Hardy Aloes

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Hardy Aloes

Post Number:#1  Postby Gee.S » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:47 pm

aloe1.jpg
aloe1.jpg (93.4 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
aloe2.jpg
aloe2.jpg (89.45 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
aloe3.jpg
aloe3.jpg (88.41 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
aloe4.jpg
aloe4.jpg (89.07 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, and others walk the walk, but we stalk the stalk"
Gee.S
Site Admin

Re: Hardy Aloes

Post Number:#2  Postby Geoff » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:44 pm

I should publish a list like this, though first get all my old aloes back and try growing them up here where temps are a true test of hardiness (unlike in the valley when the only true tests are freak cold snaps every 10-20 years). I have several disagreements with this list, but really nothing concrete to base most of them on.
Geoff

Post Number:#3  Postby MJP » Wed May 28, 2014 11:44 am

Aloe aristata survived -13C (7F) unprotected this winter here in North Carolina. They are now blooming.
MJP
Offset

Post Number:#4  Postby mickthecactus » Thu May 29, 2014 8:13 am

In the UK some (not me) grow polyphyllas outside all year round. I have seen pictures of them in Cambridge (East of England) under 6" of snow and not harmed.
mickthecactus

Post Number:#5  Postby AGAVE_KILLER » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:26 pm

I have grown polyphylla outdoors for years, in well insulated dryish spots they have survived into the low teens. Don't do it anymore; invariably after enough years a sh*t winter will come along and claim them. Low of 9F yesterday killed my grandidentata that had recovered from last winter. Grandidentata can take into the low teens in my experience, but single digit Fahrenheit is too extreme. Going to put in aristata this spring and end my aloe experimentation.
AGAVE_KILLER
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#6  Postby Paul S » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:34 am

That is a great read - there has been a version of it circulating for some years now. A lot of the figures aren't transferable to other growing conditions, sadly, but the 'trends' are. Here in England - and perhaps I should say in my garden, because every garden is different - Aloe striatula is takes the gold medal for being the toughest. Every other species - most on that list - I have lost at one point or another. But a mature and established A. striatula was documented as returning from underground after a -18C in southern England back in the very cold 1980s.
Paul S
Offset

Post Number:#7  Postby cactusmcharris » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:26 pm

Thanks for posting this, Ron. I have a paper copy from 1999 which I use to consult. Sadly, every Aloe but A. vera has given up the ghost, but I've probably been planting them at non-auspicious times.
cactusmcharris
Rhizome

Post Number:#8  Postby henri06 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:13 pm

In south of France , i have in soil of a stone edge under oaks for Aloes haemanthifolia .They have 21°Farhenheit without damage
henri06
Rhizome

Post Number:#9  Postby Stan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:16 pm

Although he did say some A.cameronii are tender,I can vouch for that. I had one really nice clump- it would turn fire red in summer,just melt in 2013's freeze. I thought it was a goner for sure. As of right now its made a..decent comeback. Nothing like it used to be. That's going to take another 4 years at this rate.
Still,it did live. A.dorothea did not.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#10  Postby greenghost » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:21 pm

A few observations from Z8 Las Cruces. I have a few aloes in the ground here and just want to report on their first year behavior (no long term trend here). All are placed underneath a large Chitalpa tree backed by a south facing (free standing) wall.

Aloe aristata: no surprise, handles the winters easily nestled on the southeastern side of a large rock.

Aloe "Crosby's Prolific" (I think this is brevifolia x humilis): only slight tip burn. Situated right against a rock and the southfacing wall. Will bloom in the next week or so.

Aloe vera: Um, survives against the wall, but hasn't flowered in two years as it spends all its energy recovering -- need to remove.

Aloe "Delta Lights": This one is on the north east side of the wall with only a bit of morning sun. Died back completely but has pushed out three pups from the roots which are growing rapidly.

Two more experiments for next winter: Aloe saponaria and Aloe "Blue Elf". I'm also considering Aloe variegata, but would hate to lose it.
greenghost
Bulbil

Post Number:#11  Postby Stan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:06 am

Len Geiger's "married to plants blog" has his trip to highlands of Madagascar and some cool Aloes at 11,000 feet+. Most as he say's are hard to find in the trade Still,worth seeking out for marginal climates and for other areas just some great looking new plants for the collection.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#12  Postby SC FM » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:38 pm

I grow Aloe saponaria in ground . They have seen temps twice at 5F and once at 11 and once at 16 in different winters. They got some heavy damage at 5, but only tip burn at 11F..They are against a southfacing wall of my foundation and on southwest side in the open. They are not show quality, but look nice. Here are a couple of pics. First pic is the ones in the open . Second pic is against the house foundation and the Opuntia 'Old Mexico" You can see damage at leaf tips, but looks OK for my climate.
DSC03667 (1).JPG
DSC03667 (1).JPG (83.81 KiB) Viewed 169 times
Attachments
DSC03670 (1).JPG
DSC03670 (1).JPG (87.57 KiB) Viewed 169 times
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#13  Postby Stan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:07 pm

Mine dont see low temps...and also tend to have half leaf brown or dried up tips too. So,seems to be the nature of the plant.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Previous topic Next topic

Return to Aloaceae Talk