Thelocactus setispinus

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.

Moderator: mcvansoest

Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Cactaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Geoff

Thelocactus setispinus

Post by Geoff »

Thelocactus setispinus CSSA San Gab 11-13.jpg
Thelocactus setispinus CSSA San Gab 11-13.jpg (137.72 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
RCS
Offset

Re: Thelocactus setispinus

Post by RCS »

Thelocactus setispinus
Attachments
Thelocactus setispinus
Thelocactus setispinus
IMG_4284.JPG (77.76 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

I find this bloom color discrepancy rather disturbing. Are these really all the same species?
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

The blooms of the plant in the second post appear correct, but it gives no good view of the cactus. In the first post, the 2nd picture looks a lot like the plant I have, but the 1st and the 3rd with the purple flowers have very different spinage. Combining that with the purple flowers would appear to suggest a different species. I am on my way to work, but can do some literature research as to flower color - some species do have that wide a range in possible flower color - when I get back home.
It is what it is!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

That's kind of what I was thinking. I'll shoot Geoff a PM, so he can look into it as well.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

RCS
Offset

Post by RCS »

Here is a picture of the same plant at a previous blooming with a visitor hoping for a free meal to come along. This little plant will flower all summer long for me. I'v read that it can be grown from seed to flowering in one year. I think the non blooming plant in the third picture and the plant in the second picture are T. setispinus and the blooming plants with pinkish flowers are both T. bicolor.

Bob
Attachments
Thelocactus setispinus
Thelocactus setispinus
IMG_4251.JPG (89.17 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Hi Bob,

Nice picture! Yep definitely T. setispinus that plant. Mine did not quite continuously flower last summer, but pretty close to it.

Here are a couple of shots of mine showing some flowers:
DSC_0267.jpg
DSC_0267.jpg (64 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg (34.94 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
It has outgrown its hanging basket completely, moving it to bigger ground based pot in the next few weeks.
It is what it is!
RCS
Offset

Post by RCS »

Great pics mcvansoest. I see you live in Mesa Arizona, Are you close to Mesa Garden? that is one place I would really like to see. Made several orders from them and got some beautiful plants. All Cactus, haven't tried their Agaves yet.

Bob
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

And another few flower shots, that I think came out really well:
DSC_0793.jpg
DSC_0793.jpg (49.68 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
DSC_0926.jpg
DSC_0926.jpg (67.66 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
DSC_0927.jpg
DSC_0927.jpg (81.58 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
It is what it is!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

RCS wrote:Great pics mcvansoest. I see you live in Mesa Arizona, Are you close to Mesa Garden? that is one place I would really like to see. Made several orders from them and got some beautiful plants. All Cactus, haven't tried their Agaves yet.

Bob
Mesa Garden is in New Mexico.
Agave

mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

RCS wrote:Great pics mcvansoest. I see you live in Mesa Arizona, Are you close to Mesa Garden? that is one place I would really like to see. Made several orders from them and got some beautiful plants. All Cactus, haven't tried their Agaves yet.

Bob
Hi Bob,

The Mesa Garden you are talking about is in New Mexico... so unfortunately I am not very close. Not crazy far, but far enough that it would have to be a multi-day planned trip. I have a hard time making it out to the Tucson nurseries and those are at most an hour and a half drive away, so while it has been on my to do list, I am not sure when I will get around to it ::wink:: .

I think I agree with your assessment that the pink flowered cacti in photos of the first post are T. bicolor. As far as I can tell T. setispinus has the yellow flowers with the red centers as so apparent from the other pictures.

Thijs (for those of you who are wondering saying 'Tice' is a pretty close approximation as to how to pronounce that, and it is short for Matthijs, which is the Dutch version of Matthew - I tried to go by Matt when I moved to the US, but my brain is not wired to react to that, so 'Tice' it is)
It is what it is!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

I agree, but let's wait for Geoff to weigh in before making any moves.
Agave

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I have nothing to weigh... Huntington garden plants identified by the Huntington garden people... either I read the wrong label or they were incorrectly identified
RCS
Offset

Post by RCS »

Mcvansoest Thanks for correcting my error about Masa Garden. I guess my brain was on vacation somewhere out there.
Great pictures of your plants. It's a good one to have around that can take our rain and humidity and really show off. Finished off the year with 67 inches of rain. Been a wet one even for us.

Bob