff has plans along similar lines in the Aloe department.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"