Trachycarpus martianus

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Areca, Bismarckia, Brahea, Jubaea, Parajubaea, Phoenix and other Palm species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Trachycarpus martianus

Post by Stan »

Plus some local bizzez getting larger by the month.
Attachments
IMG_7951.JPG
IMG_7951.JPG (94.6 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
IMG_7950.JPG
IMG_7950.JPG (96.35 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
IMG_7949.JPG
IMG_7949.JPG (73.8 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Tony C
Bulbil

Re: What Trachycarpus (?) is this?

Post by Tony C »

Stan could the first one not be Bismarckia nobilis?
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Re: What Trachycarpus (?) is this?

Post by Stan »

Yes it is. I always forget that last photo posted becomes first photo seen on the topic. Somebody said T.martianus on hardy palm board. Could be.
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Re: Trachycarpus martianus

Post by Luc »

I'm agree with B. nobilis for thé first one. Have you a photo where we can see the trunk for the other ? But yes, why not T. martianus.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

That's a 6' foot fence Luc. So,it has some trunk. Its much bulkier now then last I saw- look at those petioles! HUGE! I might try again. At least potted for a while. He has 2 maybe 3 in this yard plus a Mountain palms and various interesting things.
Epiphyte
Offset

Post by Epiphyte »

That Trachycarpus is pretty nice. I really like seeing orchids on palms. The orchids really stand out. The problem with palms though is that they grow soooooo slow. It takes way too long for a palm to get large enough to attach an orchid to. And it's not like you can grow palms from cuttings. Somebody needs to create the palm version of Aloe Hercules.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

It depends. Hardy palms can grow 3-6' a year. I think I attached a Ripsalis to my Trachy..it looks good. But,has it attached? I don't know for sure- too much fiber. I have a Laelyia on my King palm. But,a tree is much more easier.
Plant one Mexican fan palm and you will have another new 3 or 4' of planting room every year for the next 50 years :D Those boots would hold a mini world of Orchids.
Epiphyte
Offset

Post by Epiphyte »

Stan, I have difficulty wrapping my mind around 6'/year. My Pygmy Date palm grows 6'/century.

If you get a chance, you might like some of these palm pics that my Ficus friend has recently uploaded to Flickr. There's more palm pics after the desert pics. I was probably most impressed with the Hyphaene growing and starting to branch in Southern California. I somehow missed the memo that they can grow here.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Those rates are from what I read others got. The best I get is 1' from A.cunninghammiana. Its been said that the illawara King has grown 6' a year in the bay area. I'm a bit dubious,but thats what he said..wrote.
That link on page 5 has a magnificent Weltwitschia mirabilis growing in ground in Palm Desert Ca. I heard they could be grown in soucal..but that one could be in Namibia.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Amazing photo stream from a lot of places I want to visit... great palm pics! Saw 2/3 of it and took me over 3 hours ... looking forward to seeing the rest.