Agave parryi v. truncata variegated

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.
Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Agavaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
leo25
Offset

Agave parryi v. truncata variegated

Post by leo25 »

One of my favorites. Agave parryi, v. truncata variegated

GreekDesert
Ready to Bolt

Re: Agave parryi v. truncata variegated

Post by GreekDesert »

Another variegated Agave parryi var. truncata
Attachments
truncata.jpg
truncata.jpg (87.51 KiB) Viewed 5360 times
leo25
Offset

Post by leo25 »

Very nice clon, is your plant?
GreekDesert
Ready to Bolt

Post by GreekDesert »

No, i took the photo in the biggest private Agave collection of Europe...in Belgium.
WhalesToungueAgave
Offset

Post by WhalesToungueAgave »

Here is my Agave Parryi Truncata var. Varigated
Attachments
100_2763 (1077 x 607).jpg
100_2763 (1077 x 607).jpg (58.39 KiB) Viewed 4935 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

A group shot of my first five - four years ago.
2014 01 25 parryi Truncata var group a.jpg
2014 01 25 parryi Truncata var group a.jpg (112.06 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
Four years later (2018), same 5 in the new group shot, but bigger, and a couple more acquired along the way. Top one, and four in a row below the next two are the original five.
2018 02 05 A parryi Truncata Yellow Group Shot b.jpg
2018 02 05 A parryi Truncata Yellow Group Shot b.jpg (148.55 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
There's a few like this, with 3 colors. There's the green, the yellow, and big blue stripes here and there than run the length of some leaves
2018 02 05 A parryi Truncata Florida #1.jpg
2018 02 05 A parryi Truncata Florida #1.jpg (108.24 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
Top view of another with the random blue stripes
2018 02 05 A parryi Truncata Yellow blue stripes.jpg
2018 02 05 A parryi Truncata Yellow blue stripes.jpg (197.86 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

Spotted these clones from Rancho (RSN) today, 3-gallon pots. Over $180 a piece! Too rich for my blood. :shock:
IMG_7366.JPG
IMG_7366.JPG (110.85 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
IMG_7371.JPG
IMG_7371.JPG (93.62 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
IMG_7372.JPG
IMG_7372.JPG (87.38 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
IMG_7368.JPG
IMG_7368.JPG (105.17 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

For the size, I think that's a very good deal, all considered.
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

Spination wrote:For the size, I think that's a very good deal, all considered.
Perhaps. But Rancho sells these to the nursery for $84/each. I thought 125% markup was reserved for furniture and jewelry? Guys down the street, a smaller operation no less, sell 3-gallon Rancho agaves at about 10%-20% markup. Granted, everyone's business is different, but you can't help but feel you're being bent over with that kind of pricing. :shock:
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

I've had one for years. It's about 6" across. Don't waste your money. I have a Sunspot, too. It's about 8" across. Just junk.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

Are these stingy with offsets? I checked every one of the 3 or 4 pots they had and didn't see a single one.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Sunspot offsets, but not the truncata.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Of my specimens pictured above, the sizes in descending order are 13", 12", 11", 10" (x 2), and then smaller. None are yet of size to pup yet, although I am hopeful this will change for the largest 3 in the next couple of years. Also, I'm contemplating coring one (??? undecided) to force propagates (but it does seems like sacrilege to do that to one of these ::wink:: ). In spite of TC specimens having invaded the market within the last number of years, it's apparent that demand has still outstripped supply, judging from prices achieved in competition for available plants on Ebay. I let a few go on Ebay this last year to thin my collection and make more space for other things, and the last in December went for $102.50 - a plant 5" in diameter, from tip to tip. Personally, if I were in the market to acquire any more, I would gladly pay $180 for a large one, rather than $100 for one less than 1/2 the size, and at least 5 years of growing left to get there.

Regarding the markup, I think it's not too relevant. First, RSN products are of limited availability. I never see anything RSN up here in the Bay Area. You guys are lucky they make it to Arizona, but I think that's a function of conducive climate for growing and associated interest in these types of succulents. Colder Northern California is probably not a great market... San Marcos Growers and Monterrey Bay Nursery is about all I see up here, and nothing ever as exotic/desirable as A. parryi Truncata Variegated. Also, in order to buy that for $84, one generally needs to be a nursery (or other associated business) to qualify for the wholesale price, and all that entails: A location that would provide a reasonable patronage to make business worthwhile (and the associated cost), licenses, ag inspections and so on...etc. Also, I don't think anyone is going to get rich on this particular 125% markup. When prices get up there in that range, potential customers are limited (Desert Dweller's comment about "too rich"). You can make a profit by volume, or by a greater markup which makes stocking something that probably won't move too fast feasible. Once the plant gets to that sort of size, it pretty much limits the customer base to drop ins, as shipping becomes problematic. So, it's entirely possible the nursery may sit on that inventory for a while before they move. Time and space are money, so probably not a real money-maker...

As far as junk - eye of the beholder. Exotics, rarities will always attract a following, and people who can will pay what it takes to get what is apparently irresistible. D))

Edit - regarding offsets, Monger has in the past informed that they need to get pretty big before they offset. For all I know, I could be waiting another 5 years before my largest finally decides to do it.

DD - I expect if I use my blue quite large Truncata as a proxy - offsetting was quite sparing when small. Now that it's almost 2' wide - it has suddenly gone wild. Out of seemingly nowhere, since last summer, there are 16 offsets of varying size by quick count growing all around. An apparent benefit too, is a big plant like this makes big offsets really, really fast! If two feet is the real benchmark, then I might be waiting 10 more years before my variegates get pupping. :roll:
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Regarding Gee's comment that these plants are junk, I am sure he is referring to how glacially slow they are. Outdoors, you are lucky if they replace a lost leaf with a new leaf at the same speed that they lose them. I have four of these, and they are among the slowest plants I have. They always seem to look pretty good, just stuck in hibernation most of the year. I have many other truncata variegates; all are much, much faster than this clone (and I wouldn't consider them particularly fast; but at least they seem to "plug along"). I don't understand why this clone is so agonizingly slow; it seems to have plenty of normal tissue to produce energy, and doesn't seem to ever look bad (my plants are in full sun). I originally obtained them from Rancho Tissue Technologies as young cell-pack plants. I think that they may be a sort of "mutant" that resulted from normal truncata in the tissue-culture process. Sometimes these tissue-culture "aberrant" plants seem somehow "stuck"; they just don't seem to want to grow much for no apparent reason. My plants have not offset; they are three-gallon plants on the smallish side.

If I was to sum up my feelings on this clone, I would call it a very, very slow collector-only plant. It is just way too slow to justify production by a wholesale nursery. I am sure I have many times also called the plant "junk" when discussing it over a beer with my cohorts.

Perhaps this clone might pick up speed a little bit if "forced" in a constantly hot and humid greenhouse environment with high night-time temperatures. The problem with that is that a lot of Agaves never look quite right when grown in a greenhouse; the plant suffers a lot from etiolation, and the upright rosette form with natural deep coloration is nearly impossible to achieve under "forced" conditions. It might be worth a try in the ground in Hawaii or Thailand, where at least it should look "pretty" even though very slow-growing.

Perhaps I will try one in the ground before giving up completely and selling my plants off to the first person that offers me some serious coin for them. :red:

Spiny: You might have better results with propagation by planting your largest one out; I would think planting "in the ground" might speed up the plant a little, and eventually lead to more offsets faster. Certainly the plant would eventually adapt and show more "normal" form and coloration, looking more like the Rancho Soledad plants in Desert Dweller's post above. I would think that coring one of these might more likely lead to the plant setting back dramatically, and certainly there could be a high percentage chance that it would lead to the plant's demise. I guess that if you did it in a greenhouse in April you might increase the odds of success a little.

The Monger
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

This will be my first year with all of my specimens soaking up full sun, at least until mid afternoon, so I'm expecting better color contrast, and better form over time. A couple experimented with last year showed promising results, so out go all the rest. Also, it's early enough in the year so they can acclimate themselves to the new sun situation before it really starts getting hot later on - hoping to avoid sunburning.

Regarding TC and "stuck" growth - I think I've seen that now with a couple of HBG KZ fantasy aloe hybrids. It appears this mode can last for some time, but then eventually the situation rights itself, and then good growing ensues.

I think I'll take your advice and plant out my largest - except that instead of in the ground, I'm going to use a big oak barrel I had originally intended for an Aloe polyphylla (too small for that now!). In that barrel, the truncata will have tons of room to do whatever it might want to do if it were in the ground itself.

Here is another different variegation scheme I have, growing for 6 years now, and shown in an 8" clay pot. It's a much slower grower than the yellow variegates... Also, having been put outside since late last year, I'm finally seeing an improvement in the coloring/contrast of variegation. I'm hoping this trend continues, and eventually displays some real yellow in contrast to the green.
2018 02 12 A parryi Truncata Striata c.jpg
2018 02 12 A parryi Truncata Striata c.jpg (107.45 KiB) Viewed 4393 times
Souljacker42
Rhizome

Post by Souljacker42 »

My agave parryi truncata variegated is a really nice blue green colour.
My agave parryi truncata variegated is a really nice blue green colour.
image.jpg (137.97 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Plus the OP photo looks color enhanced.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

^ That's pretty much how they look, if they get enough sun.
Agave

Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

I saw an offset of one of these go for $600 on eBay a couple weeks ago. Crazy
Austin, Texas