Emergency Rescue Operation

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Emergency Rescue Operation

Post by Spination »

I was wondering why this plant had gone on vacation making new pups. The answer suddenly became clear when I noticed this AM a pup poking it's head out of a drainage hole. Due to the apparent value of this plant, I needed to do something sooner, than later.
With weather turned spring for a few weeks already, plants are on the move, busy doing their new year stuff.
Pot cut up the side to avoid damage to whatever all was inside.
Yikes!
2018 02 06 a sal Fer MP #2 a.jpg
2018 02 06 a sal Fer MP #2 a.jpg (109.81 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
Very, very carefully, the white rhizomes were manipulated and pulled away from the mass, I could have cut them all off, since with roots already present, I know I could have sulfur dusted the cut ends and potted them all up, with the rhizomes slowly transforming into new plants (been there, done that). However, there is no doubt in my mind that they develop much faster if their life-line to the mother plant is left intact. Once the fragile rhizomes were hanging at the sides, I prefilled the bottom of a larger pot, carefully set the plant inside, and gently maneuvered the rhizomes near the top, and filled in the sides with more fresh cactus mix.

Operation successful, and six new plants soon to be growing faster than had I left the mess alone.
2018 02 06 a sal Fer MP #2 b.jpg
2018 02 06 a sal Fer MP #2 b.jpg (70.63 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
This is something that is represented as A. salmiana var. ferox 'Medio Picta' (https://www.smgrowers.com/products/plan ... nt_id=3844" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) - even though the ID will cause debate, I call it what it's out there as, because I have nothing better to call it. It's a fantastic, beautiful plant, whatever one thinks is the true ID.
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Re: Emergency Rescue Operation

Post by DesertDweller »

This reminds me. I once had an A. applanata 'cream spike' that I re-potted, only to find a similar situation going on. When I untangled the whole thing, I had a small runner the size of my thumb, at the end of what was probably (no exaggeration) 4-foot long runner, complete with roots along its length at various points.

I ended up doing an experiment, separating the runner as close to the mother as I could, then coiling it up in a new pot with the offset barely poking out of the soil in the center. To say it grew fast would be an understatement. I have never seen an A. applanata grow as fast as this one is doing. Went from the size of my thumb to the size of my hand in a single season. :shock:
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Yes, I believe much of that rhizome material contains nutrients enough to sustain the plant while it forms roots and even some true leaves of green to begin photosynthesis. I've usually trimmed rhizomes short (with a section of at least some roots already) - I never though of coiling it up like you did. Obviously, that was a great experiment, with a very successful result. Next time I pull off an all white rhizome with no rosette yet at the end, I'll remember that and pot up as much of it as possible, even if it means coiling it up in the pot.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

I've planted rhizomes with no discernible offsets, and presto! We have ignition.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Very cool. A good technique to keep in mind.
Drel
Seedling

Post by Drel »

So a detached rhizome of discernible size can be potted on its own? That's very good to know!
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Progress - white rhizomes exposed to light turning color as expected
2018 02 26 A sal Fer MP #2  rhizome progress.jpg
2018 02 26 A sal Fer MP #2 rhizome progress.jpg (77.65 KiB) Viewed 997 times
Now, my other of the same cultivar, but a different variegation scheme also has not had any offsets poking out of the pot from above, and even though in a larger yet pot, I decided it was time to pull it out and see what was going on. Like the other done a couple of weeks ago, a lot of rhizomes circling around the side of the pot. I pulled out 6 of them, and as per DesertDweller's technique of just leaving the whole rhizome be, I potted them all up together. I'd like to compare what, if any difference in growth is exhibited compared to the others left attached on the other plant, but manipulated so they'll be growing up out of the pot rather than trying to find a suitable drainage hole like they were.
2018 02 26 A sal Fer MP #1.jpg
2018 02 26 A sal Fer MP #1.jpg (109.64 KiB) Viewed 997 times
2018 02 25 A sal Fer MP #1 _ 6 rhizomes.jpg
2018 02 25 A sal Fer MP #1 _ 6 rhizomes.jpg (99.75 KiB) Viewed 997 times
Here's the lone offset I saved from previously harvested/grown ones - due to it's different and interesting stripey variegation scheme. Most people apparently prefer the more usual Medio Picta - I like different oddballs too. For information, the irregularly variegated one has produced completely normal (Medio Picta) offsets in the past, and this oddball came from the "normal" one. :lol:
2018 02 26 A sal Fer MP #2  P1 a.jpg
2018 02 26 A sal Fer MP #2 P1 a.jpg (93.11 KiB) Viewed 997 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Here's the group from two photos above - great progress.
2018 03 23 A sal Fer MP #1 rhizome group a.jpg
2018 03 23 A sal Fer MP #1 rhizome group a.jpg (136.55 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Here we are 2 months after that last photo, and the rosettes got big in record time. This experience has convinced me that the optimal way to harvest rhizome offsets, is to get as much of them as is possible, even if it means circling it around inside the pot under the soil line. I've never seen offsets grow faster!
Incidentally, one of them turns out to be a non-variegated sport.
2018 05 20 A sal Fer MP #1 rhizomes 2018.jpg
2018 05 20 A sal Fer MP #1 rhizomes 2018.jpg (280.28 KiB) Viewed 901 times
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

DesertDweller wrote:I ended up doing an experiment, separating the runner as close to the mother as I could, then coiling it up in a new pot with the offset barely poking out of the soil in the center. To say it grew fast would be an understatement. I have never seen an A. applanata grow as fast as this one is doing. Went from the size of my thumb to the size of my hand in a single season. :shock:
Spination wrote:Here we are 2 months after that last photo, and the rosettes got big in record time. This experience has convinced me that the optimal way to harvest rhizome offsets, is to get as much of them as is possible, even if it means circling it around inside the pot under the soil line. I've never seen offsets grow faster!
Incidentally, one of them turns out to be a non-variegated sport.
Nice! So my experience was probably not unique or a fluke. D))

Thanks for sharing the update, always good to get more data points! :U
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Yup, and it was the reading of your comment that inspired me to follow suit. It was one of those things that you read, and instantly realize it's just so logical and sounds so right. So thanks! Anyway, this is my go-to method from here on out. Of course, this really only applies to potted agave. I can't see digging up an established plant just to harvest more rhizome with the offset... ::wink:: Also, it seems it would only be a potted plant that would send it's rhizome circling around in search of a good exit point (like a drain hole out of the bottom :lol: not so good actually!). Anyway, pretty awesome that all that extra rhizome length has a useful purpose after it's all removed from the mother plant.

EDIT - oh by the way... the other plant which I left the rhizomes attached but manipulated them so that they were then poking out of the soil line - those offsets are 1/2 the size of the ones that were completely removed but including as much length as was available there to cut off...