Agaves from seed

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Re: Agaves from seed

Post by Agavemonger »

Best bet for very young seedlings would be to protect them indoors, or at least in a small greenhouse, until substantially larger. Not only do they need to develop a larger and more mature root system, they also need more and larger leaves. Even more importantly, as GeeS pointed out with the bulbil example, they need to become denser and hardened.

Keith and Greg do a great job with their plants. They keep their seedling plants crowded in 4" pots or 6-pack, ground-cover type trays outdoors in shade houses until they are larger. This allows them to develop an established, thicker root system and progressively larger, hardened leaves before they have to suffer the trauma of being divided and transplanted into larger pots. They are also hardened to the vagaries of the temperature ranges outdoors. Naturally, this takes more time!

You could also "force" seedlings in heated greenhouses until they become large enough to at least fill a 4" pot, then move them outdoors into shade to finish hardening in the spring once over-night lows move consistently into the fifties. Of course, these delicate plants need constant monitoring; a couple of days of excessive drying out or "too bright" conditions and the plants will be "heading south" in a real hurry! :red:

The Monger
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

My small experience suggests that small plants that have survived outside, such as pups and bulbils, can be brought in, pampered for a while, then returned to the great outdoors without issue. We might want to do that for bulbils discovered in late autumn, in order to encourage root growth, as an example. But seedlings germinated and raised inside are not so easily transitioned. All of a sudden, they must cope with wild temperature fluctuations and desiccation. My seedlings have never experienced temp variations of more than 5°F, and they certainly aren't equipped with the necessary plumbing (root system and vascular network) to handle even spring temps and humidity, let alone summer. I may try a few outdoors in spring under tight control to see if it toughens them up a bit, but we'll see how that goes. The first thing they must do is start growing thicker leaves, which they will as they continue to age.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Here are a couple 13-month old seedling shots of select specimens separated from the crowd. For size reference, the smaller container is 4" × 2". It's so much fun watching them separate and become more and more distinct as they grow. I have a few of them outside now, and will rotate in and out as conditions dictate, until summer when I'm sure I'll need to keep them all indoors. In the meantime, I figure a little outdoor exposure can only help toughen them up. Outdoor seedlings are in an old refrigerator drawer in a cozy locale that sees about 3-4 hours of afternoon sun.

My favorites so far are the utahensis from Aquarius. Not the biggest, but the most leaves and first to form cohesive rosettes.

IDs for Pic 1:
A. desmettiana × pelona, A. deserti, A. sobria 'Turtle Teeth'
A. utahensis, A. 'Celsii Nova', A. yavapaiensis, A. pelona
seedlings outside 009.JPG
seedlings outside 009.JPG (87.56 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
seedlings outside 001.JPG
seedlings outside 001.JPG (76.68 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
Outdoor seedlings
Outdoor seedlings
seedlings outside 012.JPG (90.44 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Way to go; fun!
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Very Nice!

When is your shade-house going up? D))

The Monger
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Space is going to be a problem, isn't it? So far so good, but not for long...
Agave

Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Better convert the Observatory, or put some steps up onto the roof! D))

The Monger
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Coming along, now at 16 months. Here are a few examples. For reference the smaller container is 4"× 2". White splotches are just water stains. We have:

A. chrysantha / A. utahensis / A. 'Celsii Nova' / A. verdensisis
A. desmettiana × A. pelona / A. stricta / A. sobria 'Turtle Teeth'
seedlings 001.JPG
seedlings 001.JPG (83.02 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
seedlings 012.JPG
seedlings 012.JPG (89.37 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
A. 'Celsii Nova' / A. verdensisis
A. 'Celsii Nova' / A. verdensisis
seedlings 004.JPG (54.9 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
A. chrysantha / A. utahensis
A. chrysantha / A. utahensis
seedlings 006.JPG (60.79 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
A. sobria 'Turtle Teeth'
A. sobria 'Turtle Teeth'
seedlings 009.JPG (87.69 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
A. desmettiana × A. pelona / A. stricta
A. desmettiana × A. pelona / A. stricta
seedlings 010.JPG (71.68 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
Agave

Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

They look very nice. Seedling update photos are always interesting and welcome. I like the little deep pots you use too.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Here are a few seedlings from my starter tray, none older than seven months.
seedlitos 003.JPG
seedlitos 003.JPG (74.67 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
Really odd little guy is unlike other lophantha seedlings. Looks like a pumila wannabe.
seedlitos 007.JPG
seedlitos 007.JPG (63.44 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
A. 'Celsii Nova' × A. deserti v. simplex / A. 'Celsii Nova' × A. diformis. They look very similar but the diformis hybrids are outpacing the simplex by a fair margin.
seedlitos 010.JPG
seedlitos 010.JPG (93.42 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
A. mckelveyana × A. utahensis (F2+). The photo does not capture the true drool-worthiness of this outstanding seedling.
seedlitos 012.JPG
seedlitos 012.JPG (97.09 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
A. isthmensis, a few months younger than other seedlings here but growing much, much faster.
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

18 Months

Post by Gee.S »

Containers are 2" and 4" across. Some of my seedlings are no longer coloring inside the lines. Group on the right in a 4" container now needs about 10" of elbow room. Not to mention that there are four plants in there, and each will need its own container before long. Problems, problems....
Seedlings 006.JPG
Seedlings 006.JPG (94.33 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
Seedlings 009.JPG
Seedlings 009.JPG (116.21 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
Agave

Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

They're looking great! How is that mckelveyana x utahensis doing? Is that one that you crossed yourself?
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Post by Melt in the Sun »

What in the world is that left middle plant....one of the "celsii nova" seedlings?
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Melt in the Sun wrote:What in the world is that left middle plant....one of the "celsii nova" seedlings?
I must say, I am always impressed by your sharp eye. Yes, that is one of the Nova seedlings. Sorta trippy, ain't it?
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Steph115 wrote:They're looking great! How is that mckelveyana x utahensis doing? Is that one that you crossed yourself?
That is habitat-collected seed, and those seedlings are many months behind this batch, though they are doing so well, I recently moved them into the big-boy digs.
Agave

Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

I'd be very curious to try the celsii crosses. A. deserti v. simplex will never survive in S CA, but maybe a hybrid will....
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

The simplex hybrids are struggling a bit, having fallen far behind the difformis crosses of the same age. No idea.....
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

I just experienced kinduva momentous occasion. I now have individual seedlings flying solo in 4" containers for the first time. These are of the Nova persuasion.
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Here are my strangest seedlings, without a doubt. These are from seed I collected in my yard from A. parviflora. In checking records, I am now pretty certain bloom time overlapped with A. desmettiana. Is this a freak show or what? Leaves are VERY thick. Agave "nozandensis" :))
A. parviflora × desmettiana?
parv_seed 003.JPG (135.67 KiB) Viewed 3751 times
parv_seed 002.JPG (127.51 KiB) Viewed 3751 times
A. pelona / A. parviflora × desmettiana?
A. pelona / A. parviflora × desmettiana?
parv_seed 008.JPG (66.26 KiB) Viewed 3740 times
Agave

Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Do you have a regular A. parviflora seedling to compare with your possible hybrid?
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Afraid not.... I just planted twenty more of the seed. Dunno what to expect. A mix of normals and hybrids?
Agave

Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Gee.S wrote:I just experienced kinduva momentous occasion. I now have individual seedlings flying solo in 4" containers for the first time. These are of the Nova persuasion.
Congrats! Certainly momentous. Definitely deserves a celebration.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Gee.S wrote:Afraid not.... I just planted twenty more of the seed. Dunno what to expect. A mix of normals and hybrids?
These are almost three months old now. Not much to see yet.
Attachments
A. parviflora
A. parviflora
20170716_110014-1.jpg (83.27 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

^ May get a hint of what's to come by the end of the year, though I'm already wondering about the deep guttering I see....
Agave

Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

A. parviflora × desmettiana sounds like it could be interesting. For me desmettiana is a fast & failproof grower, parviflora less so.