Similars with blue leaves and red teeth (hybrids)

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Re: Similars with blue leaves and red teeth (hybrids)

Post by Azuleja »

It's beautiful, whatever the name. Of these types, I think yours is one of the prettiest I've seen. Here are mine.
Attachments
20180116_110136.jpg
20180116_110136.jpg (95.7 KiB) Viewed 3315 times
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Very Cryptanthus-like!

I agree that those do veer in an attractive direction that differs from many of the recent compact hybrids seen on the market.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

It's not really what I had in mind when I started the thread - but I guess the leaves are somewhat blue, and the spines are red...so
2018 01 18 Aloe castilloniae hybrid.jpg
2018 01 18 Aloe castilloniae hybrid.jpg (89.88 KiB) Viewed 3301 times
Marlon Machado
Offset

Post by Marlon Machado »

Old Blue, your plant is similar to the one in the link below, which has the name Zephyr:

"
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Nice-looking hybrid, Tom. Do you know parentage? Whatever castilloniae was crossed with changed the marginal teeth from markedly triangular to fused/cusped. Leaves flatter, etc. Looks sort of like what I would expect a KG blue hybrid would look like if crossed with the species.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

'Zephyr' and 'Pink Panther' are most likely exactly the same plant. At least, I can not tell any difference whatsoever between the two in my full-sun grown stock plants. This cultivar(s) is quite different from the ubiquitous "bluish-green" plants such as 'KG-14', 'Sean Red', etc.

'Zephyr' ('Pink Panther') is much more of a purpleish-pink color with much tighter teeth. It is only about 1/2 the size, and much more readily offsets.

And yes, Azuleja, the blue-green plants are quite commonly expressed as seedlings in many combinations; so much so that they are commonly available as random "Mutts" that for all intents and purposes, have much in common with the many blue-green "cultivars".

Tom, I think that your "purple" 'Wily Coyotee' is definitely a different clone altogether. But a very nice clone! :)) ::wink::

The Monger
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Thanks Jay. I got it from Thailand listed only as castilloniae hybrid, so I don't know the other 1/2 (assuming it's a half and half). I liked the look of it, and thought it would be a nice addition to the 2 castilloniae I have, even though we both think the textured one from Hungary is a bit suspect. You can probably guess I have hopes to make some crosses in the future. ::wink::

Monger - I think when both you and Jay suspect that the one 'Wily Coyotee' is a different clone, I would have to agree with you two. Also, that might explain why it was much faster growing than the other one I got at the same time, which Azuleja wound up with. Jay does have a pup of it, so he'll be able to have a first hand view of it as it grows, see if it turns purple too (should), and be able to make a good comparison with another.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Marlon Machado wrote:The 'Blood Jaw' is looking quite good Tom! Well done. I hope it grows well and fast, make a lot of offsets, and soon become more widely available :))
Marlon, I felt it was ready for a larger pot today, so doing very well. After only 2 months, that's some kind of record for me to pot one up a larger size that soon. Regarding offsets, I noticed a tiny one starting out at the bottom. :8: I hope that's an omen for more to come!
2018 01 23 Aloe Blood Jaw b.jpg
2018 01 23 Aloe Blood Jaw b.jpg (73.99 KiB) Viewed 3259 times
2018 01 23 Aloe Blood Jaw ba.jpg
2018 01 23 Aloe Blood Jaw ba.jpg (127.61 KiB) Viewed 3259 times
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Tom, sorry to say the pup blew up on me a few months after I got it. First aloe I have lost (hopefully, the last :lol: ). I think I “over-pampered” the ungrateful mutt...

I wholeheartedly agree with you that the more extreme looking “new” castilloniae ecotype will produce some really outrageous offspring when crossed to already handsome KG and KZ eccentric hybrids.

Ruefully,

J
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Well, that's disappointing. There's another on the plant growing. I'll leave it there with your name on it, and this time grow it larger before mailing it to you. :))
Marlon Machado
Offset

Post by Marlon Machado »

Nice that the Blood Jaw is growing well, it indeed recovered quite fast, and even better it is already pupping :))
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Marlon, I hijacked the quote from a different thread - it seems more appropriate here considering the crosses I've chosen (or relegated to doing).
Marlon Machado wrote:Very nice Tom, and well done in special for the betsileensis. Planning on doing some crosses Ii suppose? :))
The betsileensis would probably cross with small table-top hybrids, since they usually have Madagascan genetics.
Here's the betsileensis - ready for business and crossing with a couple of hybrids posted previously in this thread, and pictured again below
I don't often see such a wealth of pollen...
2018 02 26 Aloe betsileensis b.jpg
2018 02 26 Aloe betsileensis b.jpg (148.12 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
And one cross being tried - Aloe betsileensis X Aloe 'Kelly's Blue' here's a side by side
2018 02 26 Aloe betsileensis and Aloe Kelly's Blue a.jpg
2018 02 26 Aloe betsileensis and Aloe Kelly's Blue a.jpg (101 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
Close up of A. Kelly's Blue
2018 02 26 Aloe Kelly's Blue b.jpg
2018 02 26 Aloe Kelly's Blue b.jpg (110.26 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
flowers
2018 02 26 Aloe Kelly's Blue a.jpg
2018 02 26 Aloe Kelly's Blue a.jpg (148.56 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
And another hybrid I like - lower flowers pollinated with 2 other hybrids, but all the rest will get betsileensis pollen
2018 02 26 Aloe hybrid KYLE a.jpg
2018 02 26 Aloe hybrid KYLE a.jpg (116.4 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
lower seed pods forming courtesy 'Kelly's Blue' pollen mostly.
2018 02 26 Aloe hybrid KYLE b.jpg
2018 02 26 Aloe hybrid KYLE b.jpg (206.67 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
This one almost ready to open flowers, an apparent twin of the plant above, but from a completely different source. I'll use betsileensis pollen on this too...
2018 02 26 Aloe hybrid CACTUSBYLIN b.jpg
2018 02 26 Aloe hybrid CACTUSBYLIN b.jpg (294.77 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
Lastly, this plant has features I like, might as well give this one a go too. Missing is the blue coloration, but otherwise very similar to 'Kelly's Blue'.
2018 02 26 Aloe Orange Marmalade a.jpg
2018 02 26 Aloe Orange Marmalade a.jpg (107.59 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
When I do a cross, there's usually a couple levels of thought involved:
It's got to be something I like - check.
Obviously, a bit of luck too in that they're concurrently blooming - check.
Desirable features/chacteristics from both plants with hopes there will be contributions of such to the offspring. Although betsileenis is a rather large plant compared to the hybrids being crossed, it has nice color, red teeth, and probably the best feature which would differ considerably from the other plants is the bright yellow flowers, not to mention a different form of inflorescence. Unfortunately, seedlings are going to have to be grown to flowering age/size to see what comes of this. It's basic form (just larger) would be complimentary to the other 3 blue/red teeth hybrids being crossed and to be crossed. One - 'Kelly's Blue' with outstanding texture to contribute to the mix, and the other 2 nice margins and blue color.
Usually, I like to cross similar plants with desirable (to me, of course) features, with the idea of the intensification of such in offspring. Occasionally, I'll cross dissimilar plants looking to introduce features in one direction or the other. Using more dissimilar plants to my way of thinking increases the chances of increased variability in the results, or at least adding more unpredictability.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Oh, I like your choices. There need to be more big colorful hybrids, particularly with some cold tolerance.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Thank you. One thing I'm sure of, is if the crosses take, the betsileensis genes should definitely contribute greater size. :))
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Spination, how big is 'Orange Marmalade'? Looks rather large. Is it comparable to 'Kelly's Blue' in size?
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Danny, that current 'Orange Marmalade' photo is deceptive. That's only a 4" pot, and although Monger says 'Marmalade' and 'Orange Marmalade' are one and the same, this plant is smaller by 1/2 (but not as old either) as my plant acquired simply as 'Marmalade' (Monterrey Bay Nurseries). It also hasn't ever colored up as nicely, or at least the same to date either. Teeth and texture are nice. Neither version though is as large as 'Kelly's Blue'. You can get a sense in the side by side photo that KB is a good sized plant, showing about 1/2 the size as the A. betsileensis. I'm sure betsileensis will be getting larger yet, but it is not small, and in any case, has reached flowering size.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Thanks. I thought it was maybe a gallon pot...that would have been cool!
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I got this today - something new to me by Altman's called Aloe 'Swordfish'. Slight differences, wider leaves at the base, very pronounced red marginal teeth, and the counter-clockwise twist at the end of each leaf. All adds up to a distinctively different plant.
2018 04 26 Aloe Swordfish b.jpg
2018 04 26 Aloe Swordfish b.jpg (188.79 KiB) Viewed 3163 times
2018 04 26 Aloe Swordfish c.jpg
2018 04 26 Aloe Swordfish c.jpg (154.16 KiB) Viewed 3163 times
Marlon Machado
Offset

Post by Marlon Machado »

Nice plant Tom! Also interesting to see what Swordfish looks like. Kelly Griffin said about this one that it is one of his bigger hybrids, suitable for planting in the ground. I look forward to seeing a picture of a mature, specimen plant of this hybrid.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Thanks Marlon. When it gets bigger, I'll post more pics. Yeah, the pic on the listing column of Ebay jumped right out at me. The seller apparently had a number of them at Buy It Now, but the others had all sold already, and this was the last one. I had never even heard of it before! I guess the newness of it's availability had others attracted to it as well, and I was almost too late to the party. :lol: As popular as it appears to be already, I'm sure more will be offered sooner than later. Very nice sized plant already, and in perfect condition. The leaves also have a smooth glossy quality to them as well, as if they are made of plastic. Very interesting plant! Of course, already being a fan of the blue leaf and red teeth combo, I had to snag this one too to add to my collection. D))

EDIT - I just looked and the same seller has the same listing, showing the # already sold, and that there is one last one available. :lol: Since I thought I was getting the last one, I wonder how many more "last ones" there are to be had! D)) Funny.
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agave_fan »

Spination wrote:EDIT - I just looked and the same seller has the same listing, showing the # already sold, and that there is one last one available. :lol: Since I thought I was getting the last one, I wonder how many more "last ones" there are to be had! D)) Funny.
Nice aloe Spiny. I almost ordered this a while ago directly from Altman so if the seller ever actually runs out, you can always check there. ;)

I didn't order it as it appeared to look like others that I have. Even though the photo on the Altman site also showed the twist, I didn't realize this was a thing with this plant. Good to know about the twist, I might have to revisit the possibility of ordering....
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

It's a cool nuance, and when I look at the overall appearance, it just seems to add that little bit of something special to the plant. Also, hard not to notice as well that the marginals are extremely well defined, at least as much or more so than any of the others I have. I have been breeding some of the ones I have together (and with other things if nothing else available), with seedlings growing (but too small to really properly assess)...so another one in the mix is just "more the merrier" as far as I'm concerned.

Here are tiny seedlings that I've been admiring with a magnifying glass, and until today, could not capture by photograph the promise I was seeing...
2018 04 28 Aloe Kyle's Blue Red Teeth X b.jpg
2018 04 28 Aloe Kyle's Blue Red Teeth X b.jpg (130 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
Definitely several in there with very interesting looking marginals! :8:
2018 04 28 Aloe Kyle's Blue Red Teeth X c.jpg
2018 04 28 Aloe Kyle's Blue Red Teeth X c.jpg (191.26 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
This is that mother plant. Yup, similar to 'Swordfish', yet quite different.
2017 04 20 Aloe Hybrid Blue with Red Teeth j.jpg
2017 04 20 Aloe Hybrid Blue with Red Teeth j.jpg (142.01 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agave_fan »

Spination wrote: Here are tiny offsets that I've been admiring with a magnifying glass, and until today, could not capture by photograph the promise I was seeing...
These are offsets not seedlings?

Either way, I see the promise you see and like them! D))
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Oops! Thanks for the correction - seedlings! :)) I just fixed that in my post - surely makes a monster difference whether offsets or seedlings. Offsets are going to be like the mother plant, seedlings not so much with all the remixing of genes from seed and pollen parents.
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agave_fan »

Spination wrote:Oops! Thanks for the correction - seedlings! :)) I just fixed that in my post - surely makes a monster difference whether offsets or seedlings. Offsets are going to be like the mother plant, seedlings not so much with all the remixing of genes from seed and pollen parents.
I was certainly confused as I was thinking to myself, does he use a magnifying glass to whisk those away from the mother immediately upon seeing them and why???? I figured those were seedlings by the photo but when you only listed the mother plant, this only added to the confusion! :o

What was the cross on those? Ooooo better yet, give me three choices and let me guess based on the seedlings!

My first guess without clues is.... Oik :P
edit: changed my mind to salt as those teeth are getting crazy ^