Aloe alexandrei

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.

Moderator: Geoff

Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Aloaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Geoff

Aloe alexandrei

Post by Geoff »

Rare species of tree aloe from Madagascar. Pretty fast growing. Was originally in the genus Lomatophyllym (all which are now in Aloe). Only seen one which I had in my collection for several years until I rotted it in winter from overhead watering and lack of sunlight. One of the larger and more beautiful of the 'Lomatophyllum' type aloes, but like most of them, a bit tricky to grow in a marginal climate (most tend to be very cold sensitive and demand to handled carefully). Until recently, Lomatophyllum was a separate genus from Aloe, but has since been lumped into Aloe. All Lomatophyllum are from Madagascar or surrounding islands (as far as I know).
showing snail damage
showing snail damage
Aloe alexandrei snail damage and color change 2-10.JPG (185.83 KiB) Viewed 5240 times
Aloe alexandrae 6-09 summer.JPG
Aloe alexandrae 6-09 summer.JPG (180.9 KiB) Viewed 5240 times
aldannyoe
Bulbil

Re: Aloe alexandrei

Post by aldannyoe »

Awesome tree aloe. Grows on black lava rock so its been difficult to provide proper heat in winter.
Attachments
FB985148-5345-4445-8AFF-8AFB2C1FD20A.jpeg
FB985148-5345-4445-8AFF-8AFB2C1FD20A.jpeg (414.44 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
E799B304-8828-4799-AF04-701CBDD3DE28.jpeg
E799B304-8828-4799-AF04-701CBDD3DE28.jpeg (392.85 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

I lost this one two winters ago. It seems pretty tropical to me...
eremophila
Bulbil

Post by eremophila »

Flowering in Tucson, March 2022. Seems fond of heat but have to keep it potted to move when it freezes. Rather vigorous, it roots into the ground through the pot every summer. Lives in bright shade in summer, half day sun in winter.
Attachments
Aloe alexandrei
Aloe alexandrei
IMG_4848.jpeg (393.99 KiB) Viewed 888 times
Aloe alexandrei
Aloe alexandrei
IMG_4847.jpeg (700.41 KiB) Viewed 888 times
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Really interesting. I like the Lomatophyllums but can’t quite understand why they have been absorbed into Aloe when you have Gonialoe, Aloidendron, Kumara etc.
eremophila
Bulbil

Post by eremophila »

mickthecactus wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:24 pm Really interesting. I like the Lomatophyllums but can’t quite understand why they have been absorbed into Aloe when you have Gonialoe, Aloidendron, Kumara etc.
Genetics mostly. Lomatophyllum was created based on visible, superficial traits (the berried fruit), but all those other genera are rooted in DNA testing. The berries are only a modification in seed dispersal and otherwise the group fits snugly within Aloe.
If we ever abandon DNA in taxonomy and revert back to only morphology, then we could possibly get Lomatophyllum reinstated and toss aside Aristaloe, Gonialoe and the rest! But, somehow I don’t see that happening.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

The thing is being an older grower I grew up with just morphology, the extreme example being Backeberg describing a cactus from a train (never sure if that’s really a true story).
I can’t agree that a berry as opposed to a dried fruit is not that important plus some Lomatophyllums e.g. sakarahensis and citrea look nothing like Aloes as we know them.
eremophila
Bulbil

Post by eremophila »

I started growing aloes in the late 90s and also grew my hobby with only morphology to rely upon. While I generally accept the newer ways of taxonomy, perhaps with a grain of salt, I don’t necessarily run out to change my labels and in some cases do dismiss the lumping and splitting of things, like Rosemary now being included in Lavender. At the end of the day, I’m a gardener, not a botanist. :D
As to the Lomatophyllum, they are an interesting tribe and I appreciate those who still refer to them as such. Someone once told me that any name ever published isn’t invalidated by a new name, it’s simply outdated. It’s up to the grower to decide whether to keep up with modern taxonomy or be at peace with maintaining the names we started out with. :)
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Rosemary included in lavender? Blimey.

All Stapeliads being transferred to Ceropegia sank like a stone of course.