Agave 'Blue Emperor'

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.
Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Agavaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
leo25
Offset

Agave 'Blue Emperor'

Post by leo25 »

Is on of the different clones of the hybrid macroacantha x victoria reginae.
10074527865_945ba1c220_o.jpg
10074527865_945ba1c220_o.jpg (158.07 KiB) Viewed 14729 times
GreekDesert
Ready to Bolt

Re: Agave "Blue Emperor"

Post by GreekDesert »

Thank you for showing that interesting hybrid. A few years ago i have bought a no name agave in a market, it
looks like a hybrid between Agave victoria-reginae and macroacantha Verde but i am not sure if they are the real
parents...
Attachments
GR Frühjahr 2013 293.jpg
GR Frühjahr 2013 293.jpg (109.25 KiB) Viewed 14723 times
leo25
Offset

Re: Agave "Blue Emperor"

Post by leo25 »

Is very similar to Agave "Blue Emperor" but mine is blue and your is green but I think your parents plant are the same, all the clones are not equal, with the same hybridization.
Geoff

Re: Agave 'Blue Emperor'

Post by Geoff »

mass production, Rancho Soledad Nursery
Agave Blue Emperors in pots.jpg
Agave Blue Emperors in pots.jpg (118.15 KiB) Viewed 14444 times
leo25
Offset

Post by leo25 »

I found one that want to be mediopicta :) .

DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

Closest I have ever found to the "stock photo" from Rancho, with the stumpy, black terminal spines. This one was even marketed as "Blue Emperor (PPAF)" so whoever is putting them out certainly seems convinced it is the real deal. Thoughts?
IMG_4004.JPG
IMG_4004.JPG (70.03 KiB) Viewed 13048 times
IMG_4007.JPG
IMG_4007.JPG (93.1 KiB) Viewed 13048 times
IMG_4040.JPG
IMG_4040.JPG (80.07 KiB) Viewed 13048 times
IMG_4046.JPG
IMG_4046.JPG (84.59 KiB) Viewed 13048 times
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Looks like it from here too!
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Hard to see this as much different from what was on the market as A. 'Royal Spine' way before 'Blue Emperor' appeared.
It is what it is!
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Looks bluer, shorter spines...I'd love to grow them side by side. 'Royal Spine' is really apple-green. On the old brown forum Kelly G. said the species crossed are the same (v-r and macroacantha) but the crosses were done by different people at different times, and using different individuals of those species.
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

Also, you must forgive the coloration in some of those photos, somewhat shaded on the porch. The shots with the offset, especially the first one, are more indicative of the actual color. My 'Royal Spine' are also very much apple green in comparison.
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

OK, just a quick quiz then: here are pictures of two plants, one each of 'Royal Spine' and 'Blue Emperor' - that is how they came labeled. Want to tell me which is which?
pic 1
pic 1
IMG_0541.jpg (133.85 KiB) Viewed 13034 times
pic 2
pic 2
IMG_0976.jpg (61.88 KiB) Viewed 13034 times
It is what it is!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Royal Spine is below. Much, much greener, and narrower leaves. They look nothing alike to me.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

Gee.S wrote:Royal Spine is below. Much, much greener, and narrower leaves. They look nothing alike to me.
In addition to the vivid apple green coloration on mine, I also notice almost no marginal spines on very small 'Royal Spine' plants, whereas both 'Blue Emperor' and 'Little Shark' seem to be awful toothy when small.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Well yes, then there's that. I may not be able to tell these blue hybrids apart to save my life, but by gosh I can tell a green one from a blue one.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

Gee.S wrote:Well yes, then there's that. I may not be able to tell these blue hybrids apart to save my life, but by gosh I can tell a green one from a blue one.
Not the best pic, but here's the green vs. blue as best I can represent it. You can also see the toothless 'Royal Spine' offsets here vs. the gnarly spinage shown above. :U

'Royal Spine' on the left, allegedly 'Little Shark' on the right:
IMG_4032.JPG
IMG_4032.JPG (103.94 KiB) Viewed 13026 times
Ideally, I want to grow one of the purported 'Blue Emperor' above beside these and compare the trio, since they're more or less the same size.
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Yeah, based on what MitS wrote regarding the color, that would appear to be the obvious conclusion. However, top plant came to me as Agave 'Royal Spine' probably some time around 2012 or so from eBay (pretty sure it came from SoCal). It was greener when I just got it, but never apple green. It gets about 2PM-5PM full sun in summer, tree and bush shade the rest of the time.

The bottom plant I just bought 3 weeks ago as Agave 'Blue Emperor' from a BBS.

Based upon the characteristic of short terminal spines you might flip the IDs, given that the plant in the second picture has way shorter terminal spines.

Now I am fine with those IDs being completely wrong, would not be the first time plants are sold under the wrong ID and am sure it won't be the last time. These are attractive plants that don't get too big if you keep the offsets under control and they take a decent to good amount of full sun, so they are fun plants to grow.

However, looking critically at the pictures in this gallery entry it does make me wonder if all of those are indeed 'Blue Emperor'? None are really all that blue...
It is what it is!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Plant in the top pic is absolutely not Royal Spine. Can't see much of the lower pic plant other than color, but color looks spot on. BTW, Royal Spine takes full sun here. I would compare it to A. macroacantha in that regard, i.e. looks good in full sun, looks better with a little PM break.
Agave

mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Fine by me. It helps me clear up the doubt I had about that ID in the first place.

It will be interesting to see how plant #2 develops as it adjusts to growing in AZ conditions.
It is what it is!
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by Gafoto »

agaveblueemperor.jpg
agaveblueemperor.jpg (419.06 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
Here is the 'Blue Emperor' I bought as a seedling from Mountain Crest Gardens in 2021. It's slowly developed into quite a nice specimen. This plant is a little bit bluer than the photo lets on. Grows a bit faster than most victoria-reginae but with a nicer form (and less vicious terminal spines) than straight macroantha in my opinion. A really nice selection.