Brahea decumbens?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Areca, Bismarckia, Brahea, Jubaea, Parajubaea, Phoenix and other Palm species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

AgaveGuy
Seedling

Brahea decumbens?

Post by AgaveGuy »

I have a plant given to me as Brahea decumbens. It fits the description, is very silver, has not formed a trunk and has never bloomed.

I have three other plants located about 15 feet away that I purchased as B. decumbens. Two are more green and one is more silver, but not as silver as the gift plant above. These three plants are forming short reclining trunks about 18 inches above ground, have bloomed regularly for the last five years and set viable seed.

All these plants were installed about 15 years ago (the trunk-forming plants were in quarts and the trunkless plant was a one gallon). Growing conditions are essentially identical. Supposedly all were grown from seed collected in habitat. Web resources state B. decumbens does not form an above ground trunk and does not set viable seed in the U.S. due to lack of pollinators. What gives? A friend suggests the trunked plants may be natural hybrids.

P.S. The photos are reversed from my text. I can't figure out how to switch them. Sorry for the poor photos - it's a foggy, overcast day.
Attachments
P5250002.JPG
P5250002.JPG (110.28 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
P5250001.JPG
P5250001.JPG (128.01 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Brahea decumbens?

Post by Gee.S »

Use the "Place Inline" button for each upload to place the photos exactly where you want. It also eliminates the postage stamp effect.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
NorthFlgrower

Re: Brahea decumbens?

Post by NorthFlgrower »

Some Brahea decumbens form small trunks like you mention. If you want to sell those seeds I'd be interested.

A few of those are silvery as armata/clara :U