another fantasy hybrid for identification

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Marlon Machado
Offset

another fantasy hybrid for identification

Post by Marlon Machado »

The plant below came to me without a name. It has an intense red/blue color, and looks like Christmas Carol, but I think it has too many white dots on the leaves. Two other possibilities are Rocco/Coral Edge and Donnie/Bright Star (from pictures at least, I find it very difficult to tell these two apart). What do you think?
SAM_8074.JPG
SAM_8074.JPG (91.95 KiB) Viewed 886 times
SAM_8077.JPG
SAM_8077.JPG (130.27 KiB) Viewed 886 times
SAM_8081.JPG
SAM_8081.JPG (102.51 KiB) Viewed 886 times
SAM_8082.JPG
SAM_8082.JPG (107.06 KiB) Viewed 886 times
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Re: another fantasy hybrid for identification

Post by Azuleja »

Agavemonger once explained the difference between "Coral Edge" and "Bright Star" in a different thread. I have one that's low pupping and about 5" across. He said he thought it was too big to be Bright Star and was probably Coral Edge. Mine are tough outdoors in summer heat and cold to mid 20s.

Agavemonger wrote: The two plants look very much alike, except that 'Coral Edge' is a much larger plant. (Well, let's say that 'Coral Edge' is a typical, average-sized Table-Top Aloe hybrid, while 'Bright Star' is a rather tiny and very prolific hybrid.) 'Coral Edge' has leaflets that are wider relative to their length, is also prolific (but not anywhere near as prolific as 'Bright Star'), and doesn't pup much until larger.

The Monger
Marlon Machado
Offset

Post by Marlon Machado »

Thank you Azuleja, mine must be Coral Edge then. I have another plant that I bought under the name Coral Edge, but it is not as big as the one I posted above, nor as colorful. I have another similar plant that I believe is Bright Star, it is indeed smaller and does pup a lot.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Thanks y'all. So, I guess that's the big and small of it. ::wink::
Shmuel
Offset

Post by Shmuel »

Sorry, I tried to fix a typo and ended up with a second posting. Is there a way to delete a double?

For my 2 cents - It looks just like my Donnie (which I rotted out this year :frown: ) and the pink-red flowers with white tips seems a match. Of course the only wat I know mine is Donnie is from the label.....

Shmuel
Jerusalem Zone 9b
Shmuel
Offset

Post by Shmuel »

For my 2 cents - It looks just like my Donnie (which I rotted out this year :frown: ) and the pink-red flowers with white tips seems a match. Of course the only way I know mine is Donnie is from the label.....

Shmuel
Jerusalem Zone 9b