bared or banded columnar

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Cacti genera too plentiful to enumerate. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: mcvansoest

abborean
Ready to Bolt

bared or banded columnar

Post by abborean »

Got these from a friend that had them in his family for a few generations. The old growth has a completely different growth habit from the new which I'm growing outside. I know it's tough without a flower but was curious about an ID. Never saw a barred columnar in my limited cactus experience but it may be a common trait to ya'll. Thanks for looking.
Don
Attachments
barred columnar.jpg
barred columnar.jpg (229.91 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: bared or banded columnar

Post by Spination »

I'm not saying this is what it is, but I had something similar (still do, but had to do a shortening procedure on it due to rot) that I got as "Peruvian Apple Pear Cactus"......
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Don,

I got the two cuttings you sent me and having looked at them I agree with Spiny that it looks a lot like some kind of Cereus, but not quite sure which one (the taxonomy is rather muddled to begin with), and I while I have seen many that have those 'bands' as actual features of the shape of the plant (sorry I am tired and cannot find better words to describe what I mean), I have so far not seen any that actually have strong color banding as well. I have them under 50% shade cloth trying to get them rooted, but it will be interesting to see what happens to them as they adjust to the VOTS climate and more sun.
It is what it is!
abborean
Ready to Bolt

Post by abborean »

these were house plants before I got them and looked like the "trunk" in the lower left of the pic. Would appreciate seeing what they eventually look like in the VOTS. Thanks