Echinopsis terschekii ( green)..

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Cacti genera too plentiful to enumerate. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: mcvansoest

Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Echinopsis terschekii ( green)..

Post by Stan »

Get it? Shecky Green? Ok..nevermind. Another of my bucket list plants scratched off the list. I ALWAYS wanted this since I started. When I saw this today at Orchard for $49..plus 20% off= $39...I jumped. Its great that as dry tropics as this looks..no amount of cold in the history of the bay area will bother it.
Now,where to plant it?
Attachments
IMG_6661.JPG
IMG_6661.JPG (206.01 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Re: Echinopsis terschekii ( green)..

Post by Agavemonger »

Big Plant---Give it plenty of room and plenty of sun! ::wink::

The Monger
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Thanks!.. I heard these can grow over a foot a year in ground. At this point in my life..its still a good chance to see it make a statement up and down the street. Once it gets above the 5' hedges EVERYBODY will see it.
Its why plants like this are planted- :lol:
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Yes, a big plant, but a great plant. I got one at 3-4' barefoot from the DBG a few years back. Most expensive plant I ever bought at ~$200, but got 20% off, so $160 in the end.
Mine is in the ground and after a year of acclimatization (especially to the summer heat and sun) it has started growing, it is going 9-10 feet and has 3 well developed arms, with another couple of arms trying to get started. It has made incipient flower buds, but did not continue developing those, so will have to wait for flowering some time longer.

Once, no, twice my plant has had some kind of growth tip rot, I am not sure how or why, but it did not really set my plant back much, but I noticed recently that the big plants at the DBG must have had the same thing happen and in those plants essentially it looked like the complete top of all the arms and main trunk had been sheared off horizontally... I associate the occurrence of this with high humidity, not necessarily with cold - the first time it happened it was during our monsoon. It may also have coincided with some damage from a bird. I think the second time happened in October/November of last year.

They do indeed grow fast. I have both a Saguaro, a couple of Cardons and this puppy in the ground, planted about a year apart, starting at ~1.5 feet on the Saguaro, 2 feet on the Cardons and 3-4 feet on the terscheckii. The Saguaro is the slowest, but faster than you might think, then the Cardon, which still grows pretty quickly and the speedster is definitely the terscheckii. During Christmas I usually decorate the cacti with Christmas lights, but to do that to the terscheckii I now need a tall ladder and I really do not have much space to deploy it, so not sure what I will do this coming Christmas.

Here is picture of the plant in my yard from February of this year:
IMG_0431.jpg
IMG_0431.jpg (110.55 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
It is the tall one in the center, the effect of the rot is visible at the top and about halfway down, it made the main trunk a bit narrower but the growth kept on going and the spot became the location for arm development. The third arm is on the back side of the plant at the same level as the lower arm.

To the right is a Trichocereus tacaquirensis which is finally starting on a whole bunch of basal arms.
One of the Cardons is visible in the background on the far right, while the Saguaro is visible behind the O. cochenilifera between the terscheckii and the tacaquirensis
It is what it is!
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Looks great. Growing arms already and the rest is what I'm looking forward too. I have potted Pachycereus..and here,its a very long wait. But,Ive been told that even here in the cool B.A. E.terschekii can add height fast. Cardoons- all of the big cacti are very rare here in anybodys yard. I've only seen one. It stood out. :shock:

Correction- I did see Inga Hoffman's from outside her yard driving by. She had the ones with white dense spines. What I've seen in Atacama desert photos.
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Post by SC FM »

Stan, that is a beautiful specimen. I would love to have one. I have been watching Lowe's and hoping to find one. I did find a little one that said Trichoocereus hybrid, but no named species. I have a couple of nice hardy huascas that have beautiful red blooms planted out in my Xeriscpe. It would be great to have a terschekii. I talked to a guy at the SE Palm Society meeting that said he has a terschekii with several feet of growth outside in North Carolina. This is encouraging. I will continue to check Lowe's .from time to time. So many cacti at Lowes have no labels as to genus or species and some with just genus. I wish the propagators of these plants, whom I understand are in Canada, would list all by Genus and species, because most of us are not thoroughly schooled as to the Genus of many by just looking at the plant. Thanks for posting the picture of your nice plant. Here is a picture form last summer of my Trichocereus. They have grown considerable this year. Sorry I do not have a recent pic.
Attachments
DSC03684.JPG
DSC03684.JPG (97.44 KiB) Viewed 2386 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Looks beautiful..and your doing it in Canada?
I planted mine out. You can see it fattened up on a month of me watering. This one SC is in Fremont. You can see where it was a smaller plant originally then mine when it went into the ground. Not just much taller- but big gain in girth.
Attachments
In Fremont ca.
In Fremont ca.
IMG_7187.JPG (164.22 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
Mine- I get a kick every time I look at it. Screams Arizona Highways and Saguaro's. Good - great- memory's.
Mine- I get a kick every time I look at it. Screams Arizona Highways and Saguaro's. Good - great- memory's.
IMG_7172.JPG (163.08 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Post by SC FM »

No Stan, I am in Upstate SC. south 'Cakalaka".
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

SC FM wrote:No Stan, I am in Upstate SC. south 'Cakalaka".
Oop,My mistake. Hey,South Carolina can grow plenty of Echinopsis. Depending on how much you want to put into it,Even the giant cacti like Pachycereus pringlei should enjoy it there in very fast draining mix and some winter protection. After all,it does grow near the ocean in Baja so can take warm humid air.
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Post by SC FM »

I ordered a small Echinopsis terschekii(Trichocereus) yesterday off the net. I put in all the info, but got no confirmation. I will wait and see. IT was only 7 dollars and change for a tiny one, very affordable. I have wanted one of this species for a long time. I will baby it for a few years in pots and then if winters continue warm I will plant in a protected spot near the other Trichocereus I have. My two T. huascas are very healthy and now a foot or more tall and nice and fat. I have a third columnar Trichocereus but I do not know the species. I did plant it in ground. I found it at Lowe's for less than 4 dollars.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Its your best bet for a giant Cactus species. I know on hardy palms board there was a photo of one- huge- in 8b Texas. Just make sure if you ever plant it in ground..its the dry sunniest spot you can find.
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Obviously, you do not want to put too small a plant in the ground, but the sooner you can get it 'ground ready' the better. These things make big root systems and in a pot they often get root bound and that really limits their development.

I have a 10 footer with arms and what started out as a 3 footer earlier this year that is now a 4+ footer, it put on a good growth spurt during the monsoon. Both my Cardons and Saguara have grown quite a bit too so far this year, but nothing like the growing the Terscheckiis have done.

I think Stan gives solid advice on the dry/sunny spot, but when it is warm these actually will take a good amount of water and be perfectly happy. Keep as dry as possible during the winter.
It is what it is!
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Post by SC FM »

The order I tried to send apparently failed as I never got the plant. and nothing on the bill. Maybe I will try again next spring. I do want a Traichocereus terschekii very badly, but can not afford a large one.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

SC FM wrote:The order I tried to send apparently failed as I never got the plant. and nothing on the bill. Maybe I will try again next spring. I do want a Traichocereus terschekii very badly, but can not afford a large one.
I got mine at Orchard Supply. Sometimes you can ask those big box stores to order something. With this,it might be in summer. OS,btw, had like 5 of these..last I was there all were gone. You cant have too many of the big cactus.
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

SC FM wrote:The order I tried to send apparently failed as I never got the plant. and nothing on the bill. Maybe I will try again next spring. I do want a Traichocereus terschekii very badly, but can not afford a large one.
I came across these during a nursery and botanical garden visit yesterday:
IMG_1214.JPG
IMG_1214.JPG (141.2 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
IMG_1211.jpg
IMG_1211.jpg (156.58 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
I will probably be back at both these places later this month, I'd be willing to get one for you and ship it at cost. 1st picture are 1 gallon pots, the 2nd pic 3-4' or so. Those in the first pic would be pretty weighty. In the right conditions these will grow pretty quick.
It is what it is!
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Here is a pic of my biggie taken a couple of months ago alongside some compadres in a south facing bed in front of the house wall - for scale he is 15ft high. The darker section, about 6ft or so, is what is has grown in the 14 years since planting - so he was pretty big to start with.
newcactus3.jpg
newcactus3.jpg (131.42 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Very nice! Surprised at no arms yet for that size, but given its proximity to the house you might not want arms to develop. The other cacti look very good too.

They have a whole bunch of exceptional specimens at Boyce Thompson Arboretum. One had flowers open - I will post pictures when I get them off my camera - those flowers where pretty big.
It is what it is!
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Thats some great UK growth. The orange Pasacana's are choice too. Mine I put in a spot that right now isnt as sunny as I like...but as the cactus gets height it will get more and more light until it gets fence(6") tall...then it will be in full sun.
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Here are some pics I took last Wednesday at Boyce Thompson Arboretum, they have a nice little Terscheckii cluster there along the main trail. One had a couple of open flowers, they were huge!
DSC_0093.JPG
DSC_0093.JPG (135.14 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
DSC_0094.JPG
DSC_0094.JPG (104.15 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
DSC_0097.JPG
DSC_0097.JPG (138.54 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
It is what it is!
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

They are magnificent beasts. I am also surprised mine has no arms yet. 'Visually' I think it would be good to fill up some space as such a large single column looks a bit lonely. The two large pasacana are more recent additions - the left one 2 years ago the tethered one this year. Both at no cost from people who no longer had glasshouse space to keep them. Tricky to move but worth the effort.

I have some loose plans to see all these in habitat in Argentina some time.
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Paul S wrote:I have some loose plans to see all these in habitat in Argentina some time.
Same here, but then I haven't even been to Mexico yet on a plant tour (I have been for other reasons in my pre- cactus and agave obsession days), so we'll see if/when that happens.
I will say that given the huge difference in overall appearance and health, between the ones at BTA and those at the Desert Botanical Garden, that these might be borderline for the hot low desert summers here. The growth tip rot issue I described a previous post seems to have not occurred (yet) this year, but it is obviously not a wet and cold issue... I will have to get some pictures of the ones at the DBG to show off how badly affected they appear to have been with that.

Here is a picture of a Prickly Pear passenger on one of those giants, either seed or a pad must have blown into that area (or if seed put there by a bird):
DSC_0125.JPG
DSC_0125.JPG (123.77 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
It is what it is!