Two elusive agaves for ID

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Agave Down Under
Offset

Re: Two elusive agaves for ID

Post by Agave Down Under »

That's awesome!!! :U :U :U
Ive been waiting for you to show that picture, i have some similar coloration and nearly all yellow, if they grow i will post some pictures!
Agave Down Under
Offset

These are a couple, potted up after removal from mother agave, in pots for about 1 month, seeing some signs new growth!!!!
Attachments
20171007_105547.jpg
20171007_105547.jpg (101.8 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
20171007_105520.jpg
20171007_105520.jpg (83.73 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
elieestephane93
Rhizome

Post by elieestephane93 »

Agave Down Under wrote:These are a couple, potted up after removal from mother agave, in pots for about 1 month, seeing some signs new growth!!!!
Beautiful plants! You seem to have a nice cactus collection too.
To be honest, i didnt quite like the thin long leaves but for now im keeping the plant as long as it's living.
The original mother plant was around 8 feet and i took a 2 feet pup from it. The original mothe olant was the one that gave me this variagated specimen and suprisingly the pup also gave a variagated baby.
Im gonna keep collecting these yellow babies maybe they'll grow on me or i'll trade them at a nursery
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

More light and newer leaves will be more compact. It's a balancing act providing enough light, but not too much to burn them. All of those I see have enough green in them to grow/survive.
elieestephane93
Rhizome

Spination wrote:More light and newer leaves will be more compact. It's a balancing act providing enough light, but not too much to burn them. All of those I see have enough green in them to grow/survive.
Thanks for your reply! What you see is the result of full sun exposure and a not so fertile soil. That was my attempt at compacting the plant but i guess thats the way it is.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Interesting. I don't see how you can do better than full sun ::wink:: , but I expect that in time, and especially as the plant matures, the form will evolve into something more compact, with shorter and wider leaves. The important thing is that it's viable, alive and growing. :U
elieestephane93
Rhizome

Yes that is the important thing! Since it's not bothering me and i have all the space i need, it's staying around.
More updates next growing season!
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agave_fan »

That plant is coming along nicely elieestephane!

My little yellow guy pictured above in this thread was doing great as well. I actually threw him out (after acclimation) to my full Texas sun and he doubled in size (was only about 4" tall to begin with) and then one night a few weeks ago, just disappeared out of the planter I had it in. I find that vermin tend to like those tender pale leaves. :cry:

Here is a picture of the mother plant to mine that is almost a perfect 50/50 with one side being mostly yellow and the other normal variegated :
agave 50 50.jpg
agave 50 50.jpg (224.82 KiB) Viewed 1148 times

It looks small due to the larger granite rocks but actually measures 36" across. The most interesting part to me is that the pups coming off the yellow side tend to look like that side while the other side produces more variegated leaves.I know there are a few members that probably shake their head when a new A. americana picture surfaces but I love the look of this 50/50 coloration as it always captures my eye in the landscape even from a distance.
abborean
Ready to Bolt

Post by abborean »

best of both worlds! I like it.
Agave Down Under
Offset

Thanks elieestephane93, one day they will grow up and be as good as yours!!!
Agave_fan that picture is amazing!!! Yes Americana is such a common agave but when it does show off itself with 50/50 coloration! Its absolutely stunning!! Keep an update on pup pictures if you can!!
elieestephane93
Rhizome

Agave_fan wrote:That plant is coming along nicely elieestephane!

My little yellow guy pictured above in this thread was doing great as well. I actually threw him out (after acclimation) to my full Texas sun and he doubled in size (was only about 4" tall to begin with) and then one night a few weeks ago, just disappeared out of the planter I had it in. I find that vermin tend to like those tender pale leaves. :cry:

Here is a picture of the mother plant to mine that is almost a perfect 50/50 with one side being mostly yellow and the other normal variegated :
agave 50 50.jpg

It looks small due to the larger granite rocks but actually measures 36" across. The most interesting part to me is that the pups coming off the yellow side tend to look like that side while the other side produces more variegated leaves.I know there are a few members that probably shake their head when a new A. americana picture surfaces but I love the look of this 50/50 coloration as it always captures my eye in the landscape even from a distance.
That plant is drop dead gorgeous!
I've read somewhere about coring variegated agaves. The concept is to get the plant to pup more of the variegated side than the normal side. But with A. Americana and the abundance of shoots im glad i don't have to think about coring!
elieestephane93
Rhizome

So this little bugger survived a very rainy winter in the shade with a couple of hailstorms. A couple of the lower leaves rotted and i thought it was a goner but pulled through. It's now in full sun (sunrise to sunset) and it's bringing out a little more color. Will post a better photo later.
Attachments
20180315_141027-1024x1069.jpg
20180315_141027-1024x1069.jpg (165.82 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
elieestephane93
Rhizome

It completely transformed! Here's how it looks at the end of the season. No signs of offshoots. I think i'll change it out of thr clay soil next season and give it more root run
Attachments
20181117_132256-1200x1600.jpg
20181117_132256-1200x1600.jpg (116.13 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

Nice, it grew quite a bit in one season for being nearly all yellow
Austin, Texas
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Reminds me quite a lot of A. murpheyi now, though terminal spines aren't right. Nice going!
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"