Agaves on the Canary Island

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
ahek
Seedling

Agaves on the Canary Island

Post by ahek »

I visited Gran Canaria a couple of weeks ago and was hoping for some Agaves. I did see alot of "wild" Agave americana in the hills while driving but never up close...
The Agaves i did see was planted as decoration and i was having some trouble with their identification. The biggest i found was Agaves i at first thought to be A sisalana, but i found some marginal spines which i dont have on the sisalana-clone i grow at home, so my guess went to Agave fourcroydes. Also their flowering stalks were nothing but bubils.
The others i saw frequently planted and was much smaller than the huge fourcroydes and their flowering stalks was mostly bubils and some seedcapsule and hugely dameged by mealy bugs.
What do you think?
fourcroydes`?
fourcroydes`?
IMG_5195.JPG (63.42 KiB) Viewed 665 times
viviparas?
viviparas?
IMG_5193.JPG (155.77 KiB) Viewed 662 times
fourcroydes?
fourcroydes?
IMG_5194.JPG (80.2 KiB) Viewed 665 times
vivipara?
vivipara?
IMG_5545.JPG (150.08 KiB) Viewed 665 times
americana
americana
IMG_5311.JPG (72.9 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Agaves on the Canary Island

Post by Gee.S »

Nice! The only Agaves I can see well enough to ID is A. vivipara, as you say.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
ahek
Seedling

Re: Agaves on the Canary Island

Post by ahek »

I just realized i posted this in the id-section of this forum. Sorry for that.

Great, thanks. I realised when i went through the photos i didn't photograph much for identification of the biggest ones.
I did take some bubils so i guess i will post id-shots again in a few years :)