Largest table-top Aloe hybrid?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Marlon Machado
Offset

Largest table-top Aloe hybrid?

Post by Marlon Machado »

Besides Aloe 'Sunset' which definitively gets big (mine is a foot and a half tall, a foot in diameter), which other table-top hybrids are on the larger side, and how big do they get?
Aloe 'Sunset'
Aloe 'Sunset'
SAM_7640.JPG (65.38 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Largest table-top Aloe hybrid?

Post by Melt in the Sun »

I've seen some 'Kelly's Blue' around that size at a nursery in Tucson, not for sale. Impressive when they get that large!
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

How big is your table? A. 'Spiney' is supposed to stay about a foot in diameter. I've never heard it referred to as a tabletop aloe so I don't know what the criteria is. It has nice spines and color though.
Marlon Machado
Offset

Post by Marlon Machado »

Thank you Melt in the Sun, I have 'Kelly's Blue', but I did not know it would get so large. Now I look forward to mine getting to that sort of size :))
Marlon Machado
Offset

Post by Marlon Machado »

Azuleja, I was thinking about the colorful, KG and KZ type hybrids. I would like to have some larger-growing types that could be grown in a small garden and whose features would still be visible. The smaller types would simply pass unnoticed, I guess.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

'Delta Lights' is also reasonably large (about 12"), though certainly not as colorful as others.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Marlon Machado wrote:Azuleja, I was thinking about the colorful, KG and KZ type hybrids.
I agree that more larger ones would be nice. 'Spiney' should be hardier that most, if not all, of the KG and KZ aloes, which makes it appealing to me. Mine has had great color so far.

Aloe capitata var. quartziticola is hard to beat for larger sized color.
Attachments
20171201_102232-1.jpg
20171201_102232-1.jpg (66.09 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

I just tried to transfer some pollen from Aloe 'Blizzard' to Aloe megalacantha, but I was not the only pollinator at work (plenty of hummingbirds in on the action) and I am not sure if A. megalacantha selfs or not. The last few blooming cycles on that plant has yielded about 25-50% seed pods, which does not make it clear to me if it selfs or not. Only one seed pod on the 'Blizzard' and afaik remember not from a flower I tried to put megalacantha pollen on, but as said.. hummingbirds galore.

Now to keep an eye on the seed pods so I can harvest the seed.

Blizzard does not get very big, but megalacantha is easily 2-3 (4) feet across in terms of rosettes and it also sprawls on a stem.
It is what it is!
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

My rule of thumb based on experience is that most Aloe don't self, unless and until one through repeated observation determines which the exceptions are. So far, I have one Aloe which I know for sure selfs, and that is Aloe plicatilis. Once one has seen at least a couple or a few blooming cycles go by and knows there was nothing else around to pollinate a particular plant, and seed pods do result each time, then self pollination is apparent. Also, and quite consistently, unless I am actively transferring pollen from one thing to another, there will be no seed pods, which supports the idea that all of those involved do not self. What's nice about that, IMO, is that I have a high degree of confidence regarding the ID of any particular cross I make. I should mention as well that most plants I'm interesting in using for crosses are not accessible to hummingbirds, eliminating that particular X factor. I should mention as well that it's becoming more apparent to me as well, that many of the designer hybrids of the same identity are not being successfully pollinated when crossed together, which more and more seems to me that when two plants of identical genetics are crossed together - I'm getting the same net result as an individual plant which does not self... no seed pods.
Marlon Machado
Offset

Post by Marlon Machado »

The plant below is an unnamed hybrid bred by a friend here in Brazil. Not very colorful, but I love the texture of the leaves. And it keeps getting bigger and bigger D))
unnamed hybrid
unnamed hybrid
CAM00298.jpg (99.28 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

A. 'Sunset' I presume does get large, due to it's tree-like growth.

My largest table-top hybrid so far...I think... is A. 'Kelly's Blue' - a good foot or more wide. It's also one of KG's more interesting, with beautiful color, texture, and teeth. Here's mine currently blooming again this year. I lost track, but this could be the 3rd-5th time this year.
2017 12 03 Aloe Kelly's Blue a.jpg
2017 12 03 Aloe Kelly's Blue a.jpg (139.35 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
My Aloe 'Dracula's Blood' looks like it could be a fairly large sized aloe as well, although I wouldn't think it would be a great outdoor planting given it's pricey nature - at least not here where we get frost/freeze...
This one is blooming also, for the 2nd time this year since I got it. By the way, this one could definitely look much better with some sun, having seen some really nice coloration in photos.
2017 12 03 Aloe Dracula's Blood a.jpg
2017 12 03 Aloe Dracula's Blood a.jpg (101.95 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
Marlon Machado
Offset

Post by Marlon Machado »

Thank you Tom, no frost or freezing temperatures where I live, thus I can grow these plants outside all year. I have 'Kelly's Blue' but my plant is still small. Incidentally, it is flowering right now, as well as 'Sunset' and the unnammed hybrid I posted above. I am crossing the three together, in the hopes that I will get some nice progeny D))

I would like to have hybrids with good texture and color, but big enough to be planted in the ground. The sort of size of an Aloe striata or Aloe vera. I guess I have some hybridizing to do!
Various Aloe in flower being crossed
Various Aloe in flower being crossed
CAM00287b.jpg (96.49 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I think A. 'Kelly's Blue' X A. 'Sunrise' sounds like a winner. KB has very nice characteristics to contribute, and just FYI, everything I've crossed with A. 'Sunrise' I like a lot. I think Sunrise is a wonder-plant for further hybridizing. No doubt any seedlings you get from those 3 you have in bloom are going to be worthwhile.
Marlon Machado
Offset

Post by Marlon Machado »

Thanks Tom, I do have 'Sunrise' but it has not flowered for me yet. The larger three plants I have in flower, that I am crossing together are 'Sunset', 'Kelly's Blue' and my unnamed hybrid. 'Sunset' and 'Kelly's Blue' are very similar in shape, and more or less in color, but KB has more texture. The unnamed hybrid has a lot of texture in the form of ridges, but it is a green plant with some red in the marginal teeth and less so in the ridges. I would love to get a plant with the texture of the unnamed hybrid and the colors of 'Sunset' or KB. Fruit is already forming in all three plants. Lets see what the seedlings will look like!