Reference: Online Resources

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Reference: Online Resources

Post by Gee.S »

Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
GreekDesert
Ready to Bolt

Re: Online Resources

Post by GreekDesert »

Last but not least:

http://www.agavenandmore.de/

Have a look at Michael Bechtold's Website, he has been to many Agavaceae locations and shows lots
of very nice photos.
Enjoy
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

You are right. Fabulous photo collection of Agaves in habitat which I enjoyed very much. Jkw
GreekDesert
Ready to Bolt

Post by GreekDesert »

I have visited him a few days ago and he also has a few very interesting agaves in his
collection, i will show them soon. He is also one of the greatest yucca experts i know.
OWgave
Ready to Bolt

Re: Reference: Online Resources

Post by OWgave »

Gee’s “Online Resource List” is almost 10 years old, just wondering if there are newer or additional sources to include to it?

Good Growing Everyone!

OWgave
"My worst fear is, when I die, my wife will sell my agaves at the prices I told her at what I got them for" :frown:
jnewmark
Ready to Bolt

Post by jnewmark »

This grower sells " hardy " Agaves. https://coldhardycactus.com/
westfork
Offset
USDA Zone: 4b/5a

Post by westfork »

jnewmark wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:48 am This grower sells " hardy " Agaves. https://coldhardycactus.com/
Also, they and Ethical Desert have a history of growing hardy agaves at their locations along the Front Range and share their experiences with the different forms in that environment which is a bit more similar to many of us farther northeast.
Siouxland: USDA Zone 4b/5a & heat zone 6/7. Extremes at our farm: 108 F to -38 F.
Arid grassland with dry sunny winters, moderate summers, 27" annual precipitation.
jnewmark
Ready to Bolt

Post by jnewmark »

westfork wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:53 pm
jnewmark wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:48 am This grower sells " hardy " Agaves. https://coldhardycactus.com/
Also, they and Ethical Desert have a history of growing hardy agaves at their locations along the Front Range and share their experiences with the different forms in that environment which is a bit more similar to many of us farther northeast.
I have tried many many Agaves from him; all have failed here in Zone 6A, even when covered in Winter. I used to think it was because the plants were so small, they didn't have a chance here, but now I'm not so sure.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

jnewmark wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:44 pm
I have tried many many Agaves from him; all have failed here in Zone 6A, even when covered in Winter. I used to think it was because the plants were so small, they didn't have a chance here, but now I'm not so sure.
If you aren’t in the Western half of the country and have dry conditions when temperatures drop below freezing you will never get any of those Agave to survive. I would forget both of those websites and look to places like PDN to get an idea on what might work. They have come up with a few hybrids that take quite a bit of abuse, and have found other natural Agave that do well in wet winter conditions. MJP used to be a great resource on here but he seems to have moved on.
Austin, Texas
jnewmark
Ready to Bolt

Post by jnewmark »

Meangreen94z wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:22 pm
If you aren’t in the Western half of the country and have dry conditions when temperatures drop below freezing you will never get any of those Agave to survive. I would forget both of those websites and look to places like PDN to get an idea on what might work. They have come up with a few hybrids that take quite a bit of abuse, and have found other natural Agave that do well in wet winter conditions. MJP used to be a great resource on here but he seems to have moved on.
If you are speaking of Plant Delights Nursery ( PDN ), it was where I purchased the Gracilipes " Culberson Kids", and it did make it through its first Winter here with protection. Most of their other current Agaves are not listed as my Zone , ( 6A ), except for Harvardiana, which did not last one Winter here, and a hybrid called, Agave x utahveyana ' Wikieup'. That one, I would be hesitant to try due to its Utahensis background; all Utahensis Agaves have turned to mush here, even with protection. All other listing do not go below Zone 7B. As I posted before, Funkiana seemed to be doing very well here, for about 4 Winters, then, for some reason, totally rotted. I have one left that is still going strong. These were given to me from fellow member, Abborean, who grows them in N.C.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

jnewmark wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:45 am

If you are speaking of Plant Delights Nursery ( PDN ), it was where I purchased the Gracilipes " Culberson Kids", and it did make it through its first Winter here with protection. Most of their other current Agaves are not listed as my Zone , ( 6A ), except for Harvardiana, which did not last one Winter here, and a hybrid called, Agave x utahveyana ' Wikieup'. That one, I would be hesitant to try due to its Utahensis background; all Utahensis Agaves have turned to mush here, even with protection. All other listing do not go below Zone 7B. As I posted before, Funkiana seemed to be doing very well here, for about 4 Winters, then, for some reason, totally rotted. I have one left that is still going strong. These were given to me from fellow member, Abborean, who grows them in N.C.
Yeah, utahensis is a waste of money outside desert like conditions. I gave up on trying those as well. You’ve had no success with protecting Agave ovatifolia? There’s a form of Agave asperrima I’ve seen around central Texas that didn’t burn or took tip burn from temperatures near 0°F. Other variations took more damage. Agave funkiana burned but came back from what I remember, there’s several variations though.
I had an Agave “Bluebell Giant” from PDN that basically took no damage from wet, ice, and a low of 3°F in 2/21. Several of their hybrids are rated to Zone 7 but are untested and may take lower.
Austin, Texas
OWgave
Ready to Bolt

Post by OWgave »

Hello All-

I know many of you are hardcore true blood species people, but Jeremy Spath sells both “species” and “hybrid” agaves at his “Hidden Agave” nursery:

https://hiddenagave.com/

Plus he is co-author of a pretty good picturesque agave book.

Check it out.

Cheers,
OWgave
"My worst fear is, when I die, my wife will sell my agaves at the prices I told her at what I got them for" :frown:
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

OWgave wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:49 am Hello All-

I know many of you are hardcore true blood species people, but Jeremy Spath sells both “species” and “hybrid” agaves at his “Hidden Agave” nursery:

Check it out.

Cheers,
OWgave
I’ve bought several species from him and the condition and form of his Agave are top notch.
Austin, Texas
OWgave
Ready to Bolt

Post by OWgave »

Meangreen94z wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:04 am
OWgave wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:49 am Hello All-

Check it out.

Cheers,
OWgave
I’ve bought several species from him and the condition and form of his Agave are top notch.
I as well. . . plus he is SUPER NICE!!

OWgave
jnewmark
Ready to Bolt

Post by jnewmark »

Meangreen94z wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:34 am
jnewmark wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:45 am
Yeah, utahensis is a waste of money outside desert like conditions. I gave up on trying those as well. You’ve had no success with protecting Agave ovatifolia? There’s a form of Agave asperrima I’ve seen around central Texas that didn’t burn or took tip burn from temperatures near 0°F. Other variations took more damage. Agave funkiana burned but came back from what I remember, there’s several variations though.
I had an Agave “Bluebell Giant” from PDN that basically took no damage from wet, ice, and a low of 3°F in 2/21. Several of their hybrids are rated to Zone 7 but are untested and may take lower.
Yes, Ovatifolia has made it through its first Winter here with protection, even producing a pup. ( see photo above ). Bracteosa has made it through 4 winters here in my raised bed, with Winter protection, but it takes a beating.
plantguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by plantguy »

Could you add Mountain Crest Gardens to the list?