Opuntia species for Nopales?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Cacti genera too plentiful to enumerate. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: mcvansoest

SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Opuntia species for Nopales?

Post by SC FM »

I read about Nopales and it always says ,Opuntia Ficus-indica are used. What other species of platyopuntia pad can be used for Nopales? I love to et them and I just was wondering if the hardier types of juvenile pads of Opuntia could be used?
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Re: Opuntia species for Nopales?

Post by mcvansoest »

I do not actually know, but I think it is not just O. f-i that is edible (that is what I can glean from some of the entries that pop up when googling it), most other Opuntias are (not the chollas though), but O. f-i is usually used because it is easy to cultivate as it grows fast, has large pads, grows big, and is mostly spineless - so very little to clean.
It is what it is!
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Post by SC FM »

You could be right. I have a planting of Opuntia cacanapa 'ellisiana' a thornless type. I think I read somewhere that it was edible; if so, it would be easier to clean. I can see where wome of the species would be real 'boogers' to clean!
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Yeah that definitely would be hard to clean - it is incredible that some of the wildlife here - especially the javelinas just chomp right through those spiny plants...
It is what it is!
Peterthecactusguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

While there has been a lot of research done on O. ficus-indica it is not the only edible species. I do want to remind anyone that is wanting to try Opuntia pads, that there are many different chemicals that Opuntia makes. a few even have Mescaline in them in small amounts. This being said there are other possible problems with eating Opuntia, some contain an acid so they must be cooked instead of eaten raw. What all this means is to be careful and do research. Generally a few are considered safe... O. engelmannii and O. ficus-indica. I would still cook them both.. :)