ID please

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Cacti genera too plentiful to enumerate. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: mcvansoest

zpunout
Offset

ID please

Post by zpunout »

Hi all. I became interested in this cactus after it surprised me with some really nice flowers the other day. After looking in the gallery, I'm guessing it could be an Echinopsis of some kind.
I'm in the southern hemisphere so it flowered at the start of summer.
Cheers,
Shane
Plant after flowering
Plant after flowering
DSC_0426.JPG (118.55 KiB) Viewed 908 times
Single flower
Single flower
DSC_0388.JPG (61.64 KiB) Viewed 908 times
Multiple flowers
Multiple flowers
IMG_20171209_065408.jpg (64.14 KiB) Viewed 908 times
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Re: ID please

Post by Luc »

This needs to be confirmed but yes it looks like Echinopsis oxygona. I get one like this, it is a very easy to grow cactus which can have 15/20 flowers in the same time.
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

I think Luc has the correct ID, though with these plants there are so many hybrids around with very similar looks and flower colors that unless it came with a 'hard' ID it is difficult to be absolutely certain.
It is what it is!
zpunout
Offset

Post by zpunout »

Thank you both for your replies.

I was originally wondering whether it was worthwhile adding these images to the gallery after identification. Should I?

The plant was accidentally acquired at a house I was working at when a small piece the size of my thumb nail stuck to a cover sheet while painting a wall. Several months later, I pulled it off the sheet and stuck it in a pot and it grew. Hence why I have no idea of its origin.