aloe pepe

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

aloe pepe

Post Number:#1  Postby Agave_fan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:08 pm

My little aloe pepe sent up a bloom stalk and I have been anxiously waiting to play around with pollination with this little guy. I was even more excited to see a double branch bloom.

However, my excitement has diminished a bit seeing how tight these tiny little flowers stay. They basically show a little bit of anther/stamen before they shrivel up so harvesting pollen is possible but finding the stigma I give up on as I think I would destroy the flower even with the most delicate of brush and care. :cry:
pepe.jpg
pepe.jpg (85.41 KiB) Viewed 99 times
pepe bloom 2.jpg
pepe bloom 2.jpg (35.34 KiB) Viewed 99 times
pepe bloom.jpg
pepe bloom.jpg (23.03 KiB) Viewed 99 times

The blooms appear similar to the ones Geoff has posted under the Aloe haworthioides (i believe parentage to pepe) thread in the aloaceae gallery but seem even tighter in cluster.
Agave_fan
Offset

Re: aloe pepe

Post Number:#2  Postby Marlon Machado » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:12 pm

Yes 'Pepe' is a delightful miniature. Flowers are as tiny as the flowers of its parents (A. haworthioides and A. descoingsii). I was sucessful in pollinating 'Pepe' by carefully cutting the last third of the flower with a scapel. If you do this you will remove the anthers, the stigma lies in the center of the flower close to the ovary. After you cut the apex of the flower, the stigma will be visible and easier to access.
Marlon Machado
Bulbil

Post Number:#3  Postby Agave_fan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:24 pm

Marlon Machado wrote:Yes 'Pepe' is a delightful miniature. Flowers are as tiny as the flowers of its parents (A. haworthioides and A. descoingsii). I was sucessful in pollinating 'Pepe' by carefully cutting the last third of the flower with a scapel. If you do this you will remove the anthers, the stigma lies in the center of the flower close to the ovary. After you cut the apex of the flower, the stigma will be visible and easier to access.

Thanks Marlon! So when you say to cut the last 1/3 of the flower, you are cutting off the entire top/tip portion with a scalpel? You wouldn't happen to have any photos of your surgery would you? lol
Agave_fan
Offset

Post Number:#4  Postby Marlon Machado » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:15 pm

Yes, cutting off the entire tip of the flower. You must do this as soon as the flower opens, because then the stigma will still be far from the tip, and it will not be damaged. Sorry, no pictures. I advise you to first cut open one flower lengthwise in order to study how the organs are positioned inside the flower. Once you are familiar with the disposition of stigma and stamens you will be more confident at slicing the tip of the flower off at the right place :))
Marlon Machado
Bulbil

Post Number:#5  Postby Woodlily74 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 am

Great to know. Thanks Marlon. I have a few tiny aloe hybrids blooming now. I'm going to try your method.
Woodlily74
Offset

Previous topic Next topic

Return to Aloaceae Talk