Aloes blooms and whatever else I tossed in..

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Aloes blooms and whatever else I tossed in..

Post by Stan »

Went out- still seething with flu 10 days into it- and took pics.
Attachments
From one end to the other front yard.  A.americana- so striking,yet so weedy.
From one end to the other front yard. A.americana- so striking,yet so weedy.
IMG_8307.JPG (158.19 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Moonglow...glowing.
Moonglow...glowing.
IMG_8313.JPG (177.42 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Aloe 'California' I wish it had a heavier bloom,since what it has is nice.
Aloe 'California' I wish it had a heavier bloom,since what it has is nice.
IMG_8311.JPG (171.08 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
D.platyphylla also getting there.
D.platyphylla also getting there.
IMG_8310.JPG (162.93 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
A.vanbalenii in winter green.
A.vanbalenii in winter green.
IMG_8308.JPG (144.89 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
IMG_8309.JPG
IMG_8309.JPG (125.94 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Aloe vanbalenii slow road to a full bloom.
Aloe vanbalenii slow road to a full bloom.
IMG_8305.JPG (209.08 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
mickthecactus

Re: Aloes blooms and whatever else I tossed in..

Post by mickthecactus »

Thanks Stan. Good to see.
Bananaguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by Bananaguy »

Looks great love your garden! That variegated Americana is awesome!
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Thank you BG. The Agave though is destined to go...no longer fits. My last pruning left it looking like it had been cleaved in half!..It like all in that yard is leaning forward. It had its time.
Bananaguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by Bananaguy »

Would love to have it haha.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

For some reason, they are popular landscape plants around town here. Part of it is they are quite hardy, and for country property with space to fill, they're a good fit. This picture is one I took a few years ago up the road a bit - a whole long wall lined with them (about 20). Give them some room, and they become monsters. Lined up in a row, they make the wall behind almost redundant in terms of security considerations.
Agave Americana Marginata a X950 2010.jpg
Agave Americana Marginata a X950 2010.jpg (131.9 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I might go with the white dwarf version. "Marginata-medio picta"..types. Or the Octopus type I've seen much more at nursery's. The front yard has to be able to defend itself..and yet not go on the attack as this Agave and E.grandicornis did..and even Aloe marlothii until I moved it.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I guess MPA is a dwarf - but my circa 8 year old specimen out front in the ground now measures 4' high and 5' wide. It's getting to be a big "dwarf"... :lol: Also, I have found to keep it looking good, it needs a fungicide treatment at the onset of winter/rain season, otherwise they are apparently prone to getting some fungal/rot issues right at the seams of where white and blue meet at the center of leaves, and also at the seams where leaves exit from the central core. Not a big deal and a few minutes of precautionary spraying makes all the difference keeping one looking awesome. They look truly regal to me, and the leaf margins are also a big deterrent to unwelcome hands messing about with the garden - at least in proximity with the plant. Cleaning/trimming lowest dried leaves always leaves my hands torn up for a week or so... not to mention pulling pups out. That plant could probably be a blood donor for all the blood I've given it the last few years... :lol:
Bananaguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by Bananaguy »

Dang those are huge and very pretty!
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

So are these really A. americana variegata? It looks nothing like mine. Could be culture, but my medio-picta alba does look exactly like yours, Tom.
It is what it is!
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Well, there are those, and then there are others, and others yet again... :lol:

A few years ago, there was a question regarding the ID of this type above, and on the below linked thread discussion and photos of this and the others...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2716&p=8365" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think anyone to my satisfaction has come up with a convincing ID. Perhaps the mapisaga idea is worth consideration - but that doesn't explain how it is a rather quite different plant than the famous HBG A. mapisaga var. Lisa. Also, I have something which matches perfectly old posted photos on the NorthSouth Succulents website, that they refer to as A. salmiana var. Angustifolia. That plant is nothing again really like the one above - so the idea that A. salmiana var Angustifolia and A. mapisaga Variegata are the same thing goes into the garbage can as far as I'm concerned; they are in fact not the same as each other. Thirdly, there is an A. americana Marginata which I have and I'll bet is the same as yours. That's again different. Anyway, until I can get an ID for the one posted above, I'll call it what most do - A. americana Marginata, even though it's different from others which often go by the same name.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

If I pruned off every straight leaf and left only the folded bending leafs? It would look like a plant version of Mad Magazine's Don Martin cartoons of old. You know those people with folded or hinged feet as they walk?..then say things like "Freep!"..
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Regular A. mapisaga var. mapisaga at the DBG:
DSC_0077.JPG
DSC_0077.JPG (120.31 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
There is another one that looks even more like the big floppy plant in your pic, but it is really far from the path and mostly hidden behind other plants and trees, so really hard to get a picture of.
It is what it is!
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

It would be interesting to do a comprehensive comparison of the two: leaf length, width, thickness. Margins - teeth. Looking at the two pictures, they do look similar - but the awesome photo you added shows a plant with some floppy leaves, but nearly to the extent as the average variegate I see, which by and large features a preponderance of floppy leaves.

I suspect that that plant at least has much thicker leaves, based on the fact that the leaves appear sturdier (not as floppy).

Thanks for that photo. I just made a screen shot and added to my file for the variegated plants for purposes of further information. Regarding the similarity, that's probably the best evidence I've seen to date supporting that the variegated version is A. mapisaga, or at least related or a hybrid of.

That also prompted me to find this blog, via the picture of an A. mapisaga in bloom (you have to scroll down a ways - and not a very large photo) - in order to compare an inflorescence with the variegated version I have a photo of. They also look pretty similar.
http://www.panglobalplants.com/2005/12/ ... mber-2005/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is a photo I took of one of the variegates blooming
IMG_0765.JPG
IMG_0765.JPG (34.63 KiB) Viewed 1018 times