ID Please

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Cacti genera too plentiful to enumerate. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: mcvansoest

Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

ID Please

Post by Jkwinston »

Hello, what is this? Jkw
264ss.jpg
264ss.jpg (187.88 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
265ss.jpg
265ss.jpg (213.43 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Re: ID Please

Post by mcvansoest »

I think this may be some kind of Stenocereus, I cannot see enough detail on the stem/flower to get to more than that.

In habitat? If so, where?
It is what it is!
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

mcvansoest wrote:I think this may be some kind of Stenocereus, I cannot see enough detail on the stem/flower to get to more than that.

In habitat? If so, where?
Thanks Thijs. Not genuine habitat, but Mexico City University Botanical Garden, UNAM for short. There were two species on show, the other looked more like Echinopsis (looks different now). I will look for another photo. Yes, there was a different in width, although the flowers were somewhat similar. Jkw
269ss.jpg
269ss.jpg (99.99 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
271ss.jpg
271ss.jpg (85.67 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Yeah that makes me doubt my sense of a Stenocereus some. There are a few with flowers that might fit, but unfortunately there are a whole bunch of them without good flower pictures.

It would seem that flowers are too small for some kind of Cereus, I'd almost say that of Echinopsis/Trichocereus as well. Echinopsis/Trichocereus plants of that size tend to have flowers that are way bigger than that.

Another thing that I thought of was a Polaskia, but I had never seen flowers of those. Just checked and there are some similarities with P. chende.
It is what it is!
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Thanks Thijs, and I think you may be right about Polaskia chende. I grow pachanoi and peruvians, and they are straight up cactus form, and they do not sprawl the way these plants do. Also the flowers are more pure white, and larger. The only alternative is a hybrid, and since they were so many of them, I doubt it. I will have a deeper search on the internet. Thanks a lot. Jkw
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

I visited UNAM a couple of years ago. Some unbelievably nice specimens there but, boy, are the labels bad! You would have hoped that the premier botanical institute in Mexico would be all over the correct names but they were a shambles.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Thijs, I have just found some other photos which could point again to Polaskia, and there is even a label to confirm these. See if you think that they are similar to the other plants in the first post. These were taken in the same garden. Jkw
138s.jpg
138s.jpg (110.08 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
139s.jpg
139s.jpg (206.94 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
140s.jpg
140s.jpg (125.85 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
141s.jpg
141s.jpg (158.59 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Winston,

I was going to say that that looked like its close relative Polaskia chichipe and then got to your picture of the sign confirming my sense. I have both these plants, but my Chende is still very small and these definitely look different when small compared to young. My Chichipe is starting to develop the mature look. No flowers on either yet. I think the flowers on the plant in the original picture with the green bases fits Chende better than any of the Stenocerei that I have found that have similar looking flowers, but for both Polaskias the overall look of the flowers resembles many of the Stenocerei's flowers closely.

I am not 100% sure, but I think P. chende is the most obvious choice for the ID of the plant in the OP.
It is what it is!
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Thanks a lot Thijs, for all that work. As you must guess, these species are very new to me. Although those photos were taken years ago, I am only now trying to connect the dots. As it is garden that belongs to the UNAM's Botany Department, they are always short on labels, but I do love the surprise element of the place, Have a look at one of my favourites below. Thanks again Jkw
Fouquieria purpusii
Fouquieria purpusii
IMG_4186s.jpg (127.69 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Paul S wrote:I visited UNAM a couple of years ago. Some unbelievably nice specimens there but, boy, are the labels bad! You would have hoped that the premier botanical institute in Mexico would be all over the correct names but they were a shambles.
Paul, I always make the best of any bad situation. When I visit Mexico City, I do the tourist bit, and this was the best example of plants that I have ever come across in the city. Since I do not do the habitat tour, I can deal with it. Jkw
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Winston, I don't understand your post, sorry.

Here is a page of pics from when I visited 3 years ago.

http://www.oasisdesigns.co.uk/Mexicoweb14/15th.htm

Said to be one of the oldest universities in the world!
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Paul S wrote:Winston, I don't understand your post, sorry.

Here is a page of pics from when I visited 3 years ago.

http://www.oasisdesigns.co.uk/Mexicoweb14/15th.htm

Said to be one of the oldest universities in the world!

Have you ever visited their Art Gallery? If you did, you would be impressed because the Art Gallery is a prestige project icon created for Mexico City. The BG is not; it is just an extension of the Department of Botany. In any institution, there will always be a pecking order, which decides how they spend their money. Jkw
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Winston, you seem very defensive and I don't understand why. I made a criticism of the labeling at the botanical gardens, based upon what I saw there, but not of you or your observations.