Cool no-name hybrid

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Cool no-name hybrid

Post by Spination »

Came from Spain, represented as ex Dick Wright, and I sure like it. It's growing, but in over a year, no flowers and no offsets yet.
It's got nice, unique marginals that curl in different directions, and even teeth (or so it looks like it) coming right out of the leaf surfaces. Lots of bumps. All in all, one I would consider a winner!
2017 07 01 Aloe ex DW Spain a.jpg
2017 07 01 Aloe ex DW Spain a.jpg (76.91 KiB) Viewed 743 times
2017 07 01 Aloe ex DW Spain e.jpg
2017 07 01 Aloe ex DW Spain e.jpg (68.53 KiB) Viewed 743 times
Kwie2011
Bulbil

Re: Cool no-name hybrid

Post by Kwie2011 »

OMG, I have seen it for sale, but it never looked as good! Your plants are always so pretty.

I definitely think it looks like a DW hybrid. Seems like he had a lot of that shape and those weird tubercles. The more recent offerings from his nursery look random-bred to me, and like they're reverting, but this looks like an earlier plant.

I so want to place an order with them. It's $100 for 10 plants. I'd want to pick my plants though, and I think they send a random assortment, and frankly, some of his hybrids are butt-ugly. Others are absolute stunners though, like yours.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Wow, you got a reply from them? So... they are still in business. That's good to know.

You know, I'd almost like to see if they would allow an appointment. I would probably be down for a drive all that way and see if they'd let me pick out 20 plants at those prices, which seems very fair and reasonable. I see from Googlemaps... if I visit my daughter in Merced, it's only another 12 hours round trip to drive to Fallbrook. ONLY! Very tempting though...
Kwie2011
Bulbil

Post by Kwie2011 »

I did get an answer... at first. I asked for a catalog, or for which plants on the site were actually for sale. I was told that it was 10 plants for $100, and they even said yes to me picking out the ones I wanted, but they never sent a list, and didn't reply to my follow-up. I read somewhere else about people buying boxes of hybrids. Whether those are the 10/$100, I don't know, but the few I saw were ugly. Also saw some nicer ones at some show he was at not that long ago- someone's Instagram post in the last few years. Some of those hybrids were very nice, and others ugly. I don't know what event it was.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

It sounds like hit or miss, and that they are active, but perhaps not too much. I'll have to send another message (never got an answer to my first), and see if I can make an appointment to show up. Perhaps, with no shipping to deal with, and cash paid on the spot, they might be agreeable to a visitor/buyer.

There are so many ex DW (or at least represented as such) being offered, I have to wonder how many are, or aren't actual DW hybrids. In my book, if he didn't breed it, and directly provide the plant, then it just is not a DW hybrid, even if it (seedling cross) came from his plants. Such is the case for a "DW hybrid" I was given as a bonus, and then told it was from a seedling grown by the seller (but NOT DW). Sure, it's a nice plant, but that's not the point. Maybe I'm being too picky about that. All I know is if I breed 2 plants, from whomever the plants originated, I would represent the plant exactly as it is, something I grew from Plant X, and Plant Y - not try to pass it off as something created by one of those breeders. So, that's one I know about. How many others? An actual visit, a look at the plants, and perhaps some information if offered would help to clarify that issue, at least for me personally.

Also, I agree that some are nicer than others. We all have some idea of what is appealing, and not so much, and not all are going to agree. But, I can see how in any particular person's estimation, one might be awesome, and another "ugly". D))