Cereus forbesii spiralis

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.

Moderator: mcvansoest

Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Cactaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
mickthecactus

Cereus forbesii spiralis

Post by mickthecactus »

IMG_2919.JPG
IMG_2919.JPG (189.1 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
I saw this at some public gardens yesterday and this was the name it was given.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Re: Cereus forbesii spiralis

Post by Viegener »

I've got 4 of these coming along, all from a nursery in Italy (via eBay). Interesting look, unlike anything else.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

It is seriously weird.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt

Post by Viegener »

They're variable. Some are really nice and tight, others are looser. Apparently they can get 6' tall. I like them for variety as it's a shape you seldom see in the garden: the spiral. I had a spiraling Euphorbia hybrid from Arid Lands that just rotted from too much summer watering, but it's much smaller and the spirals are less pronounced.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt

Post by Viegener »

Here's where I got mine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/cereus-forbesii ... SwYHxWPwOF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Next time I walk the dog I will need to bring a camera. There is a very nice cereus sp. 'spiralis' growing in someone's yard on one of my dog walking routes. With all these Cerei varieties/monstrosities I am always a bit skeptical about knowing the actual species, so hence me nog committing to anything other than Cereus sp. for the plant in my neighborhood. It is decidedly taller than 6'.
It is what it is!