Aloe arborescens variegated (aka 'Goldrush')

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.

Moderator: Geoff

Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Aloaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Geoff

Aloe arborescens variegated (aka 'Goldrush')

Post by Geoff »

private garden, Vista California
private garden, Vista California
Aloe arborescens variegated Bob.JPG (197.64 KiB) Viewed 7931 times
at a nursery in San Fernando Valley proving this form can flower
at a nursery in San Fernando Valley proving this form can flower
aloe arborescens variegated in flower.JPG (223.1 KiB) Viewed 7931 times
There are many variegated examples of aloes, but this one is so commonly available it is often seen at non-specialty nurseries (even Home Depot). Never seems quite as robust as the regular form and sometimes gets a bit stressed in hot sun in California (maybe more so in Arizona?).
Geoff

Re: Aloe arborescens variegated

Post by Geoff »

Aloe arborescens variegated Sternberg.jpg
Aloe arborescens variegated Sternberg.jpg (200.99 KiB) Viewed 7931 times
Aloe arborescens goldrush H 1.JPG
Aloe arborescens goldrush H 1.JPG (170 KiB) Viewed 7931 times
ONe name given to this variety of variegated Aloe arborescens is Aloe arborescens Gold Rush
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Aloe arborescens variegated.JPG
Aloe arborescens variegated.JPG (233.52 KiB) Viewed 7931 times
Aloe arborescens varieg H again.jpg
Aloe arborescens varieg H again.jpg (162.51 KiB) Viewed 7931 times
GreekDesert
Ready to Bolt

Post by GreekDesert »

Aloe arborescens variegated
Attachments
variegated Aloe arborescens.jpg
variegated Aloe arborescens.jpg (92.04 KiB) Viewed 7926 times
Geoff

Re: Aloe arborescens variegated (aka 'Goldrush')

Post by Geoff »

Aloe arbrescens variegated in flower Dec H 14.jpg
Aloe arbrescens variegated in flower Dec H 14.jpg (154.72 KiB) Viewed 7819 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Photo taken today. This is a slow growing Aloe. I haven't hit on the right key yet. Maybe it needs more water or some fertilizer?
With lizard.
Attachments
IMG_2224.jpg
IMG_2224.jpg (163.95 KiB) Viewed 7726 times
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Stan, I don't know if water is the issue, but I water mine every day, and the plant loves it! At this time of year, as long as the weather supports it, I think they'll take all the water you want to give it. Conversely, the very wet Dec we had at the end of last year, with cool days, was no good at all. My big one had leaves all the way to the bottom of the stem, after being water-logged for a week, the lower leaves developed brown spots, and eventually turned completely brown and dried up. With no end in sight to the rain at the time, and no room to move it to shelter, I made a plastic skirt around the stem covering the pot, and the deterioration ceased. The likely fungal condition never made it to the upper rosette, and with plenty of new leaves now as well, the upper rosette looks awesome, and the upside of the experience is now the stem is pushing out lots of pups.

The other thing I want to mention is you have to expect the variegated plants to grow slower. The more variegation, the less chlorophyll, the less photosynthesis, the slower it grows. Yours is a great looking plant, lots of variegation, but will be a relatively slow grower as a result. But, like the saying "fine wine takes time", your fine plant will take time, but will be more and more of a stunner the bigger it gets.

So, more water might help yours out, but it's going to be relatively slow growing compared to a regular arborescens anyway.

Here's some of the pups on mine, one is very unusual; not just because it's all yellow, but because the leaves are very short and triangular compared to the other pups. I have no idea if it will keep that form, but it'll be interesting to watch it grow. Unless I see some green on it as it grows, I'll probably have to leave it attached to Mom.
2015 08 22 Aloe arborescens Var pups a X750.jpg
2015 08 22 Aloe arborescens Var pups a X750.jpg (137.39 KiB) Viewed 7722 times
A final comment on the current culture mine gets...when I got it, I kept it in a relatively full sun location, but I wasn't altogether thrilled with it's appearance. At the beginning of the year, it got moved to where it's got full sun until about noon, and filtered light through trees afterwards as the sun moves West. It's looking like all I could hope for now, really nice.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Nice comeback Spine. Sometimes you get once chance at moving almost any plant..moving it again is bad news.

I'm thinking in the future it might end up potted. That's a chance. They also are another Aloe that hate foot traffic..that's my fault with the broken leafs. Just raking and walking around.
Really,who would have guessed that the variegated would be so slow,delicate, when the plain is a garden standard?
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Same plant potted up over a year ago.
Attachments
IMG_7196.JPG
IMG_7196.JPG (118.34 KiB) Viewed 7182 times
Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Post by Xanthoria »

Mine is flowering right now. Waiting for those lower branches to get a bit higher but it’s growing well here near the coast.
7308FCBD-A78C-46F8-9DDF-07D469E7E3A0.jpeg
7308FCBD-A78C-46F8-9DDF-07D469E7E3A0.jpeg (419.21 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Mine in spike still. Not as much sun as the others and still in that same pot and same soils since 2015. Xanthoria all is looking ..splendid,cheerful even. I like it.
Andrew in Germany
Seedling

Post by Andrew in Germany »

A. Arborescens variegated
A. Arborescens variegated
4EDF7CD4-0C08-49A5-8B3E-77AE6BE5332C.jpeg (491.63 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
AF6660E2-6BEC-498C-B751-7F445ADAF68F.jpeg
AF6660E2-6BEC-498C-B751-7F445ADAF68F.jpeg (981.69 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
Grown in a pot it flowered for a few years, always starting in October/November just in time for its winter stash in the cold greenhouse. I left it out in the winter of 22-23 against a south facing wall, covered in towels, tarps and so on. It survived, but only just. It’s a small relic of its former glory. We had low temps of around -7c several times and very little sun. Cold, wet and dull. Pity, but it was so heavy I couldn’t move it anymore..
RCDS66
Offset
USDA Zone: 9B

Post by RCDS66 »

Andrew in Germany, the big plant in the pot in second pic is absolutely stunning. I am not sure if one can come across a better grown specimen in a pot. Was this photo taken before the sever winters that you mentioned?