Palm Species for this site

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Areca, Bismarckia, Brahea, Jubaea, Parajubaea, Phoenix and other Palm species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Geoff

Palm Species for this site

Post by Geoff »

There are thousands of palm species, but I think for the purposes of keeping in line with the xeric nature of the other plants on this site, I will limit my additions to cold and drought hardy palms (i.e. the ones that can survive in the mainland US... there are thousands more that grow great in Hawaii but there is little point to adding those here).
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: Palm Species for this site

Post by Stan »

Geoff,the local Union city has cut off all watering of its hundreds of palms. Many many young ones like Wine palms and I see that Parajubea are now on their own. SO far they look good. They were given a needless frond pruning. From coconut palm look to now that "pineapple" like look. Are the Parajubs considered dry palms?
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Not normally Arid, but they are pretty drought tolerant once very well established… but then lots of palms are once well established.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

obviously I changed my mind and am adding every species of palm I have photos of... lots of work, but will be nice to have all the photos in one place.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Vietchia photo's needed here. I have seedlings I suspect are of them. From Miami area.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I am plowing through the alphabet... Veitchia is obviously coming up, but will be a bit still until I get to the 'V's... sorry.