I should have known better...

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

toditd
Ready to Bolt

I should have known better...

Post by toditd »

Oops, I should have known better...

It's been on my want list for a while, so I was excited when I found Aloe 'Super Red'(TM), aka Aloe hybrid 'LEO 3711', aka Aloe 'Scarlet Rockets', at a local nursery. I brought one home and located it in a spot that gets morning through mid-afternoon sun. Well, that was a mistake. It was a bit more sun/heat than it could handle and in a few short days: severely sun scorched leaves. :eek:

The plant has several twisted leaves and it is mostly these twisted leaves that got burned where the underside of the leaves are exposed due to the twisting. For now I have moved it to nearly full but bright shade, getting only late afternoon low angle sun. Hmm...I've heard aloe vera makes a good treatment for burns... :))

Lesson: Even if the tag says "Full Sun", introduce the plant to sun slowly, especially if the previous growing conditions aren't known and that sun is intense low desert sun.

I haven't decided yet whether I will remove the burned leaves or just leave them be, (pun not originally intended, but on preview…), but I'm leaning toward just leaving them be.

If I can keep it alive through the summer I hope to have it along side my other Leo Thamm hybrid Aloe 'Erik the Red".
Aloe 'Super Red' leaf burn on exposed underside of leaves.
IMG_1413.jpg (139.92 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
IMG_1414.jpg (140.07 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
Aloe 'Super Red' most upper leaf surfaces ok.
Aloe 'Super Red' most upper leaf surfaces ok.
IMG_1425.jpg (145.81 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: I should have known better...

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Looks a little toasted but it should be OK. Even if it happens every year, the plant will survive...I get predictably burned leaves on the same few aloes each year, but have forced myself to not worry about it.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

'Super Red' (aka 'LEO 3711', aka 'Scarlet Rockets') is pretty tough. It'll be fine soon enough.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

That was a nice find. Sorry it sunburned but it actually doesn't look that bad to me.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Aloe X 'Super-Red' should harden-off fine for you, with eventually thicker, shorter, and somewhat blue-green leaves. I don't know if you had it sitting up against the house like in the photo; if so, that increases the chance of burning the plant from reflected light and heat. I would leave the scorched leaves on the plant; they will help to harden it off faster.

The plant looks shade-house grown, or perhaps coastal California grown. I know that the only place I have ever seen this hybrid offered is from San Marcos Growers, which is along the coastal plain in Santa Barbara, California. They are probably yet to experience temperatures much over 75 degrees Fahrenheit this year. Also, especially in Phoenix, most potted plants in sun have a particularly hard time in temperatures consistently over 100 degrees F.

It will do much better in the ground, if you are willing to chance it with the occasionally under 28 degrees F. frosts you get in the V.O.T.S. This is a great plant that offsets heavily, eventually growing into a form much like a slightly larger version of Aloe arborescens.

It's flowers are also quite spectacular! ::wink::

The Monger
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it...we've all been there.
Not much I can say that hasn't been said already in the other replies, but I'll echo Monger- I wouldn't cut the leaves off either.
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

Thanks all, glad to know it's a tough one. The damaged leaves will stay attached as a few have recommended and I'll harden it off a bit slower now.
Agavemonger wrote: I don't know if you had it sitting up against the house like in the photo; if so, that increases the chance of burning the plant from reflected light and heat.
Oh no, the 'Super Red' was up against the house there only briefly, just for the photos. That west facing wall would be certain death for most potted plants, getting the full brunt of direct and reflected afternoon sun and heat.
Agavemonger wrote:The plant looks shade-house grown, or perhaps coastal California grown. I know that the only place I have ever seen this hybrid offered is from San Marcos Growers, which is along the coastal plain in Santa Barbara, California.
At the quick rate the that leaves burned it did occurred to me that it might have been shade-house grown. It was grown by Monrovia (according to the Monrovia pot and attached Monrovia tag), so maybe it was grown in their Visalia, CA facility (or perhaps grown by someone else for them).
Agavemonger wrote:It will do much better in the ground
It may eventually go in the ground, but the 100+F temps are here to stay for a while, so the optimum transplant window has ended until October, at the earliest. Optimum not for just for the plants, but for the guy wielding the pick ax trying to penetrate the ground a quarter inch at a time. (I'm overheating just thinking about it.) Not the best soil for succulents by any means. Someday I hope to install a proper raised succulent mound or bed.
Agavemonger wrote:It's flowers are also quite spectacular!
It's those wonderful flowers that I first saw in the gallery photos that put 'Super Red' high on my want list. I was quite surprised and happy to find them at a Phoenix area nursery!
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Yeah, you were lucky to even get the plant!

It might be a good idea to pot the plant up in a slightly larger pot (and a little deeper in the pot to get the offsets to better root) and grow it in afternoon shade for the summer (sun until about 10:30 a.m., then shade for the rest of the day). And monthly liquid fertilization at 1/2 recommended strength. You should be able to root a few cuttings in the meantime, then plant the plant out in a raised bed in October. Cuttings should root fast (in the shade!) all summer long; probably better in June.

Good luck! ::wink::

The Monger
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

Thanks for the advice AgaveMonger.

I do plan to move it to a larger pot. (That potting queue seems to grow ever longer. I guess that's a good thing! :)) ) I usually pot my plants high right up to the rim of the pot, so I'm curious as to your recommendation to plant it deeper and how that will help the offsets root better. Perhaps by providing a little more shade to the soil? The aloe does have two decent sized offsets, one visible in the lower left of the top photo, and another small offset maybe only an inch and half tall.
Tony C
Bulbil

Post by Tony C »

toditd wrote:Thanks for the advice AgaveMonger.

I usually pot my plants high right up to the rim of the pot, so I'm curious as to your recommendation to plant it deeper and how that will help the offsets root better.
@Toditd; I also always plant level with the rim of the pot but yes seems the American guys on this site always recommed to plant deeper.
It makes no sense at all because the potting soil will always subside/compact and in the end the plant sits way below the rim of the pot looking terrible.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I agree. Soil compaction is real. I do the same, try to get the soil level as high as possible initially, because before long, it all will be sitting lower anyway. Of course, this is more true for larger pots (1 gal and up) than for small pots with more miniature plants.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Sorry, guys:

When I said plant the plant deeper in the pot, I meant to say deeper underneath the soil level. ::wink:: In other words, bury the plant deeper underground. The offsets will root independently of the mother plant once exposed to the soil. It is kind of the same effect as rooting a cutting, but more like air-layering. The plant's offsetting branches will root while still attached to the mother plant that way, which gives a higher success rate propagating the plant when doing divisions. (offsets with roots have a higher success, or "take" rate than offsets without roots) :8:

I always pack whatever pot I am using with soil within 1/2" of the rim; usually they are completely full. Having just gotten back within the last hour from buying a load of 1,000+ pots, I can assure you guys that if you don't need a pot completely filled with soil, then just say no and use a smaller pot! D))

The Monger
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood as well, but now I recall you have mentioned that before. Good to hear it again...sunk in a little deeper. lol - not the plant - me!
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

Ok, deeper in the soil then, not deeper in the pot. Go ahead, throw some extra dirt on top! Got it. Although, I may have to fight that ingrained rule (for trees and shrubs) not to bury the root flare.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Yeah, that practice has always seemed odd to a lot of people, and with some plants it is highly controversial! But it works for me! ::wink::

The Monger
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

Agavemonger wrote:Having just gotten back within the last hour from buying a load of 1,000+ pots
I'm trying to picture that load -- all stacked up in one giant tower. Watch out for that overpass! D)) Any chance of a photo of 1000+ pots? (I'm easily entertained.)
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

My Aloe 'Super Red' has survived the sunburn, it has survived the repotting, and it has survived it's first brutally long and hot Phoenix summer. Now it is getting ready to delight me with a few blooms. I can hardly wait to see what it has in store! I've discover two developing inflorescences, one of which will likely have at least three racemes.
Aloe 'Super Red' 20171111
IMG_1759.jpg (418.65 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
IMG_1766.jpg (240.69 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
IMG_1758.jpg (227.24 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
IMG_1765.jpg (200.3 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

Aloe 'Super Red' bloom progress. A little bit of that red is just starting to show.
Aloe 'Super Red' 20171201
IMG_1805.jpg (99.77 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
IMG_1830.jpg (83.04 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
IMG_1820.jpg (53.03 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Very nice!
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

Azuleja wrote:Very nice!
Thanks Azuleja.

Here's another bloom progress photo from today.
Aloe 'Super Red' 20171210
Aloe 'Super Red' 20171210
IMG_1871.jpg (46.6 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

Aloe Super Red bloom progress. Lower flowers on main raceme now turning down with lowest flower now open.
I'm really liking the blooms on this aloe! :))
Aloe 'Super Red' 20171222
Aloe 'Super Red' 20171222
IMG_1881.jpg (86.83 KiB) Viewed 2177 times