Low temperature tolerance in specific dwarf/small aloes?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Low temperature tolerance in specific dwarf/small aloes?

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Howdy.

Have just moved most of my tabletop aloes indoors until the spring, but was thinking about trialing a few things outdoors this winter if it remains mild.

Have colonies in 9" clays of A. jucunda, A. pseudoparvula, A. antandroi and A. grandidentata that I would like to test until temps look like they'll be below 30 F/-1.1 C. Any warnings? Have duplicate sets of two of these spp in case they blow up, and assume A. pseudoparvula is probably the most at risk. Always leave my A. peglerae and A. polyphylla fully exposed and no dings...understand both spp. have a great deal of cold tolerance so have never been concerned about frost damage with them.

Thanks,

J
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Low temperature tolerance in specific dwarf/small aloes?

Post by Melt in the Sun »

The only one I grow is jucunda, and while I usually bring it inside, it has endured some surprise frost (maybe 30) without damage.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Aloe jucunda, like most of those plastic-like Somalian Aloes, is pretty cold intolerant, though it can survive 30F easily... but I would not let it go below 27F if possible. Mine survived 25F but it was in a pot right against the house, so that hardly counts. Aloe antandroi did fine at 28F, but keeled over in the heat of the following summer. Aloe grandidentata seems fine down to 20F so far so that is not a real concern for cold damage. Aloe pseudoparvula was fine at 26F, but I have not had it tested lower than that. Agree that Aloe peglarae is pretty hardy... mine does fine down to 20F yearly, but lost another one as 22F, so not sure I get why. Guess not all individuals are created equal.
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Thanks, Geoff. I'll keep these against the wall where they pick up a bit of benefit from a warm house.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

If Aloe jucunda is like Aloe dorothea and Aloe cameronii- small leaved form? Yep,they will die at a bay area 30f. 32F is bad enough to set them back a couple of years. 30 at our usual length of time at that range before sunrise? Melts those more tropical Aloes.
MY feeling is ..this is going to be a mild winter...but late December is our worst period usually- by far.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
johnbecker
Offset

Post by johnbecker »

Are there cameronii varieties that are more cold hardy than others? I do love the foliage but am not really down for plants that need to be nursed through the winter.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

The A.cameronii at UCBBG hardly resembles mine. There's is larger leafed and far more upright. If you see that offered for sale- snatch it up. Mine in this frost free winter is fine..now,only have to worry about rot because John- its more sensitive to winter wet also then most Aloe's. Its also been a slower grower then most. When I had it where the sun beat down off a house southwest facing wall,it turned super red and I hardly had to water it. So- the hotter the better,when again,most Aloes only ask for full sun.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Here a photo is better than a thousands words. But,sometimes I like saying a thousand words... :lol:
Why one is super red and the others not? I don't know.
Attachments
IMG_8261.JPG
IMG_8261.JPG (144.14 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
johnbecker
Offset

Post by johnbecker »

That's crazy how they're so different right next to each other. Mine is definitely this same variety--I've got it up against a south-facing fence and under plastic for these rain storms. Hopefully it'll keep on kicking and if not, well that was Mr. Darwin was on about.

BTW, thanks for sharing this picture if only for the oxalis solidarity. Good lord it's crazy out there.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Stan, are those 2 the same variety? One explanation is besides sun exposure, water stress might be an even bigger issue. It is possible for two of the exact same type even in close proximity to have different quality of root system due to a variety of issues. I remember reading advice a few years back on how to bring out the color in these, and that was by withholding water...
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I should check that out closer tomorrow- its late today. It might be on no roots...hence the rains are not meaning a thing. It could be a re root needy plant. Good thing John asked..I would have gone weeks never looking for this.
Its a tricky Aloe. If you have amended raised bed it might not seem like it,but just plant in the garden clay like any other Aloe..and its back to tricky.
Shmuel
Offset

Post by Shmuel »

I have a couple of A cameronii in the ground in heavy (terra rosa) soil. They are getting shaded by a Yucca that has grown large directly to their east. I do not water them at all. In stress of dry summer they turn a nice chocolate brown (still looking for a good red here in Israel). In the cold with winter rains - they green up and grow. Very slow for a few years, but now they are pupping and clumping like crazy. They have sat under snow at times without any damage, though maybe a frost (30F) will spot the leaves if they have not hardened off. My cmeronii in pots on a covered balcony with no winter sun (bad angle) turn deep chocolate. I don't water them in winter. From this I would think the key to color is dry. Actually the old saying "stress makes life colorful" applies here. (It is not such an old saying - I made it up about 7 seconds ago).

I suspect vegetative propagation of the same clone keeps the same cold tolerance. Then it depends on where the original was from. In Los Angeles the Pink Trumpet Tree Tabebuia impetiginosa was considered the tender one (the yellow T chrysostricha being more cold tolerat). Here at the Jerusalem Botanical Garden - zone 9a - they haveT impetiginosa that flourishes in spite of frosts and 1 or 2 yearly snows. I was surprised and the chief scientist told me they got the seed from the coldest part of the range. That could be the key with these Aloes, but good luck finding where they are actually from.

Regarding A peglarae, anyone grow it outdoors in winter rain areas? I am terrified of the cold wet heavy soil, but would love to put it out.

I had an A melanocantha that colored amazingly this winter. Till I realized that it was the death throes of rot. Alas.

Shmuel
Jerusalem zone 9b
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Schmuel:

I have an (underpotted) Aloe peglerae that has been on my deck in SF Bay Area for three years. It is in a 9”/23 cm clay bowl, rootbound in almost pure pumice. It looks as good as the best I’ve seen anywhere and is flowering sized at 14”/35 cm across. Winter rains combined with low temps don’t seem to faze it. For some reason is does develop the odd leaf spot with annoying regularity every year in the late spring...may be just a tiny bit of sunburn as angles change in the morning. I liquid feed it probably every two to three weeks during the growing season. Would not suggest this sp. for anything other than a sunny, very sharply drained spot.

Jay