Aloe penduliflora red form

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.

Moderator: Geoff

Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Aloaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Geoff

Aloe penduliflora red form

Post by Geoff »

Aloe penduliflora in southern California

When first wrote about this plant was Aloe aageodonta, but after having it pointed out to me that it looks nothing like the Aloe aageodontas in Lavarnos book, I learned it was another form of Aloe penduliflora.

This is an excellent shrubby Kenyan aloe for southern California with a height of about 3'-4' and leaves of a pale to almost bluish green. It seems quite adaptable, to both partial shade and full sun. No problem yet with cold (though not be really tested) down to 29F. Flowers in mid to late fall up to late winter (seems to vary, and sometimes will flower more than once in a season). Flowers start out multicolored with green tips and dark,orangy-brown perianths, but becomes more brightly red-orange as they age. Had some flowers come out right out of the stem- no stalk- but suspect anomaly and not a normal behavior. Inflorescence multibranched and racemes somewhat spherical to head-shaped. Flowers tend to last a long time in this species (up to a month or more).

Extremely easy to grow as a cutting and quick to mature (two to three years from a cutting at least). Appreciates water year round. Rare in cultivation (mine is the only one I know of in California, but I am sure there are others- none in the botanical gardens).
early flowers in December
early flowers in December
Aloe aageodonta early flowers close 12-12.jpg (99.46 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
relatively young plant, southern California, just several years after single, mail order cutting planted in ground
relatively young plant, southern California, just several years after single, mail order cutting planted in ground
Aloe aageodonta 8-11.JPG (198.41 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
Geoff

Re: Aloe aageodonta

Post by Geoff »

Mature flowers in late December, southern California
flower close up in December
flower close up in December
Aloe aageodonta floral details 2-13.jpg (101.65 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
mature flowers
mature flowers
Aloe aageodonta flowers 2-13.jpg (109.25 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
Geoff

Re: Aloe aageodonta

Post by Geoff »

Flowers at end of their cycle, late winter (February) southern California
end of flowering season, February, southern California
end of flowering season, February, southern California
Aloe aageodonta in full flower once more 2-13.jpg (160.55 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
Aloe aageodonta flowers good shot 2-13 end.jpg
Aloe aageodonta flowers good shot 2-13 end.jpg (131.5 KiB) Viewed 2208 times