Agave desmettiana

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.
Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Agavaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!

Agave desmettiana

Post Number:#1  Postby Gee.S » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:37 pm

Agave desmettiana Jacobi (1866)
Sisalanae

Nurseries 030.JPG
A. desmettiana
Nurseries 030.JPG (93.05 KiB) Viewed 430 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, and others walk the walk, but we stalk the stalk"
Gee.S
Site Admin

Re: Agave desmettiana

Post Number:#2  Postby bigdaddyscondition » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:37 pm

One day a few years ago my wife saw an inflorescence on the devil's strip along Tahquitz Canyon Way in Palm Springs and took a bulbil-laden panicle. I potted a couple of bulbils, and here is one, just three or four years later. It's my biggest Agave desmettiana. Note the three inflorescences, two bearing flowers and seed pods and one bearing bulbils. As if that weren't enough, this species or cultivar also offsets like mad. It's got all the propagation bases covered.
Attachments
desmet1.jpg
desmet1.jpg (182.85 KiB) Viewed 114 times
bigdaddyscondition
Bulbil

Re: Agave desmettiana

Post Number:#3  Postby andyjohns1217 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:12 pm

Nice! The The Agave desettiana is one of my favorites. Since the flowers typically bloom in the spring/early summer you have plenty of time to enjoy them. The arid and dry surroundings make a perfect backdrop for these beautiful plants. I love looking at them, but we've got junk removal, and sometimes people have no appreciation for these plants. I've seen several of them tossed out for no good reason

Andy
andyjohns1217

Previous topic Next topic

Return to Agavaceae Gallery