Palm Weevil

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Areca, Bismarckia, Brahea, Jubaea, Parajubaea, Phoenix and other Palm species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

GreekDesert
Ready to Bolt

Palm Weevil

Post by GreekDesert »

This Phoenix canariensis I have grown from seed, it is about 25 years old. about 500 m away there is a Phoenix, which is infested by the palm weevil and just dies, I fear that my Phoenix, the same could happen. Does anyone know what you can do about it, is still alive, the palm, or it may be here to a different pattern of damage?
Attachments
GR 2014 3441.jpg
GR 2014 3441.jpg (99.03 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
Geoff

Re: Palm Weevil

Post by Geoff »

thankfully I have never had a problem with this sort of bug... sorry I can't advise... just glad I don't live where some of these bugs are common.
palmofan
Seedling

Post by palmofan »

I am sorry for your palms, me too have many palm seedlings that I grew from seed and I would be very sorry if some of them perish in this way. Now, in Croatia too, that bug have appeared and is relentlessly destroys the palm. On a local forum I read that the insecticide Confidor is very effective against this pest.
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Post by Luc »

Yes, it looks like a Rhynchophorus ferrugineus attack and as Palmofran said, Confidor will be effective.
A biocontrol solution is effective also and can treat the palm's butterfly (Paysandisia archon) in the same time.
It contain nematodes called : Steinernema carpocapsae.

Another solution could be applied, it's named : cleansing or purifying, and consist in removal of all the leaves and only keep the birth of the central bud. Then you have to treat with Confidor and fungicidal. Of course, all the parts being remove, must be destroyed (Fire).

Take a look at this link, see the set of photos on the right part of the page : http://www.fredonpaca.fr/Lutte,63.html? ... 5ed0d2027e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GreekDesert
Ready to Bolt

Post by GreekDesert »

palmofan wrote:I am sorry for your palms, me too have many palm seedlings that I grew from seed and I would be very sorry if some of them perish in this way. Now, in Croatia too, that bug have appeared and is relentlessly destroys the palm. On a local forum I read that the insecticide Confidor is very effective against this pest.
Last year my biggest butia died, I had about 15 years and could not imagine why. The pattern of damage I've unfortunately only seen when it was too late ... bad.
Thanks for the tip with the Confidor®, it will immediately buy and test.
My palm was repeatedly doused with lye soaps, hope this has helped a little. at least has the damaged image does not deteriorate
GreekDesert
Ready to Bolt

Post by GreekDesert »

@ Luc:

thanks for the good tip with the nematode and the interesting link. Here in Germany we are also combating Otiorhynchus with nematodes, nothing else works. Fortunately, there are the buy here, they will alternately use with Confidor® and write about my successes hopefully soon.
As far as I could see attacks like this weevil also yuccas, fresh interfaces have to scroll. have you already heard of it?
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Post by Luc »

Yes, I already heard but never personally seen damages on Yucca; The Agaves might be attacked also.... I hope not.