Interesting Dick Wright hybrid

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Interesting Dick Wright hybrid

Post by Spination »

In my quest to obtain an outrageously amazing looking hybrid I saw on a German forum called "cv Chrystal", which I have not been able to find any info on whatsoever anywhere else...I did find these reminiscently similar but not nearly as cool looking plants which I purchased as Dick Wright hybrids.
This first came from Thailand, which is a funny story in itself. Originated in California, went to Japan, then to Thailand, and then this to me back to California. You could say it is the progeny of a very well traveled plant, across the world and back again. It was simply called "Dick Wright hybrid".
2015 10 31 Aloe Dick Wright a X750.jpg
2015 10 31 Aloe Dick Wright a X750.jpg (271.34 KiB) Viewed 5453 times
Here is another, but came from a nursery that named it "Salt" after losing the ID, but which I was told came from Renny's (which may then be their "Shaved Coconut" DW hybrid which I saw on an Ebay listing). So, also a Dick Wright hybrid, it may not be same hybrid as the above plant, but probably similar lineage (whatever that is).
2015 10 31 Aloe Salt DW Hybrid a X750.jpg
2015 10 31 Aloe Salt DW Hybrid a X750.jpg (161.5 KiB) Viewed 5453 times
Above plant currently blooming. The color is off due to my failure to turn off the LED's before snapping the photo (so has a Red + Blue cast to it).
2016 02 03 Aloe Salt a X750.jpg
2016 02 03 Aloe Salt a X750.jpg (175.78 KiB) Viewed 5453 times
I haven't had them long enough, but if I can get them to bloom at the same time at some point, I'd like to cross them together, along with this other cool looking hybrid...
Aloe "Little Snow" (descoingsii X Doran Black)
2015 11 11 Aloe Little Snow a X750.jpg
2015 11 11 Aloe Little Snow a X750.jpg (259.5 KiB) Viewed 5453 times
This is the plant which I saw only pictured as "cv Chrystal". WOW!!! Wish I had one too! Does anyone know anything about it (like where to get one? hahaha)? How about guesses as to the parentage (I'm sure it's complicated, not a simple cross)?
Converted from PNG to JPG
Aloe_cv_Chrystal_-Meine_Aloen_-_Seite_4  JPG.jpg
Aloe_cv_Chrystal_-Meine_Aloen_-_Seite_4 JPG.jpg (78.78 KiB) Viewed 4134 times
mickthecactus

Re: Interesting Dick Wright hybrid

Post by mickthecactus »

Very nice! I wouldn't mind any of them.
RCS
Offset

Post by RCS »

I have a plant I'm calling Green Sand that looks just like your plant. It had no tag when I bought it but it's one RST distributed and probably lots around.

Bob
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Bob, thanks. I'm sure the Aloe 'Vito', aka Green Sand, a Kelly Griffin hybrid, is somewhat similar. I've seen plenty of pics of that, but it's not really the same as these older Dick Wright hybrids. Would you mind posting a shot of your specimen? I'd love to take a look.

Thanks mickthecactus. :D
RCS
Offset

Post by RCS »

Here is a pic. of the plant I'm calling Green Sand. The first picture was taken in May last year and the second today of the smaller plant. The plants will get a bronze cast in good light. Don't let the pot fool you this was not an Altman plant, it was just a pot I had laying around at potting time.
Attachments
IMG_3870.JPG
IMG_3870.JPG (108.16 KiB) Viewed 5428 times
Aloe Green Sand ?
Aloe Green Sand ?
IMG_4552.JPG (109.97 KiB) Viewed 5428 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Thanks for posting that. I really like the look of your second plant, although I realize it's the same thing as the first. The main difference I see between that KG creation (I'm agreeing that Vito aka Green Sand is the likely correct ID) and the DW hybrids I got is, from what I can tell so far, mine appear to be miniatures - unless they get a lot bigger than what I'm expecting and have seen so far. Leaves are a lot shorter. The one I have purchased as 'Salt' is barely 4 inches across, and already of blooming size apparently. It seems more white-ish on top of the light green. The one from Thailand is about the same size, but more densely packed with raised tubercles. If I could combine some of the features of the super white spotting of 'Little Snow' (looks like cake frosting) with the DW hybrids in the way I imagine, I think I could take a step closer to that awesome 'Chrystal', which looks like it has white icicles growing out of it everywhere. I see several years of growing, pollinating, growing, pollinating, and hopefully a whole lot of luck in front of me. :D
RCS
Offset

Post by RCS »

Not sure what size mine would be if I didn't fertilize so much but I'm positive it is not a miniature. The tubercles on your first plant are pretty close together and that makes it really interesting and the Chrystal plant is also nice. They must all have humilis in them. Lots of hybridizing happening with it and all the other bumpy ones. You will have access to them much easier living in CA. than me in LA.

Bob
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Hi Bob
I think the access is pretty much equal for us because I get most of my plants online anyway.
I actually doubt the Aloe humilis in the mix. I expect it's something more like parvula with others, and selection and further breeding and such. I think A. descoingsii is probably one popular choice for hybridizing. One interesting hybrid out there by Karen Zimmerman is the 'Dragon', loaded with prickles and a product of A. divaricata X A. parvula....with clones of that X specially selected and bred back to each other.

Tom
RCS
Offset

Post by RCS »

Hi Tom
You are right, no humilis in these. Humilis plants are nothing like these, don't know what I was thinking. I guess I was thinking of the CSSA journal with all the hybrids in it and it just spilled over in that post.

I see you have ordered from Thailand a few times. Have you had any trouble getting the plants into the states?

Bob
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I don't know for fact about not humilis, it's just what I think... for what it's worth. ::wink::

Actually, I have not had any (or much anyway) trouble with Thailand plants arriving. However, I will only buy from nurseries that provide Phytosanitary certificates. Some provide for free, some charge a reasonable fee...like $15 or so for the entire shipment. If they charge much more ($35 or so), it's got to be a plant(s) that I really want. Also, if you order anything A. victoriae reginae (even a variegated cultivar that any idiot would know doesn't exist in the wild), make sure they include a CITES certificate as well. As long as you follow those simple procedures, you'll absolutely get your plants (unless they get lost in the mail - hasn't happened to me though) because you'll be in full compliance with the law. My experience is they really scrutinize any packages from that part of the world, and no certificates - no plants (CBP will forward you an empty box). Almost every package I've received from Thailand was opened and inspected (a very high % - a couple in a row were not opened late last year). One time, the certificate was at the bottom of the box covered with these annoying tiny styrofoam balls, and Customs and Border Patrol didn't see it, so I got the empty box (or no plants anyway) treatment. I spent an hour on the phone, tracked down the actual agent who inspected my plants, and the end result was that I did get one of my plants back, after I pointed out that she missed the fact that the certificate was right there in the box, and sent a fax copy of it to her. Her rude attitude did an about face once I clued her in to the fact that she erred, after that she was very nice and very helpful. Once plants are confiscated, they automatically are forwarded to a botanist for ID, and then they are given to a rescue (in this case, I think it would have been UC Berkeley). There's rules they have to follow....documentation to maintain, and they can't sell the plants either, but they can do what they please with propagates. Customs actually lies because the form says the plant(s) is destroyed, but that's not true (in my book, if someone states an untrue fact, then it's a lie). Anyway, one plant was an A. v-r MP and because no CITES (I didn't realize at the time cultivars were included), I did not get that plant. The other one I did get, but it had to be sent back to the agent from the botanist, after which they did forward to me, so there was more than an extra week before I received that plant.

I mention all this so that anyone interested in ordering agave from Thailand can benefit from my learning curve without learning the hard way.

By the way, when it comes to inspections, all is not equal from packages sent from various countries. Up until late last year, every single Thailand package was opened and inspected, and after the 3 in a row that weren't, subsequent packages were once again. Personally, since I know there's a very high chance they will be inspected, it's not worth the risk of forgoing certificates. If you buy 3 plants, and the fee is $15, that's only $5 a plant, which is nothing compared to losing your money for the plants and receiving an empty box in the mail, with a note from Customs lying that the plants have been destroyed. Strangely, every single package I have received from Europe, has not been opened or inspected! That includes Germany, UK, Spain, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Italy. If I had to guess, I'd say they target SE Asia, maybe because of drugs? I'm speculating, don't know for fact what the reasons are. All I know is what has happened to my packages, and what hasn't.
RCS
Offset

Post by RCS »

Thanks Tom

I'm keep all this in mind if I order from Thailand. I have ordered from Ecuador and everything was in great shape.

Bob
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

No problem. I think I got only a couple of plants from South America... A. oroensis, and a particular A. sisilana MP that looked really cool, and no trouble.
With Thailand, I think due to their climate and thus awesome growing conditions, there are several very cool cultivars not otherwise readily available. I find this is especially true for variegated Sansevieria. I have no doubt I will be getting a lot more plants from there this year too. :))
Best of luck on your acquisitions!
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

So, I ordered an Aloe 'Green Sand' aka 'Vito', and it is identical to yours. The texture is the same, and margins/teeth. Mine currently displays the coloring you mentioned indicative of being grown in strong light. Being now able to compare in person this plant with other hybrids, I see it is unique and interesting, and most definitely quite different from the Dick Wright hybrids I pictured.
2016 02 10 Aloe Green Sand aka Vito c X750.jpg
2016 02 10 Aloe Green Sand aka Vito c X750.jpg (279.26 KiB) Viewed 5337 times
The plant partially visible to the right is another 'Salt' that arrived today, from the same grower, presumably grown in the same conditions. Much different is the coloration, and size. Subtly different is the texture and the margins.
RCS
Offset

Post by RCS »

Nice looking plants and Good color. Glad to see a close up of Green sand. It does look like my plant.

The plants I order from South America are all Bromeliads, mostly high altitude Guzmanias and some Tillandsias. I have a greenhouse with a wet wall that keeps the heat way down in summer.
I also grow some Dyckias and Hechtias and have made several crosses and have named and registered a few at the BCR.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

That's awesome. :U So far, my only Bromeliads are Dyckia, and have been dabbling with them, and have collected some which to my eye are distinctive and very attractive. The attraction there for me is the usual spiny rosette reminiscent of agave. The most interesting ones are the spiniest, and color and texture come into play as well. There are so many now out there though, with all the hybridizing going on, and so many that look quite similar and not particularly noteworthy. Running down a search on Ebay, for example, as a resource where one can peruse a great many at once, so many look pedestrian, and only a few really stand out. Resultingly, I've found my interest in them has not kept pace with my interest in Aloe, Agave, Echeveria, Sansevieria.... Of late, I've grown fond of Gasteria and Haworthia. The highly attractive aspect of Haworthia is they are not only diverse, but on the whole quite miniature, and therefor much more "reasonable" to acquire many in a smaller space (well...."reasonable" excepting the cost. Many very awesome looking ones are extremely pricey). Another hurdle for me with Dyckia, is that I've only had 2 different ones bloom so far, and not at the same time either. One has bloomed twice, a particularly nice marnier-lapostollei, and a 'Gray Ops' which bloomed last year. As such, I haven't been able to cross any as originally intended. Perhaps as my specimens mature over time, I'll have more luck with that. But, it does appear to me that I have zero talent in germinating those seeds. So far, the couple of times I purchased seeds, zero germination. I've researched, followed other successful grower's procedure by the letter, and nothing. Maybe the seeds were bad, but probably it's me. ;) For whatever reasons, my reality is telling me that propagating Dyckia by seed may not be my thing. :lol:
One of my greatest interests for me is the application of genetics and selection in achieving nice self grown plants. I'm also very interested in variegates. Agave take too long to bloom, so my mere human life span pretty much precludes growing selected plants by seed over generations. Also, variegation mutation can not be typically achieved by seed, since it is well known that Agave variegates are mainly chimeras. Aloes are fun to grow from seed, but there again, I believe variegates must be propagated vegetatively, excepting the rare mutations occasionally occurring by seed. I don't think I want to spend my time growing 1000s of seedlings hoping to find a single variegate by pure chance. Interestingly, there again are the Gasteria and Haworthia which apparently can to some degree actually propagate variegates by seed, by cytoplasmic inheritance. D)) Another reason to focus more on them in specific relation to my greater interests.

Sounds like you have a great set up and a great love for the Bromeliads. I know they produce the most amazing blooms, and I'm sure you are deriving a great deal of enjoyment utilizing your expertise and experience with them. Very cool!
RCS
Offset

Post by RCS »

I have had lots of fun growing Bromeliads and other plants in general for 40 plus years. They all never cease to amaze me.
You are right that some of the Dyckias and about all the Hechtias are pretty big and will draw a fair amount of blood when dividing and repotting them. A well grown big Dyckia or Hechtia can be a real knockout though.

The World Bromeliad Conference will be in Houston this year in June and I'll be there to see what is new and hopefully have enough money to take a few home. I'll take in Cactus King Nursery again and check out their Agaves and Cactus. They have a huge selection of Cactus, Agaves and Aloes, at least within driving distance for me.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

progress on the Aloe 'Salt' flowering
2016 02 15 Aloe Salt Variegated flowering b X750.jpg
2016 02 15 Aloe Salt Variegated flowering b X750.jpg (210.61 KiB) Viewed 5307 times
2016 02 15 Aloe Salt _ Aloe descoingsii flowers a a.JPG
2016 02 15 Aloe Salt _ Aloe descoingsii flowers a a.JPG (73.82 KiB) Viewed 5307 times
To the left, is a concurrently blooming Aloe descoingsii, which I am cross pollinating with 'Salt' daily. Hopefully, I'll wind up with more seeds to sow. D))
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I had mentioned that 'Salt', due to info I got regarding where it was procured, might be the same as the DW hybrid from Renny called 'Shaved Coconut'. I got my own copy of Shaved Coconut (from Renny) and it's definitely yet again different from the the DW hybrids in the first two pictures of the first post (#1 from Thailand, #2 'Salt').
Here's today's view of my new Shaved Coconut, having had this last week to recuperate from the bare root shipping.
2016 02 25 Aloe DW Shaved Coconut b.JPG
2016 02 25 Aloe DW Shaved Coconut b.JPG (117.17 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
Another shot of 'Salt' taken at the same time in the exact same lighting
2016 02 25 Aloe DW Salt #1 a.JPG
2016 02 25 Aloe DW Salt #1 a.JPG (175.93 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
Ive realized that another reason this hybrid looks so white is that it's also got white variegation. Only by looking at the underside of the leaves is it really apparent. The white variegation on the top of the leaf surfaces under the white tubercles is not that easy to see, but it definitely influences the overall appearance.
2016 02 25 Aloe DW Salt #2 b.JPG
2016 02 25 Aloe DW Salt #2 b.JPG (97.3 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
2016 02 25 Aloe DW Salt #2 c.JPG
2016 02 25 Aloe DW Salt #2 c.JPG (73.27 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
That's 3 different but quite similar hybrids in circulation all attributed to Dick Wright. On the way from Spain now, is another DW hybrid that is yet again different, but similar...much closer in appearance to the 'Chrystal' hybrid pictured previously, so heavy with tubercles giving the appearance of "spines" growing out from the leaf surface as well. I'll post up pics of that after it gets here. It's almost exactly what I was looking for in the first place. Looks to me that Mr. Wright was really on to something with several versions of miniature, similar, quite white looking hybrids. I think they're all awesome. Really looking forward to crossing them together in the future, and see what happens.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I said I would post a pic of my newest DW hybrid from Spain, and I needed to give it some time to recover from transit. Here it is for comparison to the others.
2016 04 04 Aloe Hybrid ex Dick Wright _ Spain #1 a X750.jpg
2016 04 04 Aloe Hybrid ex Dick Wright _ Spain #1 a X750.jpg (191.42 KiB) Viewed 5189 times
A fresh shot of 'Shaved Coconut', a couple months later
2016 04 05 Aloe Hyb Dick Wright Shaved Coconut _ Renny a x750.jpg
2016 04 05 Aloe Hyb Dick Wright Shaved Coconut _ Renny a x750.jpg (186.47 KiB) Viewed 5189 times
RCS
Offset

Post by RCS »

Great looking plants on their way to becoming outstanding. Keep us up to date as they grow.

Bob
leo25
Offset

Post by leo25 »

I know some of this Aloes :) I am very very motivated with Aloe crosses now but I need more special mother plants . I am crossing too Gasterias x Aloes. I will follow your progress, spination :)
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

leo25 wrote:I know some of this Aloes :) I am very very motivated with Aloe crosses now but I need more special mother plants . I am crossing too Gasterias x Aloes. I will follow your progress, spination :)
Yes you do Leo. The plant in the first pic of the last post is yours. :U Thank you very much! D)) Also, you were absolutely correct, it recovered from shipping very nicely, and is looking great. So are the others I got from you, and the Aloe 'Angelo' variegated is awesome!!!

It would seem we are similarly interested in making interesting crosses. I just recently crossed Gasteria rawlinsonii with G. marmorata Variegated. Interestingly, only the marmorata set a seed pod from the rawlinsonii pollen, but not the other way around. However, before the rawlinsonii finished flowering, I was able to try again pollinating it with handy Aloe 'Sunrise' (Kelly Griffin Hybrid) pollen, and to my surprise, that worked (!) as seed pods on those last upper flowers are now forming. If the resulting seeds will be good, that should be a very interesting result. :))
leo25
Offset

Post by leo25 »

I am so happy that the plants are recovered fine before the travel. I will be waiting your pics of the new crosses, I think they will be very nice. :)
Good luck

Regards
Leo
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

So, from here...
2016 03 21 Aloe Salt #1 pollen donor X Aloe descoingsii X750.jpg
2016 03 21 Aloe Salt #1 pollen donor X Aloe descoingsii X750.jpg (242.96 KiB) Viewed 5084 times
To here...
2016 04 02 Aloe Hybrid _ decoingsii X Salt a X750.jpg
2016 04 02 Aloe Hybrid _ decoingsii X Salt a X750.jpg (119.69 KiB) Viewed 5084 times
22 days later, seed pods crack open, 23 total seeds from 4 pods
2016 04 24 Aloe Hybrid descoingsii X Salt 23 seeds from 4 tiny pods.JPG
2016 04 24 Aloe Hybrid descoingsii X Salt 23 seeds from 4 tiny pods.JPG (38.81 KiB) Viewed 5084 times
12 days later, very first sign of new life. Too early to say, but so far, about 50% germination rate.
2016 05 08 Aloe Hybrid descoingsii X Salt.JPG
2016 05 08 Aloe Hybrid descoingsii X Salt.JPG (106.4 KiB) Viewed 5084 times
Now comes the hard part. Waiting 6 more months for first clues what they might look like. :8:
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Progress...
I count 19 seedlings in total (2 growing very close), out of 23 seeds. Awesome! They're growing fast too...
2016 05 16 Aloe Hybrid descoingsii S X Aloe Salt P X750.jpg
2016 05 16 Aloe Hybrid descoingsii S X Aloe Salt P X750.jpg (321.69 KiB) Viewed 5028 times