Hardy Aloes

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Hardy Aloes

Post by Gee.S »

aloe1.jpg
aloe1.jpg (93.4 KiB) Viewed 22478 times
aloe2.jpg
aloe2.jpg (89.45 KiB) Viewed 22478 times
aloe3.jpg
aloe3.jpg (88.41 KiB) Viewed 22478 times
aloe4.jpg
aloe4.jpg (89.07 KiB) Viewed 22478 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Geoff

Re: Hardy Aloes

Post by Geoff »

I should publish a list like this, though first get all my old aloes back and try growing them up here where temps are a true test of hardiness (unlike in the valley when the only true tests are freak cold snaps every 10-20 years). I have several disagreements with this list, but really nothing concrete to base most of them on.
MJP
Ready to Bolt

Post by MJP »

Aloe aristata survived -13C (7F) unprotected this winter here in North Carolina. They are now blooming.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

In the UK some (not me) grow polyphyllas outside all year round. I have seen pictures of them in Cambridge (East of England) under 6" of snow and not harmed.
AGAVE_KILLER
Ready to Bolt

Post by AGAVE_KILLER »

I have grown polyphylla outdoors for years, in well insulated dryish spots they have survived into the low teens. Don't do it anymore; invariably after enough years a sh*t winter will come along and claim them. Low of 9F yesterday killed my grandidentata that had recovered from last winter. Grandidentata can take into the low teens in my experience, but single digit Fahrenheit is too extreme. Going to put in aristata this spring and end my aloe experimentation.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

That is a great read - there has been a version of it circulating for some years now. A lot of the figures aren't transferable to other growing conditions, sadly, but the 'trends' are. Here in England - and perhaps I should say in my garden, because every garden is different - Aloe striatula is takes the gold medal for being the toughest. Every other species - most on that list - I have lost at one point or another. But a mature and established A. striatula was documented as returning from underground after a -18C in southern England back in the very cold 1980s.
cactusmcharris
Rhizome

Post by cactusmcharris »

Thanks for posting this, Ron. I have a paper copy from 1999 which I use to consult. Sadly, every Aloe but A. vera has given up the ghost, but I've probably been planting them at non-auspicious times.
henri06
Rhizome

Post by henri06 »

In south of France , i have in soil of a stone edge under oaks for Aloes haemanthifolia .They have 21°Farhenheit without damage
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Although he did say some A.cameronii are tender,I can vouch for that. I had one really nice clump- it would turn fire red in summer,just melt in 2013's freeze. I thought it was a goner for sure. As of right now its made a..decent comeback. Nothing like it used to be. That's going to take another 4 years at this rate.
Still,it did live. A.dorothea did not.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
greenghost
Bulbil

Post by greenghost »

A few observations from Z8 Las Cruces. I have a few aloes in the ground here and just want to report on their first year behavior (no long term trend here). All are placed underneath a large Chitalpa tree backed by a south facing (free standing) wall.

Aloe aristata: no surprise, handles the winters easily nestled on the southeastern side of a large rock.

Aloe "Crosby's Prolific" (I think this is brevifolia x humilis): only slight tip burn. Situated right against a rock and the southfacing wall. Will bloom in the next week or so.

Aloe vera: Um, survives against the wall, but hasn't flowered in two years as it spends all its energy recovering -- need to remove.

Aloe "Delta Lights": This one is on the north east side of the wall with only a bit of morning sun. Died back completely but has pushed out three pups from the roots which are growing rapidly.

Two more experiments for next winter: Aloe saponaria and Aloe "Blue Elf". I'm also considering Aloe variegata, but would hate to lose it.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Len Geiger's "married to plants blog" has his trip to highlands of Madagascar and some cool Aloes at 11,000 feet+. Most as he say's are hard to find in the trade Still,worth seeking out for marginal climates and for other areas just some great looking new plants for the collection.
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Post by SC FM »

I grow Aloe saponaria in ground . They have seen temps twice at 5F and once at 11 and once at 16 in different winters. They got some heavy damage at 5, but only tip burn at 11F..They are against a southfacing wall of my foundation and on southwest side in the open. They are not show quality, but look nice. Here are a couple of pics. First pic is the ones in the open . Second pic is against the house foundation and the Opuntia 'Old Mexico" You can see damage at leaf tips, but looks OK for my climate.
DSC03667 (1).JPG
DSC03667 (1).JPG (83.81 KiB) Viewed 21115 times
Attachments
DSC03670 (1).JPG
DSC03670 (1).JPG (87.57 KiB) Viewed 21115 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Mine dont see low temps...and also tend to have half leaf brown or dried up tips too. So,seems to be the nature of the plant.
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Post by SC FM »

since my last post The two weeks of temps not getting much above 32 has killed any saponaria out in open exposed. Those against the house mostly ar OK, but some ar mush as well. This winter is the worst winter he for marginal plants I ever hd. I lost a lot of soft semi-hardy succulents and a few cacti. and one Agave damaged.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Of the numerous aloes I left out this winter, Aloe brevifolia is still looking really good. Most of the others have taken damage from light to severe.
johnbecker
Offset

Post by johnbecker »

Question about Brian Kemble's list--he has a column for "Winter Grower" on the right. Does anyone know if that refers to in habitat or at the Ruth Bancroft Garden? Given that I live near the RBG, it's a big distinction.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Winter is winter no matter where in the world it is. So a plant that grows more when it's winter in South Africa will do likewise in northern California.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

That's the best, clearest, most concise explanation of the term "Winter Grower" I've ever read. :U
johnbecker
Offset

Post by johnbecker »

Ditto. Thanks Geoff.
greenghost
Bulbil

Post by greenghost »

Just an update on my aloe experiments in Zone 8 Las Cruces, NM:

Aloe "Crosby's Prolific" is doing great against a wall.

Aloe vera is surviving against a wall, buried in Calandirinia

Aloe "Delta Lights" dies back to roots each year but returns and blooms

Aloe "Blue Elf" doing great and blooms heavily. Placed against a large bolder under a Chilopsis.

Aloe variegata is new but did ok last year

Aloe saponaria is giant (worries me for upcoming winter) and bloomed this summer

Aloe brevifolia doing well

Aloe aristata no problems

Aloe glauca did well for the one winter its been int he ground
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Some more 'hardy' aloes to add to the list... these have been planted out in my garden and it got down to about 26F and has been 27-28 every night for nearly a week... no damage yet.

Aloe dewinteri, Aloe kouebokkevedens, Aloe jibisana, Aloe perryi and Aloe rigens. Note: damage seen on rigens and perryi happened during summer, not this winter

Still don't know their ultimate lows and frankly hope to never find them out.

Aloe dewinteri in garden 7-18.jpg
Aloe dewinteri in garden 7-18.jpg (222.35 KiB) Viewed 18111 times
Aloe kouebokkeveldens doing OK 2-19 despite 20s F.jpg
Aloe kouebokkeveldens doing OK 2-19 despite 20s F.jpg (136.59 KiB) Viewed 18111 times
Aloe jibisiana update 12-18.jpg
Aloe jibisiana update 12-18.jpg (232.32 KiB) Viewed 18111 times
Aloe perryi update 12-18.jpg
Aloe perryi update 12-18.jpg (140.67 KiB) Viewed 18111 times
Aloe rigens 12-18 moved to shelf near house.jpg
Aloe rigens 12-18 moved to shelf near house.jpg (141.51 KiB) Viewed 18111 times
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

oops... just noticed A perryi already on the list.. oh well.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

^ I'm sure everyone appreciates graphic evidence.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
djrfeller
Bulbil

Post by djrfeller »

Not sure if this thread is still being viewed, but I have recently been getting into aloes and I have had Aloe maculata take down to 18 degrees. It does well outside in the ground. It will get burned tips, but will grow out quickly in spring.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Does anybody know of striatula hybrids?