Agave 'Blue Ember'

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.
Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Agavaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Geoff

Re: Agave 'Blue Emperor'

Post by Geoff »

private collection in Los Angeles... wow!
Agave Blue Emperor LW.jpg
Agave Blue Emperor LW.jpg (123.45 KiB) Viewed 18436 times
Agave Blue Emperor side view.jpg
Agave Blue Emperor side view.jpg (112.45 KiB) Viewed 18436 times
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Agave 'Blue Ember'

Post by DesertDweller »

Having finally snagged some of these, I figured to add a specific entry to the gallery for this beauty.
A. 'Blue Ember'
A. 'Blue Ember'
IMG_3210.JPG (110.26 KiB) Viewed 17258 times
Margins :shock: :
A. 'Blue Ember'
A. 'Blue Ember'
IMG_3212.JPG (45.65 KiB) Viewed 17258 times
A. 'Blue Ember'
A. 'Blue Ember'
IMG_3214.JPG (56.26 KiB) Viewed 17258 times
A. 'Blue Ember'
A. 'Blue Ember'
IMG_3215.JPG (55.3 KiB) Viewed 17258 times
A. 'Blue Ember'
A. 'Blue Ember'
IMG_3216.JPG (49.67 KiB) Viewed 17258 times
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Re: Agave 'Blue Ember'

Post by Viegener »

Beautiful. So the significant difference between this and A. 'Blue Glow' is the tips here are redder and more pronounced? Or does overall coloring and form also differ.
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

Viegener wrote:Beautiful. So the significant difference between this and A. 'Blue Glow' is the tips here are redder and more pronounced? Or does overall coloring and form also differ.
Compared with 'Blue Glow' in this size, they seem darker to me and even slightly thicker leaves. The shape also seems a bit different. Mature ones I have seen photos of also seem to have different mature leaf shape and coloration, and apparently these have more bud imprinting. They seem a lot closer to the A. v-r x macroacantha clones ('Royal Spine', 'Little Shark', etc.) at this size, although I'm not sure anyone has ever mentioned the exact parentage of 'Blue Ember' to confirm one way or the other.

The main draw is definitely the coloration in the margins though. Just a beautiful plant. :shock:
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

There was a conversation on facebook not too long ago in which Kelly G. said the parentage is unknown to him, but he did name the plant. He said he thinks it might be the same as 'Burnt Burgundy'. I don't buy it....but don't have Blue Ember next to my BB to confirm that. Similar yes.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

OMG, that was a hilarious FB thread!I knew 'Blue Ember' sounded familiar!
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

These are really pretty plants, especially as they get larger. Superb bud printing plus glowing red toothless margins. Probably prettier and fuller than 'Blue Glow', although a tad more delicate and slower-growing. ::wink::

The Monger
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Oh hello, I came across three Blue Embers today. Here's the one I chose side by side with two Blue Glows. It came with a tiny pup and was buried in soggy peat half way up its lower leaves.
Attachments
A. 'Blue Ember' left, A. 'Blue Glow' x2 right
A. 'Blue Ember' left, A. 'Blue Glow' x2 right
20170526_154000-1.jpg (99.94 KiB) Viewed 17208 times
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

This is a quote from Avagemonger in the Bleu Confusion post, which discusses the naming origins for this plant:
Agavemonger wrote:Notice on Agave x 'Blue Ember'... how the older, lower, once younger leaves are curved upward and inward towards the center of the plant, as well as being cupped dramatically. The three pups I have (off of that very plant) now have about 15 or so 3-4" leaves, and they all look dramatically incurved like that! they kind of remind me of an opening lotus flower or artichoke, although more incurved. I am not sure wether Agave x 'Blue Emperor' does that when young or not (I don't think so, though). Very few Agaves have leaves that do that when young (Turn upward and inward), so it appears that this charachteristic will help be an identification factor on small, young plants! :8:
In addition to that, I'll add that the inside of the leaves are slick and smooth but the outsides are rough.
bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

Post by bigdaddyscondition »

Hi everyone, I'm back after a long hiatus. Sorry to have neglected Agaveville, but since I'm planting a couple of F2 offsets from my original Agave 'Blue Emperor' or A. 'Blue Ember' (I'm still profoundly confused about the terminology, as you'll see), I thought I'd chime in.

For a quick review of the taxonomic confusion around the naming of this splendid agave, see Agavemonger's 2014 synopsis here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2694&p=15851&hilit= ... ror#p15851" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Monger references the photo I posted on the now-defunct Xericworld.com of the agave I bought at Rancho Soledad Nursery on October 24, 2012, labeled Agave 'Blue Emperor'. It was either at that visit or a subsequent one that a RSN employee informed me that the name had been changed to Agave 'Blue Ember'.

Following in the footsteps of Agavemonger back in 2014, last night I cruised around the Rancho Tissue Technologies website and found my photo of my agave planted in my back yard, and presented as the agave they're selling as Agave 'Blue Emperor'. Here it is http://ranchotissue.com/product/agave-hyb-blue-emperor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . They apparently scraped the photo from my old Xericworld post (I don't mind).

Here is my original photo from 2012 of the Agave 'Blue Emperor' planted in my back yard. A cropped version of this photo is the one on the Rancho Tissue Technologies website linked above. So...did the 'Blue Ember' name change not stick? It seems there are two distinct hybrids here, the 'Blue Ember' with black spines and a resemblance to 'Royal Spine' and A. macroacantha; and 'Blue Emperor' which has the blood-red spines and leaf margins, and is a larger plant more along the lines of 'Blue Glow'. Beyond that, it seems that confusion still reigns about the correct names of these (this?) hybrid. Informed enlightenment is welcome. Thanks.
Attachments
Agave Blue Emperor.JPG
Agave Blue Emperor.JPG (126.09 KiB) Viewed 17121 times
bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

Here's a screen grab of the Rancho Tissue Technologies web page mentioned above, in case they change it:
Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (64.35 KiB) Viewed 17118 times
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Post by Melt in the Sun »

OK, they have an adult 'Blue Ember' on the 'Blue Ember' photo page. Cool. Then, they have your juvenile 'Blue Ember' on the 'Blue Emperor' photo page. That is dumb...looks like they can't even keep it straight themselves! There is no photo of 'Blue Emperor' shown. I remember seeing one on RTT's site a long time ago...it looks very much like 'Little Shark', just larger and bluer. I have never ever seen 'Blue Emperor' except for that. Never seen anybody post a picture, never seen or heard of any for sale. It might as well be a myth.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

I noticed this exact same thing on the RTT site and just chose to ignore it because it's so pointless. Here is the Blue Emperor description they're using with the Blue Ember photo. It clearly describes a black spined plant.

Also, Big Daddy's Condition, is your photo being used with permission?
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-06-23-16-46-56-1.jpg
Screenshot_2017-06-23-16-46-56-1.jpg (47.2 KiB) Viewed 17117 times
bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

No, azuleja, the photo is not being used with my permission. Here is my Agave 'Blue Ember' (I guess that's the correct name) today, 4 1/2 years after I took the above photo. Now it's 2 1/2 feet tall and 3 1/2 feet wide.
Attachments
Agave Blue Ember or Emperor.jpg
Agave Blue Ember or Emperor.jpg (183.97 KiB) Viewed 17115 times
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Well, you've certainly grown it to perfection.
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

bigdaddyscondition wrote:No, azuleja, the photo is not being used with my permission. Here is my Agave 'Blue Ember' (I guess that's the correct name) today, 4 1/2 years after I took the above photo. Now it's 2 1/2 feet tall and 3 1/2 feet wide.
That is a magnificent mature plant! Don't know that I've ever seen a photo of one this big. Hope mine look half this nice some day! :shock:
bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

Thanks DesertDweller and Azuleja! I do spoil my agaves.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Is it just me or does it look like its getting ready to bloom?
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

All photos on this thread (of the relevant plants) up to this post are of Agave X 'Blue Ember'. ::wink::

Big Daddy: your plant(s) are Agave X 'Blue Ember'. Your offsets are not "F-2". "F-2" means that the plants are second-generation seed-grown plants, not offsets. Your pups are clones of the mother plant, not "F-2" seedlings. Your plant looks gorgeous, by the way! :U

I don't know what it is going to take for R.S.N. to figure out their own introductions, but someone over there should get a clue, along with being awfully embarrassed by this ongoing, ridiculous fiasco! :huh:

The Monger
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

It's also super tacky for a business to swipe photos off the internet for marketing. They sell the plant, so surely they can take their own.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Agavemonger wrote:All photos on this thread (of the relevant plants) up to this post are of Agave X 'Blue Ember'. ::wink::

Big Daddy: your plant(s) are Agave X 'Blue Ember'. Your offsets are not "F-2". "F-2" means that the plants are third generation seed-grown plants, not offsets. Your pups are clones of the mother plant, not "F-2" seedlings. Your plant looks gorgeous, by the way! :U

I don't know what it is going to take for R.S.N. to figure out their own introductions, but someone over there should get a clue, along with being awfully embarrassed by this ongoing, ridiculous fiasco! :huh:

The Monger
Kelly got into a ridiculous brewhaha with Greg in another venue not long ago. Kelly kept insisting that Blue Ember = Burnt Burgundy.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

He probably means 'Blue Emperor'. 'Blue Emperor' and 'Burnt Burgundy' do look a lot alike, but they grow differently for me. 'Blue Emperor' has much more of a blue cast to it, and all of my 'Burnt Burgundy' clones seem to be partially striated.

The Monger
bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

Thanks for the terminology tutorial, Monger. I always was an animal kingdom kind of guy! :D And yes, my Blue Ember will probably spike in the next few months, I'm guessing.
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

bigdaddyscondition wrote:Thanks for the terminology tutorial, Monger. I always was an animal kingdom kind of guy! :D And yes, my Blue Ember will probably spike in the next few months, I'm guessing.
If it does, pictures would be awesome. :U
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Found and saved for the sake of posterity... There were plenty photos too, but no way to copy 'em... Enjoy!
97 Gerhard Bock, Ryo Arakaki and 95 others
Comments
Haroon Mughal
Haroon Mughal Is it different from Blue Emperor?
February 15, 2015 at 8:33am ·
·
Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin yes
March 16 at 9:52pm ·
·
Tony Krock
Tony Krock Do tell Kelly Griffin, and 'Burnt Burgundy'?
March 16 at 10:20pm ·
·
Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin imo Blue ember is the same as Burnt Burgundy (two names one plant)
March 16 at 10:23pm ·
·
Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin Greg does not think so because his look different but mind you his get Arizona sun and are grown hard with no Rancho steroids.
March 16 at 10:36pm · Edited ·
·
Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin Lil shark and Blue Emperor were two selections out of the same grex. They are very similar to royal spine (ie same parent species but not the same cross) as it was done much much earlier by Paul Hutchinson at tropic world nursery. I made lil shark and blue emperor. Greg came up with Burnt Burgundy and P Hutchinson came up with the plant that Allen Repashy TC'd and named Royal Spine.
March 16 at 11:20pm · Edited ·
·
Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin As to the blue ember debacle, I can only say I did not create that plant but I am responsible for the name which I know for a fact that I came up with (so sorry about that) This plant was in TC at the now defunct shady oaks and likewise was later TC'd at RTT. As to the two names, we had a plant that had no name and it was given one. It should be in my opinion dispensed with but none of the parties are going to do that because they both believe it is not the same and I think Rancho likes "their" name better. After all what the hell is burnt burgundy anyway?!
March 16 at 10:36pm ·
·
Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin So to be clear....Royal Spine, Lil Shark, Blue Emperor and Burnt Burgundy (imo AKA Blue Ember) are four different plants with five names. Most would be hard pressed to tell the difference but all four are indeed different. Where this gets more confusing is when the names are used interchangeably (ie misapplied) then of course you are comparing the same plants and trying to see differences that are not there. If there is interest, I will try to illustrate the points with photos but keep in mind the plants look different when not grown in the same environment.
March 16 at 10:43pm ·
·
Tony Krock
Tony Krock Interesting, to say the least. Thank you.
March 16 at 10:49pm ·
·
Greg Starr
Greg Starr Blue ember is not the same plant as burnt burgundy! I can tell you what the hell Burnt burgundy is since I named it 15 years ago. The real question is, what the hell is blue ember?
March 17 at 9:52am ·
·
Danny Russin
Danny Russin I've grown a few burnt burgundy and seen a lot more, including TC plants pumped up with steroids. They are not the same. Both are great...and I'd love to find a 'blue emperor' so I can grow it next to my burnt burgundy...for science purely!
March 17 at 10:56am ·
·
Jeff Harris
Jeff Harris So, cold-hardyish like all the 'Blue Xxxx' group?
March 17 at 12:45pm · Edited ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin What is this? (It is the plant being called "blue ember" just fyi)
1.jpg
1.jpg (107.28 KiB) Viewed 17051 times
March 17 at 4:00pm · Edited ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin And this? (same plant different angle)
2.jpg
2.jpg (115.11 KiB) Viewed 17051 times
March 17 at 4:01pm · Edited ·

Danny Russin
Danny Russin The last looks like the burnt burgundy I have grown, though a little looser in the rosette...chalk that up to CA vs AZ sun. The other has wider leaves and thicker redder margins that are more serrated.
March 17 at 3:17pm ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin And this sport of above
3.jpg
3.jpg (81.18 KiB) Viewed 17050 times
March 17 at 3:17pm ·
·
Danny Russin
Danny Russin Now that's neat. All the BB I have grown or seen have shown a little erratic variegation...not surprising that you've improved it!
March 17 at 3:18pm ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin I will tell you what it is not....it is not royal spine, not Lil shark and not blue emperor. It is what is being called blue ember. If it is not burnt burgundy it stands alone but I would like to see a California grown Burned Burgundy to compare
March 17 at 3:23pm ·

Danny Russin
Danny Russin To which photo(s) are you referring?
March 17 at 3:23pm ·

Danny Russin
Danny Russin I agree that royal spine and little shark are very different and easily distinguished, both from each other and from burnt burgundy or blue ember.
March 17 at 3:24pm ·

Danny Russin
Danny Russin Oops, realized I wrote emperor instead of ember in my first response...I guess maybe that's what you're saying? I have never seen blue emperor.
March 17 at 3:25pm ·

Danny Russin
Danny Russin Agreed. I thought Greg suspected palmeri though...? Not sure if any of his have flowered...one of mine has got to be close (almost 3'). Should be easy to tell palmeri vs pelona influence.
March 17 at 3:31pm ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin The first two are the same plant so don't look too hard at that. I wanted to show the color of the margins
March 17 at 3:31pm ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin I posted three photos of two plants
March 17 at 3:36pm ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin As to the question about burnt burgundy.....it was more about the names meaning. I feel pretty confident about my opinion but would love to be educated on this.
March 17 at 3:43pm ·

Danny Russin
Danny Russin Ah, I see...back lighting threw me off. I'd call that one burnt burgundy. Are you saying that's a grown up blue ember? I've only ever seen small plants of the latter.
March 17 at 3:44pm ·

Greg Starr
Greg Starr Burnt Burgundy is Agave victoriae-reginae x Agave palmeri, first grown 15 years ago. If Blue Ember is the same as Burnt Burgundy and my name is older, then Blue Ember is an invalid cultivar name.
March 17 at 3:46pm ·

Danny Russin
Danny Russin Snarky snarky...Kelly and I were having such a polite conversation :)
March 17 at 3:49pm ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin which is what I told you...Greg
March 17 at 3:53pm · Edited ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin so your opinion on the photos?
March 17 at 3:54pm ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin Jeff as to cold tolerance....they all seem pretty tough. You would have to test them to see and I suspect dry and cold would be better than cold wet.
March 17 at 3:57pm ·
·
Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin so which is it Greg? is it not the same? or is Blue ember invalid?
March 17 at 4:04pm ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin Danny, You are astute in your observation of the variegation. It happens more often in hybrids and certainly is aided by being subjected to Tissue Culture propagation techniques.
March 17 at 4:07pm ·

Tony DiSanto
Tony DiSanto I haven't much to add to this conversation other than some more recent photos.
Image may contain: plant, outdoor and nature
March 17 at 4:16pm ·

Tony DiSanto
Tony DiSanto
Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature
March 17 at 4:16pm ·

Tony DiSanto
Tony DiSanto
March 17 at 4:17pm ·
·
Tony DiSanto
Tony DiSanto
Image may contain: plant, flower, outdoor and nature
March 17 at 4:22pm ·
·
Greg Starr
Greg Starr Although I only know the origin of my plant that I named 'Burnt Burgundy', and you do not divulge the parentage or origin of 'Blue Ember', I still believe they are two different cultivars. I told you the parentage of 'Burnt Burgundy', what is the origin of 'Blue Ember'? Only the person who coined the name 'Blue Ember' would know whether he took 'Burnt Burgundy' and applied a second (invalid) cultivar name to that clone. So the ball is in your court Kelly, which is it? Are they the same and 'Blue Ember' is invalid, or are they different?
March 17 at 5:12pm ·
·
Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin Seriously.... Read the posts
March 17 at 5:31pm ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin It just makes you sound stupid
March 17 at 5:31pm ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin as posted above.....As to the blue ember debacle, I can only say I did not create that plant but I am responsible for the name which I know for a fact that I came up with (so sorry about that) This plant was in TC at the now defunct shady oaks and likewise was later TC'd at RTT. As to the two names, we had a plant that had no name and it was given one. It should be in my opinion dispensed with but none of the parties are going to do that because they both believe it is not the same and I think Rancho likes "their" name better.
March 17 at 6:42pm ·

Greg Starr
Greg Starr So why are you beating this topic to death? The first plant pictured by Tony and the plants Kelly posted photos of are clearly two different clones.
March 17 at 6:44pm ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin in a nut shell....not my plant. Both appear to be one in the same to me. the guy that created it and the nursery that now sells it under another name think it is not the same. I would caution you not to spend 60 dollars on Blue ember it you have Burnt Burgundy
March 17 at 6:45pm ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin you are wrong with your last assertion. They both came from the same place with the same name the only difference is that one is grown on Rancho Soledad Fertilizer and the other is in the ground in San Diego.....SAME PLANT SAME CLONE
March 17 at 6:47pm ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin And by the way what makes you such the expert that you would say..... "The first plant pictured by Tony and the plants Kelly posted photos of are clearly two different clones" Really? believe what you want but you are no expert
March 17 at 6:53pm ·

Jeff Harris
Jeff Harris Kelly, that's going a little far. He does have a well-received and well-reviewed book out and, IINM, is working on another (maybe an update to Gentry's).
March 17 at 9:41pm ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin I'll pass
March 17 at 9:42pm ·

Danny Russin
Danny Russin Well, maybe we can continue the useful part of the conversation? I admit I am surprised by those pictures Kelly posted. It looks very similar to burnt burgundy...subtly different, but as he said, we need the two plants in the same conditions to tell for sure. I will say they look quite different as younglings. I've never seen burnt burgundy with the wider, more pliable leaves of blue ember, no matter the growing conditions.

Tony - I assume those pictures are of blue ember, correct? Not knowing your growing conditons, the leaves are fewer, wider, and curvier than burnt burgundy, which tend to be flatter, stiffer, and narrower at all stages of growth.
March 18 at 12:21am ·

Tony DiSanto
Tony DiSanto Danny, yes you assume correctly the pictures I posted are of blue ember. I'm located in northern San Diego county, more specifically between Escondido & San Pasqual Valley. I do not fertilize. The plant in the pics was d from ranchos coir/pumice mix a few years back and repotted in a proper potting mix.
I agree that the plant Kelly posted pictures of is identical to the plant I have posted pictures of, they came from the same place. Though in my personal opinion, the reason for the slightly different appearance I chalk up to slight variations in the TC. I've noticed that those that display varying degrees of variegation tend to have a slightly different appearance than those which do not. I'll clarify that by saying from what I have seen those which display center leaf variegation tend to be more identical in appearance to those that do not display variegation and those ( from what I have seen ) which display a degree of broken up marginal variegation appear to have the slightly different appearance that is noticeable in the pictures I posted. I feel that I have seen enough batches of blue ember for this to be apparent in the batches that it occurs in, even thought the difference is not drastic.
From the little I've been Told, blue ember was a Jerry Hunter selection, and Kelly Griffin was responsible for it's name. I do not know blue embers parentage, but personally I tend to lean towards blue ember and burnt burgundy being similar enough for there to be debate but I am not convinced that they are identical. Granted neither are the growing conditions I've seen them in and that does matter. Unfortunately I do not have a burnt burgundy here though I do have young blue embers.
I am not an expert.
March 18 at 1:48pm ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin TC drift can and does happen particularly if it is an older initiation. Also it is not entirely out of the question that people selling these get confused and miss name plants. They have blue glow, blue flame, blue ember, blue emperor and Lil shark so it would not surprise me if they made mistakes from time to time. I still believe blue ember= burnt burgundy at least the ones that are not TC screw ups.
March 18 at 11:22pm ·
·
Terry Gillham
Terry Gillham Bought mine in the UK under the name Shaka Zulu but it's a blue glow at the end of the day i enjoy the plants not so worried about name's
Image may contain: plant, nature and outdoor
March 19 at 2:06am ·

Tony DiSanto
Tony DiSanto That's a good point Kelly. I have seen blue ember being sold under incorrect names quite a few times, usually I see them being sold while mislabeled as blue glow of all things.
March 19 at 12:04pm ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin Regarding Terrys post ....blue glow has little to do with any of the plants in this discussion. Other than he got it with a different name. It is not the same hybrid.
March 20 at 3:38pm ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin And Shaka Zulu is invalid if it was applied to blue glow BTW so it does matter
March 20 at 3:40pm ·

Greg Starr
Greg Starr Kelly Griffin, whatever, you asked my opinion, I gave it and you just want to argue, get personal and attack me. Grow up.
March 20 at 6:12pm ·
·
Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin I gave my opinion and you did not bother to read it.... and In fact I only asked your opinion after you had butted in. That point was clear that you did not read the previous posts because you asked "what was the parentage of blue ember" I had already told you what It was. but once again ~ I believe that blue ember is a superfluous name that should be done away with. You are an argument just waiting to happen. The sky is blue......unless I say it is. You can stuff it Greg~
March 20 at 10:46pm · Edited ·

Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin As to "Grow up"..... do more good field work and grow more plants and open your eyes!
March 20 at 9:40pm ·

Tony Krock
Tony Krock AGAVES
STARR/GRIFFIN
GRIFFIN/STARR

Make Agaves Great Again

#2018?
March 21 at 12:29am · Edited ·
·
Ron Starr
Ron Starr How did I miss this? This thread is a riot! Kelly, I don't see the post in which you clearly delineate the parentage of Blue Ember. But there are a lot of posts, I may have missed it. All I found is a rather subjective reference: "imo Blue ember is the same as Burnt Burgundy".
March 21 at 8:23pm ·
·
Edit
Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin I did not "clearly delineate the parentage" because it is no different...in fact it was the same clone that got TC'd and just got an extra name which it should not have. I was very clear on that but in this day of alternative facts I guess it is unde...See More
March 21 at 9:42pm ·
·
Ron Starr
Ron Starr How do you know it isn't any different? To me, many of these toothless hybrids look pretty much the same, so the only way to know would be to know the collection history, right? Or are you suggesting that Greg grabbed a few clones from the TC lab and s...See More
March 21 at 9:59pm ·
Edit
Danny Russin
Danny Russin Maybe Tony DiSanto and I can swap some burnt burgundy for blue ember and grow them side by side, then we can continue this thread in a year or so...?
March 21 at 10:29pm ·
·
Danny Russin
Danny Russin Just for fun, here's my largest burnt burgundy...just about 3 feet across. That's a halfway respectable size for A. palmeri in many localities, though there are places where they get much larger. How big will this get.......?
March 22 at 7:56pm ·
·
Danny Russin
Danny Russin It's growing in full sun in Tucson. I got it from Greg Starr in 2010 and have needed to move it twice, as it keeps outgrowing it's allotted space. Margins are quite narrow, much narrower than those on the few examples of blue ember I have seen in the flesh.
Image may contain: one or more people and plant
March 22 at 7:59pm ·

Daniel Serrano
Daniel Serrano Quit kicking yer plant. This thread is violent enough as is!
March 22 at 7:59pm ·
·
Danny Russin
Danny Russin Nah, it's like spurring a horse...makes em go faster.
March 22 at 8:20pm ·
·
Daniel Serrano
Daniel Serrano I think your foot is the thing that's gonna get spurred!
March 22 at 9:10pm ·
·
Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin Ron no I was suggesting (more than that) saying that it is Greg's plant and his name is the valid one. Not the other way around
March 23 at 9:36pm ·
·
Kelly Griffin
Kelly Griffin This reminds me of applanata arguments.... Plants look different when grown in under different conditions, under feeding regimens and at different ages. Unlike Trump, I think I will be vindicated at some unknown undisclosed time.
March 23 at 9:40pm ·
·
Ron Starr
Ron Starr Thanks for the clarification Kelly, I understand now.
March 23 at 9:47pm
Agave