Palms everywhere.

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Areca, Bismarckia, Brahea, Jubaea, Parajubaea, Phoenix and other Palm species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Palms everywhere.

Post by Stan »

Not that many places in the bay area so palmcentric. This is one in Fremont. Fremont has the largest Wine palms in the state,largest Ficus macrophylla in all of norcal,and the home of the Fremont Mango tree. Warm summers,low frost in winter. I also know of the guys how work in the city that way and they are HUGE into exotics. Dragon tree's- Mexican flowrering tree's...anyways I could go on.
Attachments
IMG_8470.JPG
IMG_8470.JPG (82.57 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Re: Palms everywhere.

Post by Meangreen94z »

Nice. Palms are common along the coast of Texas, usually within 30 -50 miles of the Gulf. Beyond that and I think winter frost make most varieties a hassle. You still see them here or there.
Austin, Texas
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Meangreen94z wrote:Nice. Palms are common along the coast of Texas, usually within 30 -50 miles of the Gulf. Beyond that and I think winter frost make most varieties a hassle. You still see them here or there.
I wish we had a few more south texas posters/members. The Rio Valley is a real unique climate..Coconut palms growing next to a Ficus lyrata that had been frozen to the trunk..and came back like it was once again in the tropics. Sort of like a bay area climate on warm steroids.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

Yeah, the very southern tip near Brownsville has a climate similar to South Florida. It would be nice, except that’s not where the majority of the good paying careers in Texas are.
Austin, Texas