Looking for any information on Aloe Pink Lace?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Woodlily74
Ready to Bolt

Looking for any information on Aloe Pink Lace?

Post by Woodlily74 »

Anyone know of A. Pink Lace? Thanks Woody
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: Looking for any information on Aloe Pink Lace?

Post by Spination »

http://aridlandswholesale.com/oscommerc ... s_id=13792" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Woodlily74
Ready to Bolt

Post by Woodlily74 »

I think it's a Bill Baker Hybrid?
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Ah, OK... I found/see where you got that. Corona Cactus "believes" it's a Bill Baker hybrid. Arid Lands thinks "likely" it's a KG hybrid. I have no direct knowledge either way, so I don't have a clue. I think Monger is probably the most knowledgeable tabletop hybrid enthusiast here, perhaps he can shed some light on the origin for you. In any case, I don't find it particularly appealing, so my motivation to investigate much is nil to none. ::wink::

By the way, the image of Arid Land's 'Pink Lace' and Corona Cactus's 'Pink Lace' don't really much resemble each other.

Anyway, this goes to what we should all know by now, that IDs on a lot of these hybrids are questionable and debatable. So many are alike. So many are selling them with IDs that may or may not be right. There is no actual registry or archive or database out there to look over guaranteed examples of any particular hybrid for comparisons. That doesn't even speak to the fact that 2 different growers providing a variety of different growing conditions could conceivably grow the exact same thing and the two products exhibit appreciable variation (color, etiolation vs compactness, etc).
Marlon Machado
Offset

Post by Marlon Machado »

Well, most images on Google show a plant with slender leaves, not unlike A. bellatula or A. albiflora. In fact, its flowers looks like the result of a cross between the two species. The Aridlands plant is completely different, it looks something like A. 'Pink Blush'.
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agave_fan »

Here is a photo of a pink lace I ordered from Arid lands a few months ago:
AL Pink Lace.jpg
AL Pink Lace.jpg (52.3 KiB) Viewed 999 times
Not the most flattering photo due to all the tip damage but wanted to give you a closer look at what the AL pink lace looks like.

For comparison, here is a pink blush I got from AL around the same time:
AL pink blush.jpg
AL pink blush.jpg (84.59 KiB) Viewed 997 times
I noticed that there is a seller on ebay right now selling the longer slender version of pink lace: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALOE-HYBRID-PI ... SwHUhZ-1dR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Woodlily74
Ready to Bolt

Post by Woodlily74 »

Thanks AgaveFan, I have some seedlings out of Pink Lace the long leafed on EBay, and Bright Star/Donnie. Ya know anything about Bill Baker1917-2001? I believe he was a Dentist and Plantsman as well.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

Bill Baker died in 2009 and was no more than 60 years old. He lived in Tarzana, CA, and was best known for his dyckia hybrids, which sparked a huge rise in popularity for the genus. There's an obituary online but it's behind a pay wall.
Woodlily74
Ready to Bolt

Post by Woodlily74 »

Pink Lace seedlings
Attachments
Pink Lace x Bright Star seedlings sibs
Pink Lace x Bright Star seedlings sibs
IMG_20171122_072625.jpg (248.88 KiB) Viewed 961 times