Low temperature tolerance in specific dwarf/small aloes?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Low temperature tolerance in specific dwarf/small aloes?

Post Number:#1  Postby Stone Jaguar » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:21 am

Howdy.

Have just moved most of my tabletop aloes indoors until the spring, but was thinking about trialing a few things outdoors this winter if it remains mild.

Have colonies in 9" clays of A. jucunda, A. pseudoparvula, A. antandroi and A. grandidentata that I would like to test until temps look like they'll be below 30 F/-1.1 C. Any warnings? Have duplicate sets of two of these spp in case they blow up, and assume A. pseudoparvula is probably the most at risk. Always leave my A. peglerae and A. polyphylla fully exposed and no dings...understand both spp. have a great deal of cold tolerance so have never been concerned about frost damage with them.

Thanks,

J
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Location: SF Bay Area, California and Guatemala City, Guatemala

Re: Low temperature tolerance in specific dwarf/small aloes?

Post Number:#2  Postby Melt in the Sun » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:42 pm

The only one I grow is jucunda, and while I usually bring it inside, it has endured some surprise frost (maybe 30) without damage.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#3  Postby Geoff » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:30 pm

Aloe jucunda, like most of those plastic-like Somalian Aloes, is pretty cold intolerant, though it can survive 30F easily... but I would not let it go below 27F if possible. Mine survived 25F but it was in a pot right against the house, so that hardly counts. Aloe antandroi did fine at 28F, but keeled over in the heat of the following summer. Aloe grandidentata seems fine down to 20F so far so that is not a real concern for cold damage. Aloe pseudoparvula was fine at 26F, but I have not had it tested lower than that. Agree that Aloe peglarae is pretty hardy... mine does fine down to 20F yearly, but lost another one as 22F, so not sure I get why. Guess not all individuals are created equal.
Geoff

Post Number:#4  Postby Stone Jaguar » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:32 am

Thanks, Geoff. I'll keep these against the wall where they pick up a bit of benefit from a warm house.
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Location: SF Bay Area, California and Guatemala City, Guatemala

Post Number:#5  Postby Stan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:34 pm

If Aloe jucunda is like Aloe dorothea and Aloe cameronii- small leaved form? Yep,they will die at a bay area 30f. 32F is bad enough to set them back a couple of years. 30 at our usual length of time at that range before sunrise? Melts those more tropical Aloes.
MY feeling is ..this is going to be a mild winter...but late December is our worst period usually- by far.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Previous topic Next topic

Return to Aloaceae Talk