Agave albescens

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.
Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Agavaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
GreekDesert
Ready to Bolt

Agave albescens

Post by GreekDesert »

Agave albescens Trelease (1913)
Antillares
Aloes 192.jpg
Aloes 192.jpg (94.73 KiB) Viewed 13336 times
promontoriusone
Bulbil

Re: Agave albescens

Post by promontoriusone »

this is VERY guiengola!
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Nice! We never see Caribbean Agaves out here in the desert.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

This is my very fast growing plant acquired as A. albescens, although quite a different looking plant from the one above...
The plants behind are similarly colored A. franzosinii offsets I'm growing
2016 06 13 A albescens X750.jpg
2016 06 13 A albescens X750.jpg (241.18 KiB) Viewed 12711 times
abborean
Ready to Bolt

Post by abborean »

this looks like Agave neglecta to me but am not saying that with any certainty. Used to be a big colony of them in Myrtle Beach SC but a prolonged cold spell one year must have wiped them out. Couldn't find any in recent years. As you know the species is a Florida endemic.
CalCWS

Post by CalCWS »

I got one from a landscape place here in central SC. It was on special probably because it is not hardy here. It was not labeled but looks like the picture from Spination. I have to take it in because it starts showing damage at about 28 F. As of now I do not have many but am looking for ones that are more hardy to probably 10 F that can handle the moisture here as well.
abborean
Ready to Bolt

Post by abborean »

I have a lot of 8a wet hardy species here in the Cape Fear Region of NC. What species have you tried?
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

CalCWS wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:46 pm I got one from a landscape place here in central SC. It was on special probably because it is not hardy here. It was not labeled but looks like the picture from Spination. I have to take it in because it starts showing damage at about 28 F. As of now I do not have many but am looking for ones that are more hardy to probably 10 F that can handle the moisture here as well.
I don’t believe Spination’s plant is Albescens but a mislabeled blue Agave Lurida. I received a few offsets from his and hoped they would shift in appearance when given full sun. They looked identical to my Agave Lurida.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=169
Austin, Texas
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

This is what they should look like.
Austin, Texas