Aloe polyphylla seeds

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

vitovito2011
Rhizome

Aloe polyphylla seeds

Post by vitovito2011 »

Hi. I've some polyphylla seeds. Is there someone who grows/have grown them from seed? Thanks
mickthecactus

Re: Aloe polyphylla seeds

Post by mickthecactus »

Yes, I have. You need to germinate them in water.
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

I have just started my second batch! My first two are 7 months old and my second batch just started germinating. They are super fun to grow.

I respectfully disagree with mikethecactus. I have tried this method, but I got germination and then quickly destroyed the delicate root on transplantation.

I germinate mine in a cactus mix supplemented with perlite (up to 75%). I follow Alan Beverly's original advice about sanding the papery wings off of the seeds prior to sowing. I sit my pots in a shallow bowl of water with Actinovate (a colonizing bacteria that keeps fungus under control - I'm sure this isn't necessary for germination) & allow the soil to absorb it until it is just moist on the surface. I then plant the seeds about as deep as they are wide, then spray the top with some water. Cover with plastic wrap and wait. I've had both of my batches begin to germinate at day 10, but I've had germination as late as 3 weeks.

Recently, Spination shared that Alan Beverly no longer recommends sanding the seeds, so you can take it or leave it. This batch I sanded 30/50 and did not sand 20/50, and so far the only ones that germinated were sanded, but it is too early to tell. I keep the seeds at a southwest facing window. Regarding germination rate, I had 40% but only sowed 5 seeds the first time. Too early to tell for this second batch.
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Here are some photos of my 7 month old seedlings & the seedlings 10 days after sowing.

These plants have a bad reputation for being difficult, but honestly I think they are quite forgiving. My 7 month old seedlings survived a move, being toppled over by cats multiple times, and non-ideal soil/sun conditions and are now really starting to take off. The key is providing an extremely well-draining and well AERATED mixture (hence all the perlite), as the roots are very metabolically active and also sensitive to high temperatures. Also, if you give them >50% perlite, it's virtually impossible to over water or rot the roots - and they like A LOT of water. I water mine every day and the soil never dries out. I'm sure Spiny will echo this sentiment. He has several plants that are now huge adults and I get a lot of my tips from him :)
Attachments
A. polyphylla - 7 months
A. polyphylla - 7 months
polyphylla7mo.jpg (73.54 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
A. polyphylla germinated
A. polyphylla germinated
apolyphyllagerm.jpg (108.05 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Steph, I would say you are a quick study and have this one down pat. :U I just ordered another few seeds, this time from a UK seller (want to mix up the genetics in my group of plants), and am going to go back to lightly sanding the seeds too. It didn't seem to hurt, and it does seem to promote faster germination, as your results confirm. Also, like you, I'm not a fan of the germinate in water routine. That just seems to me an unnecessary and additional step - one more detail to complicate and possibly botch the end result (undamaged, germinated seed).
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Don't agree with you guys but I'll let you know my method next week!
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

It's amazing to me how any of my seedlings survived in that dark, New Orleans house. These 1 month old A. polyphylla seedlings are growing at a much faster rate than my first batch in better sun. They look about the size of my last batch of seedlings at 2 months.
Attachments
A. polyphylla seedlings - 1 month from sowing
A. polyphylla seedlings - 1 month from sowing
apoly1month.jpg (76.03 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Polyphylla palooza! I just sowed my remaining 50 seeds in a single container because I yielded only a 10% germination rate with the first 50. I must have done something strange because all 5 that germinated were in the same container of ten (did I forget to put the seeds in? :?) :lol: Anyway! 11/50 have germinated so far. They might be a bit crowded but I don't think they'll mind too much. I've also found they tolerate transplanting very well even at a young age. I actually just transplanted a 2-month old seedling to give to a friend and it's doing well in its own pot.

This species is so much fun to grow. Pictured below are newly-germinated seeds, roughly 10 days from sowing (10 days has consistently been my magic number with these), 2-month old seedlings, and my 9 month-old seedlings.

I guess the true test will be acclimating these guys outdoors next year. This species has such a bad reputation for being difficult to grow that people are actively discouraged from attempting to grow it/purchase it in another online forum. Hearing this from experienced growers gives me pause, but then I think about Spiny's happy A. poly all hot and toasty in SoCal D))
Attachments
A. polyphylla - 10 days
A. polyphylla - 10 days
image3(9).JPG (99.92 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
A. polyphylla - 2 months
A. polyphylla - 2 months
image2(28).JPG (87.58 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
A. polyphylla - 9 months
A. polyphylla - 9 months
image1(76).JPG (98.76 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Norcal - but, in the wine country, probably not too much different climate. We get our share of hot days.

Congrats, and great work! Curious... where did you get your seeds?

I like that folks are being discouraged because they're so difficult. It makes success that much more sweet. D)) And, less competition! :lol:
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Oh no! I've outted myself - my California geography is so bad. These are from Silverhill Seeds.
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

I'm not sure I've ever asked you - where have yours been from Spiny? Am I remembering correctly that you got some from A.B. himself?
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

My first seeds (5) came from an Ebay seller in Florida. I just wanted to try it out, and got 3 of 5 to germinate. Next try - 25 seeds from Germany, a bust. Then the A.B. seeds, which was the 2nd successful try. I got 15 seeds from a UK Ebay seller, and those are a bust so far too. I think I'm going to order Silverhill seeds soon, and give that a try. With the single plant I bought which is my largest one, I have 3 separate strains of genes to work with.
I was looking for a different source as well, so that at some point in the distant future I can make my own seeds, and have sufficiently different genetic lines to work with - something that AB considers important, based on reading his written available material online.
Thanks for the Silverhill info. I had seen those on the aloe seed lists there, figured I should try them, and now feel like that should definitely be my next source of seeds to try.
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

I gotcha. I'm also hoping to make my own seeds in the future. I think I might try Alan Beverly next - half because it must be pretty cool to have seeds from the A.p. man himself.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

I still say that if you germinate them in water you will get a much better rate.
AgaveMad
Offset

Post by AgaveMad »

mickthecactus wrote:I still say that if you germinate them in water you will get a much better rate.
I agree 100%
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Well, my 15 seeds recently from the UK I did the water thing. Zero germination. I say, crap seeds are crap seeds, and they won't germinate - water or mix. Good seeds, and I expect they will germinate either way. All of my successful germination so far has been planting them in medium, keeping them moist, and on seedling heat mats.

Next time, provided I can get a respectable # of seeds to make a trial worthwhile and meaningful, I'll split them in 1/2. Then 1/2 in water to germinate, and the other 1/2 the way which has worked for me in the past. From the same batch of seeds, then I think different results would be reasonably reliable information.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

That must be really disappointing. It has always worked for me.

Was it an ebay seller?
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Mike, what germination rates do you see with the water method? Also, do you lose any that germinate in water upon or sometime after transplantation? And since we're on the subject, from where have you gotten your seeds?

Speaking for myself, I like the soil method because it has worked well enough for me and it's less fuss. But I'm curious as to whether the water method is so conducive to germination that it produces germination in seeds/seedlings that may have otherwise not germinated in soil due to some sort of weakness that will reveal itself as the plant grows, either as early seedling loss or less robust growth. This may not be the case and you may have perfect retention in your seedlings, but I'm curious about this. Every one of my seedlings has survived infancy and are quite robust.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Yes, an Ebay seller. I don't want to name names. Seemed like a nice fellow, and it was the first time I dealt with him, and I'm reluctant to make a strong judgement based on a single experience.

Also, this has been a weird year for me with seeds. Earlier, after our rather late coming spring, with actual freeze days into March, which is super unusual... I had a rash of things not germinating (my own seeds of hybrid crosses). This was somewhat unexpected, as I didn't change my methodology that was highly successful the year before. That situation reversed with the trial of the Silverhill seeds I got earlier this year (ramosissima, suprafoliata, melanacantha), with germination for every species, and then also since then my own seeds from various crosses have been doing very well again. It's a mystery, and I can only speculate if the strange weather and temps had anything to do with it at all. Same seedling heat mats, same soil mix, same watering/misting, same LED lighting on timer (but also subject to ambient lighting filtering inside the greenhouse). I just don't know. For me, it goes into the "can't win 'em all" rationalization file, or a string of bad luck. Maybe a high and temporary incidence of sterile seeds, bad seeds (but they were fresh)? I'm just glad things are back on track now.

Anyway, I'm going to order the Silverhill polyphylla seeds, and I'll try 1/2 in water once again, and the other 1/2 in soil. Should be interesting to see if I get a different germination rate.

Interesting too, I see Silverhill notes for that species that cold treatment is needed. That's the first time I've heard that, and have never done that with this species before. Does anyone else provide a cold treatment for polyphylla seeds?
AgaveMad
Offset

Post by AgaveMad »

I did not use cold treatment.
To be honest I am sceptical about cold treatment, I have done it for various other types of seeds and always a big fat fail. Now I ignore that advice on ALL types of seeds, I figure good fresh seed will always germinate.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I did it once with iris seeds from a cross I made, and it worked well. Seeds were stored in a baggie with soil mix in the fridge for about a month or so. What I don't know is if they would have germinated anyway without doing that.