Trachycaerpus in pots.

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Areca, Bismarckia, Brahea, Jubaea, Parajubaea, Phoenix and other Palm species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Trachycaerpus in pots.

Post by SC FM »

Here is a large number of potted Trachycarpus fortunei that I had not sold. I just gave them at the old place because I had no place for them here. They were going to sell at Flea market. They sat outside in pots year around. They froze in pot several times with no ill effect, or I guess they did since I never ever took them inside during winter. I had a few hundred more that are not in the picture. I am not in good enough health any more to fool with them is why I left them. I did bring a large number and Planted them as a thick hedge at rear of my property, they are doing great. I also put a nice clump in front of my fence to block view of patio from neighbors eyesight and three others for other sites in my yard. The largest ones I had were taken while my house was empty and had not yet sold. I did not have any large ones left to bring here..
Attachments
DSC00504.JPG
DSC00504.JPG (163.35 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: Trachycaerpus in pots.

Post by Stan »

I thought for years of doing that with extras and such. But- 1. you need to have room. 2. the water needs of plants to be sold makes a profit iffy for a backyard grower. And then- is there a need for what I have propagates easily? shrub Senecio's- tree daisy's- might sell in SF or Berkeley..but in the suburbs they are unknown.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

Sometimes I pot up extras & leave them on the ground near the parents. That way the water seeps out of the pot & into the ground.

I think any amateur grower would have to really think through how to profitably grow plants to sell. At best it seems to me like a good way to offset the money we all spend on uncommon or hard to find plants.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

I only knew one person who sold from what he grew in his yard...but he was a professional,and even with his job giving him huge access to plants and cuttings and seeds,it was what he did on the job that paid the bills. Most of his backyard was pots and plant benches..not a great look.

In California what was the most inoffensive of hobbys for decades,needing only the cheapest of commodities in water,air and soils..is now almost criminal! "Does that need water? we are in a drought you know!" Not too mention non natives guilt tripping...boy :roll: :lol:
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Post by SC FM »

Wll, stan , at the time there was a Scots plant that made up potting soil mixes for the commercial market. . They only bagged and sold the mix that had correct water content etc. the mix that fell on floor they did not bag. They sold it for $35.00 per pickup load. I mean heaped as high as it could carry. I got my soil for next to nothing. I went there about 4 different times and bought soil. They supposedly sold only to commercial licensed growers, but I gave them the name of my Company, LOl, that was that. I quit potting much after they quit selling the excess. It was a great hobby and I actually made a lot of money selling plants, but The man at the place I sold them, that let me set up shop in front of their place, died and I could no longer sell there. I tried several other sites but did not sell much. I never did get to the flea markets. I just got tired of loading up, etc. Anyway fun while it lasted, LOL.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt

Post by Viegener »

Confession here: I regularly go to my local independent nursery to scrounge through their trash bin, where I get lots of soil and great used pots. I'm not really that hard up, but I do see how it really adds up when you keep ordering new fancy plants. Plus I get make lots of starts to give to friends...
Attachments
nothing in this pic cost me any $.JPG
nothing in this pic cost me any $.JPG (88.58 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Post by SC FM »

Are the Echeveria, Echeveria liliacina? ...why not forage if you have the time. When I grew all the potted palms in the post I sent, I got all the nursery pots for free. I hauled off three pickup truck loads form a nursery. They were glad for me to get them saving them a trip to landfill. I saw all of them stacked and I asked if they ever give any away or sell any. They said no, but I could have all of them if I could haul them off. I obliged with pleasure. LOL>
Viegener
Ready to Bolt

Post by Viegener »

It's an Echeveria but I don't know the variety. It's from a friends garden, who took cuttings from in front of a fancy Beverly Hills store. They are very silvery and grow quite wide with nice fat leaves. The picture doesn't do them justice, in part because these were grown in too much shade - you can see they're etiolated.