Agave ‘Black and Blue’

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.
Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Agavaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Agave ‘Black and Blue’

Post by Viegener »

I got this a year ago uncertain if it really was different from the nice light Agave titanotas from Rancho Tambor that I had. But I'm pretty certain it is now, and think it's a stunning plant. The combination of the blue tones with the black spines is really striking. Am I correct that this is a Kelly Griffin selection? (Behind it is a huge clump of A. americana that I've been beating back. It's a good index though of a nicely blue agave leaf.)
Attachments
Agave titanota ‘Black and Blue’ RSN.JPG
Agave titanota ‘Black and Blue’ RSN.JPG (80.88 KiB) Viewed 9260 times
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Re: Agave titanota ‘Black and Blue’

Post by Agavemonger »

Yes, it is a Kelly Griffin selection.

I agree with Ron's comment directly below. ::wink::

The Monger
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Agave titanota ‘Black and Blue’

Post by Gee.S »

^ Of some Agave species, we know not what.... Might be better to go by Agave 'Black and Blue'.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Viegener
Ready to Bolt

Re: Agave ‘Black and Blue’

Post by Viegener »

Switched to A. 'Black and Blue', but now someone has to tell me what species they think this is. It hardly looks entirely unlike A. titanota, right? So, a hybrid? Or do we have to wait for Greg Starr & Daniel Serrano to unravel this?
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Whatever it is it's a handsome plant.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Thanks for sharing that picture - it's the first time I've seen a larger plant that wasn't Kelly's original stock photo. I've got a 3-incher moving along...
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Mathias: This is a very complex (and, needless to say, controversial) problem, as there is much introgression among many Agave species in the broader area of Mexico where these theoretically "related" species originate from.

Until further research elucidates, or at least points towards, some more definitive answer(s), it might be safest to consider your beautiful plant as "undefined".

In the meantime, you are correct in listing this plant, and many others, only by the cultivar name (without an associated species name).

In other words: Agave cv. 'Black And Blue', Agave cv. 'Filagree', Agave cv. 'Genryu Kifukurin', etc.

Cultivars are just that: cultivated plants that are true to the parent that they have been propagated from, regardless of whether the originally named parent is of a known species, a hybrid, or of unknown parentage.

As collectors and/or nurserymen (or botanists, for that matter), it can be completely frustrating not to be able to easily shoehorn these plants into a box.

From the viewpoint of this admitted armchair observer, a preliminary hypothesis might be that the fieldwork of Starr & Serrano is pointing more and more at a seamless continuum of introgression that may very well call into question the very meaning of "species", at least when it comes to this problematic group. At the very least, there may be a re-alignment of species, including perhaps several new species, to evolve out of this quagmire.

But we certainly are getting ahead of ourselves here! :huh:

Review the several threads on this site posted by Daniel (Agavekiller) and Greg (Agavegreg) for a very in-depth discussion of their ongoing research leading towards sorting out the likely bewildering genetic lines of these plants! ::wink::

The Monger
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

And just a quick note regarding the outdoor cultivation of this cultivar outdoors in freezing temps from my personal experience - don't! I've learned the hard way that this is a likely candidate for pot culture and moved into shelter during alternating too cold/too wet weather (such as that experienced in northern California) - or at least providing special considerations protecting it outside (covering). Otherwise, it's a plant best grown outdoors in a more suitable climate, where freezing isn't an issue. Here, the cold weakens the plant (tissue damage), the wet then provides suitable conditions for fungus/rot.

Aside from that, very nice looking specimen - great job growing it!
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Bravo making it look so good. I saw some at a nursery last summer and they were covered with small black fungus spots. Not a good look and it made me think it might be finicky.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt

Post by Viegener »

I did finally spray a systemic anti-fungal on most of my xeric plants about 10 days ago. I'm pretty against pesticides, herbicides & fungicides (not so opposed to occasional non-organic fertilizers) but I made an exception in this case. The ground is still wet & we're supposed to have rain again tomorrow....
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Post by Luc »

Very nice specimen. I got one, much more smaller, which has correctly undergone the last frost (24/25°F), I hope it will become also a such lovely plant.
keepsmiling
Rhizome

Post by keepsmiling »

Gorgeous :))