ID Please

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Areca, Bismarckia, Brahea, Jubaea, Parajubaea, Phoenix and other Palm species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

ID Please

Post by Jkwinston »

I came across this lovely palm which had no label. Have a try. Jkw
Attachments
Rio de Janneiro BG
Rio de Janneiro BG
137x.jpg (182.51 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
Geoff

Re: ID Please

Post by Geoff »

any close ups of leaves and/or trunk? Does it have a crownshaft?

Reminds me a bit of a Satakentia... but a lot of tropical palms could be this plant... depends a lot of what the rest of the palm looks like
Satakentia.JPG
Satakentia.JPG (239.81 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Sorry Geoff, I did not take any close ups, but looking at the trunk of your Satakentia I don't think they are a match. I have another one which will give you a close up. Have a look. The former palm had a trunk similar to this one. I am wondering if they are related. Jkw
Rio de Janeiro BG
Rio de Janeiro BG
072x.jpg (162.72 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
Rio de Janeiro BG
Rio de Janeiro BG
073x.jpg (149.16 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
Rio de Janeiro BG
Rio de Janeiro BG
074x.jpg (130.01 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

you're correct... certainly is not even close. NO crownshaft... lots of teeth along the petioles. Looks like a spineless Phoenix, but pretty sure it's' not one of those, either... may be a pretty rare genus... I will work on it. Possibly a Phytelephas species (the Tagua nut palms). Fruits will be distinctive in this palm, but if no fruit on palm, looks pretty ordinary. I cannot find a detailed description of the leaves right now to see if they have lots of teeth on them like your palm, but sure fits otherwise. Very tropical species (we cannot grow this one in California).

Only picture I have of any Phytelephas is P seemanii, which is a more unusual suckering species, with wider leaflets.. but you get sort of the idea.
Phytelaphas seemanii.JPG
Phytelaphas seemanii.JPG (163.25 KiB) Viewed 1437 times