New Lens

Discuss cameras, settings, composition, software, and anything related to photography as it pertains to our plants, gardens, and landscapes.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

New Lens

Post by Gee.S »

I just received a new lens I ordered, and I am anxious to play. It's a Sigma 18-250mm f3.5, and it cost about ½ as much as my primary. It isn't intended to replace my primary, but serve as my new zoom. I travel with two camera bodies, one as my primary and the other a 75-300 f4.6 zoom to shake out stuff too far away. Unfortunately, it's a cheap lens, and not only takes crappy pictures, it is impossible to hold steady while fully extended, requiring a monopod.

The new lens is smaller and easier to hold steady. It also features "Optical Stabilizer", which it claims "is possible to get sharp results at shutter speeds approximately 4 steps slower than you could without...". It should really help eliminate camera shake with the lens fully extended.

Here is a shot from my front yard with the lens fully extended. Not bad. I assume that on objects further away, I'll get better results in regard to getting more of the plant in focus. I generally don't care how sharply focused a couple of leaves in the foreground are, I want the whole plant in focus, even groups of plants -- and that is why I gravitate toward fast lenses. My fastest is a fixed f1.4, and I will take it out along with my new lens once this crappy CA weather clears out. It's playtime! :))
Playing 006.JPG
Playing 006.JPG (81.17 KiB) Viewed 3810 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Re: New Lens

Post by KLC »

Nice GeeS.

I got myself a couple of lenses too. I bought the Nikkor 18-200 F3.5-5.6, and a Nikkor 35mm f1.8. Have to wait until Tuesday though.

The prime 50mm was not exactly what I wanted for a fixed lens so I got the 35 instead. The f1.4 would have been nice but twice the money.

When the smoke clears, I want to get a dedicated prime macro in the 200mm range. I'm interested in the small things haha.

A second camera body is a great idea.
Don't California my Arizona!