Hercules Aloe - need help please

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

denisebe

Hercules Aloe - need help please

Post by denisebe »

Hi,

I just had a Hercules Aloe planted in my yard 2 months ago. It looked great when we bought it, but now, just a few short weeks later, the leaves are full of spots. Does someone know what this means. Is my plant sick, is it dying. I am seriously worried. The spots are mostly on the upper leaves, but seem to be spreading quickly. Any advise is much appreciated. Thank you!
Attachments
20171117_104404.jpg
20171117_104404.jpg (146.21 KiB) Viewed 900 times
20171117_104400.jpg
20171117_104400.jpg (183.76 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: Hercules Aloe - need help please

Post by Spination »

Well... before assuming the worst - I have had mysterious wounds on both Aloe and Agave in the past, and was stumped for a long time. Those wounds on your plant are awfully familiar, and they are like the surface has been carved down into the leaf. In fact, if your problem is the same as what my problem was - that's exactly what happened. I solved my problem with regular purchases of a box here and there from the garden center.... of snail poison/pellets. By sprinkling around the garden periodically, I can prevent the population explosions that cause these denizens to find whatever they feel like munching on in the dead of night and causing that damage. When they sit on a delectable leaf, they actually carve the skin right off the plant, down into the leaf, leaving those horrible, exasperating, and mysterious areas of damage. In addition to sprinkling around, I will make sure to place a circle of pellets around plants I don't want them touching. It works perfectly. They can't resist munching poison on the way, and die before they can cause mischief.
denisebe

Post by denisebe »

Thanks for your reply. So you think it's some animal munching on the leaves? Ugh! Would it also make sense to spray the leaves with something? Did your plants fully recover?
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Yeah, the animal is "snails" ! The damage won't repair itself. but eventually those leaves will be replaced by new ones.