Agave toumeyana McDowell Sonoran Preserve Habitat

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Agave toumeyana McDowell Sonoran Preserve Habitat

Post by toditd »

I took a walk in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve in north Scottsdale last weekend. I didn't really expect to see any agaves, so I was surprised when I came across a population of Agave toumeyana. I didn't realize they grew this close in to the Valley of the Sun. They sure looked extremely dry, though, and could certainly use a bit rain!
McDowell Sonoran Preserve 20171203 - Agave toumeyana
IMG_1838.jpg (88.58 KiB) Viewed 807 times
McDowell Sonoran Preserve 20171203 - Ferocactus cylindraceus surrounded by Agave toumeyana
McDowell Sonoran Preserve 20171203 - Ferocactus cylindraceus surrounded by Agave toumeyana
IMG_1839.jpg (128.99 KiB) Viewed 807 times
IMG_1841.jpg (144.96 KiB) Viewed 807 times
McDowell Sonoran Preserve 20171203 - Agave toumeyana, Cylindropuntia bigelovii
McDowell Sonoran Preserve 20171203 - Agave toumeyana, Cylindropuntia bigelovii
IMG_1843.jpg (72.54 KiB) Viewed 807 times
IMG_1848.jpg (113.4 KiB) Viewed 807 times
McDowell Sonoran Preserve 20171203 - Cylindropuntia bigelovii, Fouquieria splendens
McDowell Sonoran Preserve 20171203 - Cylindropuntia bigelovii, Fouquieria splendens
IMG_1850.jpg (96.35 KiB) Viewed 807 times
McDowell Sonoran Preserve 20171203 - Cylindropuntia acanthocarpa, Yucca elata
McDowell Sonoran Preserve 20171203 - Cylindropuntia acanthocarpa, Yucca elata
IMG_1861.jpg (83.44 KiB) Viewed 807 times
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Agave toumeyana McDowell Sonoran Preserve Habitat

Post by Gee.S »

Yeah, there's a bunch of toumeyana on the northern slope of McDowell Peak, and more north of there in the Tom's Thumb area. Bunch of weird chrysantha in the McDowell's, as well.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

These A. toumeyana were up on a saddle on Brown's Mountain in the northern part of the McDowell Sonoran Preserve out of the Brown's Ranch Trailhead.
Brown's Mountain - McDowell Sonoran Preserve 20171203
Brown's Mountain - McDowell Sonoran Preserve 20171203
IMG_1832.jpg (87.83 KiB) Viewed 794 times
The Brown's Ranch Trailhead was a busy place with loads of mountain bikers, hence the many new trail signs in the area:
Trail sign in McDowell Sonoran Preserve 20171203
Trail sign in McDowell Sonoran Preserve 20171203
IMG_1860.jpg (52.61 KiB) Viewed 794 times
I haven't done much hiking in the McDowell's. Maybe I'll have to change that this winter/spring.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Oh I see, on the other side of Dynamite. Didn't know there is toumeyana there. You were about three miles from the Michelin Man.

Re: McDowell's -- that's some pretty tough hiking there. I live right there, so have been all over the McDowell's. The hike up to Thompson's Peak is a workout, but my favorite was a shuttle hike from Fountain Hills, up to the top of McDowell Peak, then over to Drinkwater Peak, and down and out on the Scottsdale side. Brutal.

Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

Oh yes, the Michelin Man. I've hiked by him many-a-times. (That is, if that's the one in Cave Creek Regional Park.)

Gee.S, you're a glutton for punishing workouts! (You have a great "backyard"!) The only hike I've done in the McDowell's was an easy one from Tom's Thumb Trailhead to the Marcus Landslide with a loop out into the creosote flats of McDowell Mtn Regional Park. But earlier today I was looking at a possible shuttle hike from Tom's Thumb Trailhead to the Gateway Trailhead. But that's all on park trails, not cross-country peak-hopping.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

This is a different Michelin Man, though they look quite similar.
Agave

toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

They do look remarkably alike. But the mountains in the background didn't quite look right for the Michelin Man at Cave Creek Park, thus my parenthetical question. I have not seen the one in your photo then.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

^ PM sent.
Agave

toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

Gee.S,

Correction... I have seen the Michelin Man in your photo in post #4 above. That photo is of the Michelin Man at Cave Creek Park.

The one you were referring to is shown in the first photo in your Carnegiea gigantea gallery post #9. The third photo of that gallery post is the one at CCP and is same plant in the above photo.

I went on a nice hike last weekend to see the Michelin Man you were referring to and its crested neighbor, both of which I have not seen before.

Thanks for the info. I'll post a few photos in the gallery later this weekend.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

They are FANTASTIC, aren't they?

Sorry, must have mixed them up. They are very similar. Here is the McDowell example.

Agave